British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

Actually Leicester charge £15 for adults and Coventry's went up to £17 this season but concessions are the same price - £13. Agree with you though speedway is too expensive for the amount of racing we see.

I'm not sure that argument, regarding 15 mins of racing, stacks up. When you you go to a sporting event you pay for the event, regardless of length. Otherwise speedway would cost £2.50 and one day cricket £150, it doesn't work like that. If I look at my local non league football club, Halesowen Town, who play in some lowly tier, it costs £8 to get in - and that's to watch plumbers and postmen play football. For £17 I could watch Moseley rugby club in the second tier of British rugby (I think- can't be bothered to check it up). I can watch the current world championship leader ride a speedway bike for the same cost.

What's more If a PL club cuts admission costs to £10, with presumably similar discounts to concessions, then each promoter is going to need another 50% extra fans to turn up just to be in the same position. If Worky, or any other club, did so would another x hundred fans suddenly turn up and then keep on turning up, I'm really not sure they would

Edited by Kester
  • Like 2

Depends on the choice of guests as I know Newcastle were not happy with the make up of Plymouths team last week and the crowd was well down because of it. Bet Newcastle would of been happy if all the missing fans had of paid half price

pricing is a big part of the financing and whatnot, where figures will be used to project income and a break even points.

it doesnt really make financial sense to alter the budget in hope that it will have a massive effect on the crowd. if people dont want to watch guests, i don't think reducing the price to 7.50 for one week will put 800 back on the crowd.

15 x 500 people equals 7,500 in taken revenue, 7.50 x 1300 equals 9,750. it would be financial suicide, considering those 800 fans would've only raised an extra 2.5k, meaning he'd still be 500 down. bare in mind this is the best case scenario, if they had reduced the admission and even an extra 500 turned up, then he'd be making the same as he did off 500 at full price. only hope in hell they'd have by dropping prices is banking on A) these extra supporters turning up, and B ) them spending money on extras such as food and drink. it would be financial suicide to try that on a dreary, wet september night with a massive rugby match the following day. to make that work, they shouldve done it during the summer, on a weekend where the weather was good, before the football season started and when workington town were away on the sunday. they could have offered an extra dimension to the product, some other attraction on or gimmick whilst also offering cheap speedway. also where there was a full team to support, this extra, one off income would go some way to cover any such rainy days in future.

Edited by roo
  • Like 2

I'm not sure that argument, regarding 15 mins of racing, stacks up. When you you go to a sporting event you pay for the event, regardless of length. Otherwise speedway would cost £2.50 and one day cricket £150, it doesn't work like that. If I look at my local non league football club, Halesowen Town, who play in some lowly tier, it costs £8 to get in - and that's to watch plumbers and postmen play football. For £17 I could watch Moseley rugby club in the second tier of British rugby (I think- can't be bothered to check it up). I can watch the current world championship leader ride a speedway bike for the same cost.

By the same token, you can watch a Grasstrack meeting for around £10.00, including programme and watch race after race for about 4 hours, which I call value.

didn't want to but must "knobhead"

Try reading the post i was responding to do you honestly believe as a comets fan i get pleasure from someone else taking our place in competitions?.It was a sarcastic reply obviously wasted on you ,and you call me a dickhead

By the same token, you can watch a Grasstrack meeting for around £10.00, including programme and watch race after race for about 4 hours, which I call value.

You can and it is. But that can be done due to the calibre of rider and the amount of money they'll be taking from a meeting.

I'm not sure that argument, regarding 15 mins of racing, stacks up. When you you go to a sporting event you pay for the event, regardless of length.

Well, we certainly get our moneys worth at Coventry then as meetings normally take forever to get through. :lol:

I don't think I was really just referring to 15 minutes of racing when I posted (could have done though - I'm a woman so who knows?) I've been a supporter for long enough to remember when we did get value for money - a league meeting followed by a second half, probably 20 or more races in all, whereas now at most tracks it's just the league match and that's it.

I don't class all the preparation, digging and gardening at the tapes an entertaining part of the event . Add to that the fact that some riders can't even be bothered to come round after winning a race so the fans can show their appreciation makes me think speedway is quite an expensive night out, so yes on second thoughts I probably was referring to just 15 minutes of racing. :wink:

Oh....and don't get me started on them all returning to the pits for 5 minutes after a false start. That's not entertaining either. :mad:

I can watch the current world championship leader ride a speedway bike for the same cost.

Well, you're lucky then because I've only seen him once this season way back at the beginning of April. :neutral:

You can and it is. But that can be done due to the calibre of rider and the amount of money they'll be taking from a meeting.

I recently went to a local Grasstrack, the racing was excellent. It was only a centre meeting, but the standard was great. I still believe fans can enjoy a speedway night out, without big name riders who are bleeding the sport dry and those riders, riding bikes which are comparitively cheap to maintan. The sport needs to cut it's cloth accordingly.

• Like 1

Try reading the post i was responding to do you honestly believe as a comets fan i get pleasure from someone else taking our place in competitions?.It was a sarcastic reply obviously wasted on you ,and you call me a dickhead

apologies, missread, thought it was an away fan having a pop!

Fingers crossed for my Comet friends.

It will be a sad day for speedway if you guys go under.

• Like 6

I recently went to a local Grasstrack, the racing was excellent. It was only a centre meeting, but the standard was great. I still believe fans can enjoy a speedway night out, without big name riders who are bleeding the sport dry and those riders, riding bikes which are comparitively cheap to maintan. The sport needs to cut it's cloth accordingly.

Some will, but others would say 'well if the standards not as high then I won't bother'. It's a double edged sword I think, typical of the problems which speedway is mired in.

Fingers crossed for my Comet friends.

It will be a sad day for speedway if you guys go under.

Well my good friend , its either Newcastle Diamonds or the Redcar Bears , think I might be joining your gang :wink: , a sad day in Worky today , only hope we can see the season out

• Like 1

Some will, but others would say 'well if the standards not as high then I won't bother'. It's a double edged sword I think, typical of the problems which speedway is mired in.

Agreed. It's unfortunate, but there are so many on here who know exactly how others should lose their money.

In the case in question, Speedway is every week, grass tracking, and say stocks, are as and when, so the committment is less and more optional.

Speedway is now too expensive and costs have to be lowered, which means less rider wages, not that they don't deserve what they get and more but some riders want too much such as a big signing on fees, help with machinery, help with accomodation, and the problem is Speedway has not got enough support to warrant this outlay, on the other hand look at the cost riders have to pay for tuning, servicing etc..

Perhaps if Speedway brought in standard machinery which would be cheaper for the rider to maintain, which in turn would make rider costs lower, then hopefully costs through the turnstyles could be cut encouraging supporters back through the gates, just an idea don't know if it could work.

Good post ,riders have to play their part or they will be out of a job too.

......... Speedway is every week, grass tracking, and say stocks, are as and when, so the committment is less and more optional.

There are a number of stockcar tracks that run weekly, indeed some, particularly in the holiday season running a couple of times a week.

The key difference isn't the commitment, it's the financial outlay. In all but the really top formulas, the competitors will pay an entry fee to compete. So all the promoter has to provide is some trophies and possibly some prize money - often covered by sponsorship. Indeed the same is often true for club grasstrack meetings.

Somehow I would doubt if the average speedway rider would agree to pay an entrance fee to race, and accept the odd trophy and a bit of prize money for their time and trouble.

Given that, and the current economic situation is it reasonable to expect promotions to try and put on a show every week? Are 25-30 home meetings still viable? I think there are a lot of people reaching the conclusion, that less is probably more.

• Like 1

But the standards don't have to drop Kester. If the same talented riders are riding bikes which are cheaper to buy and maintain, the rider wil be the 'winner'. If the riders expenses are less, the rider will need less pay, therefore takes pressure off the promoter. If the pressure is off the promoter he can reduce admission prices. And it is just possible you may see gates increase. I don't believe fans need to see 4 riders go around a shale track faster and faster. What they want, me included, is good, close, skillfull racing, which can be achieved at less speed. One of the best races I saw at the recent Grasstrack I attended was the 350 cc racing. Not as fast as the 500 cc, but the racing was close and 'nip and tuck'.

• Like 1