British Speedway Forum

I am, as most of you know a Robins fan through and through. However, I am confused by this "can't afford" issue as SWINdon have agreed to purchase Nick Morris, made an offer (rejected quickly by Peterborough) for Hans and (as many seem to forget) purchased Jason Doyle from Poole (before all these shenanigans started) only not to be able to use him this season, although he "figures in SWINdon's future plans." Only not to have the cash to splash on buying Batchelor. The club is one of the best supported in the country week-in-week-out and therefore should have a decent income stream, which must be enhanced by the sponsorship from Excalibur and the fact that people will want to support the reigning champions. Can anyone explain this to me in basic economic terms?

Doyle was swapped for Magic

• Like 1

You need to remember as well that it was a very wet year last year (we had 21 postponements home and away) so that is bound to have had a major impact on cash flow - new sponsorship or not!

You need to remember as well that it was a very wet year last year (we had 21 postponements home and away) so that is bound to have had a major impact on cash flow - new sponsorship or not!

Why spunk a couple of grand away on pointless away racesuits then?

• Like 3

Maybe terms of the sponsorship??

• Like 1

swindon have only been very clever if there digging there heals approach actualy pays of/ team sanctioned without reprecussions

if they've managed to do that good luck to them,

Think both Swindon and Peterborough can both equally be accused of `digging their heals`.

• Like 2

Perhaps the sponsors whose colours are erm purple deemed that as part of the deal?...in other words perhaps they paid for the suits to gain there good selves publicity and advertising.....'spunk' away...theres a new one on me! Btw they look terrific and they should certainly 'cream' plenty of extra wonga through Swindon using them.....despite what the Peterborough grumpers think about Swindon since Rosco came back the club has been transformed publicity wise and sponsorship also....what other clubs would be able to entice the likes of Oakley Forcefield Castrol uk and Under Armor?...the latter being apt considering they supply Wales RFU with there shirt sponsorship and now the most famous welshman Rosco himself with his rugby shirt lol

• Like 1

A couple of grand? And the rest!

Perhaps the sponsors whose colours are erm purple deemed that as part of the deal?...in other words perhaps they paid for the suits to gain there good selves publicity and advertising.....'spunk' away...theres a new one on me! Btw they look terrific and they should certainly 'cream' plenty of extra wonga through Swindon using them.....despite what the Peterborough grumpers think about Swindon since Rosco came back the club has been transformed publicity wise and sponsorship also....what other clubs would be able to entice the likes of Oakley Forcefield Castrol uk and Under Armor?...the latter being apt considering they supply Wales RFU with there shirt sponsorship and now the most famous welshman Rosco himself with his rugby shirt lol

Agreed 'shocks', the new race suits are innovative and very impressive. Where have you been this close season? Probably like me, bored of the pages and pages of 'Swindongate'....... ;)

Think both Swindon and Peterborough can both equally be accused of `digging their heals`.

Indeed, and Swindon have come out with what they wanted. :approve:

If only Peterborough hadn't been so bloody-minded this whole sorry episode could have been avoided.

• Like 2

I don't see why? The BSPA said Swindon had to buy Troy, so that what they have to do. Just announcing you have signed someone doesn't mean anything. As I mentioned in the last post, Coventry once announced Scott Nicholls was replacing Olly Allen but the BSPA made up a rule that week and the team was declared illegal and Scotts points were removed from the next meeting and Coventry had to re-declare. So just because Swindon have announced the signing the BSPA can still veto it. I can't see how the BSPA can possibly allow this one without looking like push overs and cannot run the sport and it need someone independent running it.

As I said, they'd backed themselves into a corner (probably on purpose) and couldn't do anything else but do nothing. If Harkess & co had said that Batchelor should be purchased by Swindon then push overs is quite kind for our silent incompetent masters. Swindon got what they wanted so fair play on that one for taking advantage of their uselessness. I doubt that it'll be painless and it'll be interesting to see whether the BSPA MC thought Patchett showed respect throughout the winter? Although the BSPA are incapable of thought and have probably slept through it all.

Edited by Crump99

If only they were

Indeed, and Swindon have come out with what they wanted. :approve:

If only Peterborough hadn't been so bloody-minded this whole sorry episode could have been avoided.

What's bloody-minded got to do with it? That's why the BSPA MC exist, well in theory anyway! On January 10 it was reported that Harkess will rule on the protracted transfers at a BSPA management committee meeting on Tuesday (Jan 15 we assume). If Harkess & co had a clue then they could have put an end to it there or at least on Feb 15 when Andersen was allegedly discussed.

Edited by Crump99

If Swindon supposedly only budgeted to make one purchase for this season, having already agreed to buy Morris, why put a bid on the table to initially buy Hans? OK, it was reportedly very quickly withdrawn - no doubt because the MC ruled that Batch had to be purchased!!

What's bloody-minded got to do with it? That's why the BSPA MC exist, well in theory anyway! On January 10 it was reported that Harkess will rule on the protracted transfers at a BSPA management committee meeting on Tuesday (Jan 15 we assume). If Harkess & co had a clue then they could have put an end to it there or at least on Feb 15 when Andersen was allegedly discussed.

What frustrates me is all of the cloak and dagger that goes on with the bspa etc, just put your findings and decissions in the public domain then we can all stop guessing!

• Like 2

Bloody minded is when you are clearly not going to get your own way yet you continue to muck along, in a sulky strop, holding out hope that it will all go your way. Far better to see it how it is and then make the best of it.

Look, we are all going to be tribal about this so there is very little point in continuing the conversation. If Swindon are seen to be in the wrong then they will have to pay the penalty. I'm sure they have considered this. I'd have preferred they'd just paid the money, if only to shut you Peterborough fans up, but they saw a way out and, not unsurprisingly, took it. As I say, its hard to blame them if Peterborough didn't want to play ball.

We'll see what happens I guess but all I know is Troy looked good in purple. :P

• Like 1