British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barrow boy

New Starting Proceedures.

Don't know if this has been suggested before , but why not put the tapes on a timer , once the ref puts the green light on there will be say 5 seconds until the tapes go up , anyone who charges the tapes and hits them gets thrown out

The time delay needs to vary from heat to heat, otherwise it would be too predictable.

A computer chip could be used that would vary the timing between the minimum and maximum times. Gets rid of a person being predictable.

• Like 2

Interesting article in the Newcastle vs Edinburgh prog about a local supporter with an engineering background who has proposed replacing the starting gate & tapes with a laser beam arrangement for both the front and rear areas which might also eliminate movement before the start.

In theory, it would appear to be a more reliable and effective system, and I would guess that it would not be too costly.

Hope this idea gets to the prototype testing stage as it could improve this part of racing.

• Like 2

A system could be used similar to motor racing. Transponders used to monitor movement, do away with tapes & have an overhead/track canopy 20/25metres down from the start with red lights for ready & then green for go. All the riders are facing forward which eliminates the chance of riders on gates 1 & 4 moving slightly with the riders on 2 & 3 going & getting penalized

Edited by IronScorpion
  • Like 1

Why not convert starting tapes to the system used in BMX cycling, Metal grid, which drops on button, riders have to have wheel touching, grid drops no false starts, no tapes exclusion, no tapes replacement when broken. Finishing line 2 meters behind grid, can be used as zone to keep riders from turning back towards pits or having further delaying tactics.

Why not convert starting tapes to the system used in BMX cycling, Metal grid, which drops on button, riders have to have wheel touching, grid drops no false starts, no tapes exclusion, no tapes replacement when broken. Finishing line 2 meters behind grid, can be used as zone to keep riders from turning back towards pits or having further delaying tactics.

Yeah that'll be great when it's all bent and distorted after track preparation equipment and stockcars have been over it......

Yeah that'll be great when it's all bent and distorted after track preparation equipment and stockcars have been over it......

Of course track grading would have to be adjusted to not damage the system, and don't stock cars run on air filled tyres, so any problems can be overcome if promoters want to try.

Of course track grading would have to be adjusted to not damage the system, and don't stock cars run on air filled tyres, so any problems can be overcome if promoters want to try.

You ever seen a stock car meeting? Plenty of cars finish with punctures. Why try and fix a problem that is only a problem to vociferous minority?

• Like 1

If you want to reduce the need to garden or even ban it, then replace it with an effective alternative. a. have guys with a novel tool which consists of a long pole with a sort of blade on the end. When I was a lad we called them rakes. b. gather some simple race statistics indicating which are the best gates. Get the guys with the "rakes" to spend a bit more time on the bad gates.

The best ideas are simple!.

Edited by False dawn

2 minute timer on before every race. This is the allowed time for riders to get to the tapes, do any gardening and get still before tapes up. Once the 2 mins is up its green light on and let the tapes fly. Any rider who isn't revved up will get left on the line, might not be popular to start with but it would only be the riders who are to blame and im certain they won't get caught out more than once.

2 minute timer on before every race. This is the allowed time for riders to get to the tapes, do any gardening and get still before tapes up. Once the 2 mins is up its green light on and let the tapes fly. Any rider who isn't revved up will get left on the line, might not be popular to start with but it would only be the riders who are to blame and im certain they won't get caught out more than once.

Works well in Sweden.

• Like 1

This is my very first comment on this forum.

In response to starting procedures, I too get fed up with restarts & remember only too well all the 'Mauger' rolling starts, however after watching some old footage showing movement at the tapes I really enjoyed the tactics.

It appears that nowadays all riders MUST leave the gate at the same time & a rider , even though he does not move when the tapes go up is penalized, surely if you are clever enough to anticipate the tape release you should be allowed to continue !

I think that if there was another chalked line behind the start line, ie. a bike length, once in, riders should not be allowed to leave their gate position, this would obviate the 'gardening' & providing they do not touch the tapes, they can move back & forth a little as much as they dare.

Sparky

• Like 1

They ( the powers that be ) brought in the "no gardening" rule and " not getting off the bike " but either the referees were told of it or refused to consistently apply it that within a couple of months it was forgotten. There are many laws that apply in daily life but if they are not enforced they have no value. It seems that speedway officials, collectively, are disinterested introducing wasted time and making meetings run crisply. Far too much of all aspects of how a meeting is run is accepted under the " that is how we have always done it, so it must be the best way to do ". "It was alright like that when 12,000 came every week, so why change it now when we still get 1,200" . Speedway, same old same old attitudes.

It makes you wonder why some people bother to go Speedway at all!! If every race was 60 seconds, no shenanigans at the tapes, no exclusions, no interval, no Sun break, no tactical changes, every race was a 3-3 then you could get there for 7.30 on the dot, not miss a race, and be out the place by 8.15!!! That would be a 60 second race, 60 seconds for a race victory lap, and 60 seconds for the next race riders to get to tapes!!! Even add another 15 minutes and you're in and out in an hour!!!!!

Do we really want a meeting to be this sterile??? I don't!!!!

Guest GiveusaB

This is my very first comment on this forum.

In response to starting procedures, I too get fed up with restarts & remember only too well all the 'Mauger' rolling starts, however after watching some old footage showing movement at the tapes I really enjoyed the tactics.

It appears that nowadays all riders MUST leave the gate at the same time & a rider , even though he does not move when the tapes go up is penalized, surely if you are clever enough to anticipate the tape release you should be allowed to continue !

I think that if there was another chalked line behind the start line, ie. a bike length, once in, riders should not be allowed to leave their gate position, this would obviate the 'gardening' & providing they do not touch the tapes, they can move back & forth a little as much as they dare.

Sparky

Couldnt agree more pal !!!