British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Somerset V Scunthorpe (play-off Final, 1st Leg), Friday October 26th (7.30pm)

Great result for Scunny tonight, which puts them firmly in the driving seat for their home leg. 'Mon the Scorpions. :P

• Like 1

Scunny rode well tonight and now look clear favourites. However at least the Rebels have a lead to defend and if they remember to take their gating boots with them on Sunday and use the tacticals effectively (if needed) then this tie is still in the balance.

Just about the right result i think tonight but Scunny did have a few engine issues that cost them valuable points. The track seemed to catch the home boys out early on more than the visitors. Obviously the double points from Auty (about all he did all night) probably made up for the EF's as without them they wouldn't have been using the 'magic hat'. Mellgren's EF in ht5 impeded Jesper big time and potentially stopped a possible 5-1 for us so about honours even. Kerr tried hard but couldn't get out of the gate whilst Cookie rode through illness to do a good job.

Heat 14 was crucial as i felt that was a potential 5-1 for Somerset which would have given them a 13pt lead with one to go but as it was that score was reversed and the lead squashed.

Scunny are favourites now but suppose they were anyway as they finished above us in the League!

Whatever happens thank you to the Somerset management and riders for a great season of speedway in 2012.

• Like 1

Well done Somerset on the win, big well done to Scunny for keeping scores close. Still all to play for though...roll on sunday, can see this going to the very last heat.

Not over by a long way.... but well done to the Scorpions for keeping it to 5 points, despite all sorts of chain breaks.

All the best

Rob

Will 5 points be enough to carry Somerset through? Im not so sure. They need to go to Scunny on sunday and chuck the kitchen sink at them. Go with the intention of winning the meeting.They are perfectly capable of it. Full credit to Scunny for keeping it tight, they are not a bad side as they showed earlier in the season.

A bumper crowd who made a lot of noise and even had air horns, all of which made for a good atmosphere, a shame it can't be like that every week. Spoke to Wolves and Sheffield fans who had travelled down. There were four things I did not understand about tonights match. Number 1 - Scunthorpe were without David Howe or Thomas Jorgensen, their guest Mellgren only scored 5 points they were operating R/R and only got 4 points from that, Mellgren shed a chain in heat 8 and Palm Toft did the same thing in heats 6 and 12 losing the Scorpions valuable points, one 5-1 turning into a 3-3, and yet despite all of this they only lost by 5, unbelievable! Number 2 - Steve Bishop when interviewed said "the track was hard and had caught them out." How can a track not be prepared for the home team and how can they not be aware it was different from normal? In fact it was a gaters track and Rebels couldn't gate. Number 3 - When it was obvious to everyone that Scunthorpe would use the tactical in heat 11, why did they put in Lewis Kerr in place of Newman's programmed ride. Kerr had to take two more rides but he was in heat 12 and could have replaced Newman in heat 14 for his third ride. I would have thought you would want your strongest pairing possible to block a tactical, and even if Vissing had won the heat, we were looking at 4 points from the Scunny tactical and a 3-5 result. Number 4- Why was Craig Cook not in heat 15? I thought you could put your number one in even if he wasn't in the top scorers and Monburg apparently wasn't feeling well. Monberg was rider of the night and also recieved a cheque from SREF. Good to see Wrighty scoring well after a blank at Ipswich.

Rebels have a mountain to climb on Sunday but stranger things have happened.

There is speedway at The Oak Tree on Friday 28th December The Somerset Christmas Cracker Meeting, 16 riders, 20 heats.

Edited by oldtimer

Well done Somerset on the win, big well done to Scunny for keeping scores close. Still all to play for though...roll on sunday, can see this going to the very last heat.

I'd prefer if it didn't. :wink:

All the best

Rob

I think the management messed up by not getting Lewis' rides out the way. Wrighty started good but looked slow later on! He needs to score and score big if we are to win the title on Sunday. I don't think we should have let them get the tatical anyway role on Sunday!

Going to be a tough ask now but it's definatly not over! Kerr again was on the pace just couldn't make that gate but I'm sure it will come. Dont think it helped the lad going 9 heats without a ride. Sure he will be a good reserve for next year. Cookie done ok but I'm sure he will score bigger on Sunday. Newman done his job and wrighty started well. Positives to take into Sunday! Come in the rebels!!!!

Great effort by the boys last night. As already mentioned EF's cost us dear, but hopefully tomorrow the luck will be on our side. Also, thanks Rob, Richard and the lads for coming over to the 3rd bend at the end to thank us all for coming.

Advantage Scunny but still all to play for on Sunday. Some bad luck for the Scorpions mechanically, but without that they wouldn't have been in the position to use the TR in ht11, so not as unlucky as first appears.

Rebels management probably wishing they'd accepted the 'no tacticals' offer from the Scorpions now.

A great result last night that does give us a chance & we should be favourites but Somerset are more than capable of also keeping it close. The chainn breaks cost us but by my working out we got 7 points but could have got 11. The downside to that was we would not have used a t/r making the score possibly 45-45. The weather played its part as not many riders would have a set up to ride at a temperature of about 4 degrees C, god it was cold.

Could not see across to the back straight as they have awesome lighting to the track but sod all for the fans(filling in the programme was a mare. The scorpion fans were, also, about making a noise on the home straight, before & after the start line.

Well done to the Scorpions for another great night night leading to a better afternoon on sunday. Hope the weather changes to make another decent, raceable meeting.

• Like 1

Don't think I'l get my wish after all :blink:;) ,5 points to take to Scunthorpe I feel is not enough at all