British Speedway Forum
challenger

Berwick Survival.

Glasgow population-about a million + surrounding area

Edinburgh-half a million +

Newcastle-about the same

Sheffield-about the same

Berwick-about fifteen thousand plus-in one of the lowest wage areas in the country,

on a percentage basis of crowd to population we're not doing badly.problem is where are the extra people to come from?If you think of it in this way I think present and past promoters have done amazingly well to keep it going for as long as they have

• Like 3

Newcastle-about the same

Sheffield-about the same

Berwick-about fifteen thousand plus-in one of the lowest wage areas in the country,

on a percentage basis of crowd to population we're not doing badly.problem is where are the extra people to come from?If you think of it in this way I think present and past promoters have done amazingly well to keep it going for as long as they have

But on the upside Berwick have very little competition in sports teams. Whereas Sheffield have 2 well supported football teams, a successful hockey side and other teams in basketball. It must be very difficult to convince fans to pay £16 a week for speedway when there's the Owls within walking distance of the track!

Edited by skj

Newcastle-about the same

Sheffield-about the same

so how and why were we informed Berwick had one of the biggest budgets in the league??.... Now we are talking on a thread about survival??

Newcastle-about the same

Sheffield-about the same

Newcastle-about the same

Sheffield-about the same

I think Berwick are suffering from the same problem as Edinburgh (bearing in mind that Armadale is 20miles from Edinburgh)in that alot of the support is not local but in the Borders and surrounding area and with the recession and high fuel prices might be having a knock on effect regarding the lower attendances in recent years.It would be an interesting survey to find out where the support is based IMO Edited by Fromafar

But on the upside Berwick have very little competition in sports teams. Whereas Sheffield have 2 well supported football teams, a successful hockey side and other teams in basketball. It must be very difficult to convince fans to pay £16 a week for speedway when there's the Owls within walking distance of the track!

The hockey should read ice hockey,

But also add to that you have

1 Rugby League Team

2 Rugby Union teams.

Please read my post again, I'm sure your an intelligent bloke

Have our crowds been that bad, Peter Waite didn't have as expensive riders as Complin, Alden and Ashworth.

So how much were they on then you obiously know as you state peter waite had cheaper riders........

Iwould put my neck on the line and say that Lee Seb and Ricy would cost more than Adrian, Michal and tero Berwick's highest averages for the tart of the 08 season.

I could well be wrong if so I apolagise deeply to you Mr F

Have our crowds been that bad, Peter Waite didn't have as expensive riders as Complin, Alden and Ashworth.

So how much were they on then you obiously know as you state peter waite had cheaper riders........

Whatever way you want to look at it It has been stated that the club is not sustainable on present crowd levels .Only the Promotion knows where the money is being lost.The crowds had dwindle by the time Peter finished ,they were up again when the present promotion took charge but seem to be dropping off again.

...The crowds had dwindled by the time Peter finished, they were up again when the present promotion took charge, but seem to be dropping off again.

If true, then that statement is quite revealing as to where to problem is.

Another interesting point, going back to Peter's era, is the 2005 season where we finished 2nd in the league, the crowds plummeted.

That was not my observation, but Peter's own words to me.

Edited by bigeddiechek

Another interesting point, going back to Peter's era, is the 2005 season where we finished 2nd in the league, the crowds plummeted.

That was only my observation and it might well be wrong,but given the fact that at most clubs the "behind the scenes" work if most done by volunteers I would think that most expense is down to Stadium Rental and Rider costs( wages and travel) ,but there again I might be wrong on that account too.Like I say it is only my opinion.

Big home wins that season too

Big home wins that season too

Lots, and some mental racing particularly by Wilko, Schrammy, Scud, and Makovsky.

The track was like a ploughed field too (I've got the GRT season highlights DVD).

So, it kind of goes against us seasoned supporters' calls for high league position and home wins.

Peter actually said to me that people didn't want to come along to watch us hammer the visitors week after week.

Whether that is actually the case or not is open for debate.

Just putting another point of view into the debate.

There has been a lot of good suggestions on here, and I'm certain that they will be listened to by those in charge. The Berwick management are refreshingly good at that.

I would be that they have a few ideas that none of us have thought of too.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to run a speedway team, far too difficult and stressful for me.

Mind, the worry might help me shed a few stone...

Lots, and some mental racing particularly by Wilko, Schrammy, Scud, and Makovsky.

The track was like a ploughed field too (I've got the GRT season highlights DVD).

So, it kind of goes against us seasoned supporters' calls for high league position and home wins.

Peter actually said to me that people didn't want to come along to watch us hammer the visitors week after week.

There has been a lot of good suggestions on here, and I'm certain that they will be listened to by those in charge. The Berwick management are refreshingly good at that.

One thing is for sure, I wouldn't want to run a speedway team, far too difficult and stressful for me.

The same could be said for the 2008 season, admittedly with a lesser well rounded 7, that said we had Adrian averaging not far off 10

I think all clubs are struggling, the Sport in the UK is dying a slow death. It's the best Sport in the world (in my opinion) on its day, it sad to see things the way they are

Edited by RobinH88
  • Like 1

Happiness is 46-44 :drink: and a Pie.

The current centre green presenter adds to the evenings entertainment what a rancid, festering latrine brings to a Sunday lunch. In my opinion.

Hmmm, not a fan, then?