British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

Can i just say.... I'm sick to the b****cks of ball sports (most esp Football) on Sky. Come on Sky give the less supported sports a break and continue coverage. Its not like we're asking for more, just to remain at what always existed. I'm going to "try" and remain positive until theres an announcement.

Would be a pity to lose Gp coverage though just when a few 'legends' have left the sport/gps and the 'young guns' are entering :sad:

• Like 1

I personally would be gutted if the Speedway GP's are not televised live this (or in future) years. My father and I have fab GP Saturday nights together...few beers, snacks etc. whilst watching the most exciting motor sport in the world. Come on Sky (or anyone other broadcaster), sort this out NOW!!!

At present there is a transition in riders, the older guys retiring with fantastically exciting younger riders moving up and this is going to continue during the next few years. Why would Sky want to drop the GP'S when the likes of Holder, Ward and Emil have now broken through. These guys racing with Nasty Nikki, Gollob and the ever youthful Hancock etc. etc. will be fantastic racing.

So once again I say, COME ON SKY, WE WANT THE GP COVERAGE TO CONTINUE THIS YEAR AND FOR MANY YEARS. You know it makes sense :t:

• Like 2

I personally would be gutted if the Speedway GP's are not televised live this (or in future) years. My father and I have fab GP Saturday nights together...few beers, snacks etc. whilst watching the most exciting motor sport in the world. Come on Sky (or anyone other broadcaster), sort this out NOW!!!

At present there is a transition in riders, the older guys retiring with fantastically exciting younger riders moving up and this is going to continue during the next few years. Why would Sky want to drop the GP'S when the likes of Holder, Ward and Emil have now broken through. These guys racing with Nasty Nikki, Gollob and the ever youthful Hancock etc. etc. will be fantastic racing.

So once again I say, COME ON SKY, WE WANT THE GP COVERAGE TO CONTINUE THIS YEAR AND FOR MANY YEARS. You know it makes sense :t:

Because they havent got a pot to p*ss in after BT Vision bid for some football. God forbid that Sky have a competitor, so they overspent ridiculously buying all the football they could, even by sticking another couple of quid a month onto subscriptions.

The football is also for Fox in the US (which is why most of the 3pm kick offs can be found on online streams - so Redneck Bill who's just found can see where the next overpaid retiree is coming from to replace David PoshSpice. Early morning fodder, so they can watch Chelsea Cherokees take on Tottenham TYphoons or whatever.

Noticed that there's a LOT more cricket on this winter - even more than the ridiculous amount last year? Because Murdoch wants it for Fox in Australia. It's cheap to Sky to put on endless hours of South Africa v Sri Lanka or whatever cobblers is supposed to be "of interest". Just like the Champions League football - who the hell watch Braga v Cluj while Man United played the other team in their group?

At least it was amusing to watch all the praise being heaped on Sky for bring us the NZ GP LIVE!!!!!! OMG!!!! THEYRE SOO GOOD TO US!!!! Why? Because they'd booked Hours & hours of cheap satellite time for NZ v Zimbabwe?

Rugby League gets @ £90m in a 4 - 5 year contract. Why? Because Murdoch wants it for Australia - that's why it's a summer sport now.

So, it's not as if the money that is being spent is being spent on UK viewers - they're a lucrative sideline.

• Like 1

FOX have actually lost the rights to show Premier League soccer in the USA from next season. I am in the US at present and can see more PL matches here than at home, including one of the 3pm Saturday kick-offs. Think NBC have nicked it for 2013-14

FOX have actually lost the rights to show Premier League soccer in the USA from next season. I am in the US at present and can see more PL matches here than at home, including one of the 3pm Saturday kick-offs. Think NBC have nicked it for 2013-14

Every PL match is available by stream in the UK as are most Championship ones too.

As others have said theres no definite decision been made yet so lets hope Sky decide to show the GPs in 2013,must admit though if Sky were going to televise the GPs you`d think they would have announced it by now.

Every PL match is available by stream in the UK as are most Championship ones too.

You are wrong about the championship -normally one only live match shown to a world wide audience

So Murdoch then flogs it to NBC and trousers the cash - the thing that Sky in the UK have overspent massively and THAT is why speedway amongst other (much more well funded) sports are shafted still holds true.

As others have said theres no definite decision been made yet so lets hope Sky decide to show the GPs in 2013,must admit though if Sky were going to televise the GPs you`d think they would have announced it by now.

And if they did, I guess there'll be pages aplenty on here with sheep THANKING them.

If they did pick it up at the last minute, it would be because they'd succeeded in screwing BSI / IMG (actually not a bad thing, in itself).

Fast forward 12 months, Sky say to the EL that having paid (say) 40% less for the GPs, take a pittance or leave it. The fat orange cockney will have to settle for a Lexus and the EL will be potless. Yay.

the thing that Sky in the UK have overspent massively and THAT is why speedway amongst other (much more well funded) sports are shafted still holds true.

I tend to think that is something of a smokescreen. Sky would not be ditching a profitable revenue stream no matter what the spend on football, in fact quite the opposite is true, they need more profitable live TV than ever before to pay for it.

Sky need viewers, and the right calibre of viewers, watching their broadcasts to give value to the ad breaks in between. The viewing figures for the SGP have fallen a lot the past few years which coupled with the demograph of those viewers makes it difficult to justify 3 hours of prime time Saturday TV.

SKY have admitted that ANY sport on Sky Sports 4 attracts less viewers than on 1 or 2 and that in fact speedway fared better than any other which in turn helped boost advertising revenue for that particular channel.

Make of that what you will...

SKY have admitted that ANY sport on Sky Sports 4 attracts less viewers than on 1 or 2 and that in fact speedway fared better than any other which in turn helped boost advertising revenue for that particular channel.

Maybe because you can get a deal to watch 1-2 on your laptop i believe. So the answer to that question is, put the GP's on one or two... Simples.

But the relegation to Sky Sports 4 is only a recent trend, why did they consign it there? It tends to suggest that the sport is not something advertisers are willing to pay top dollar for the privilege of its ad breaks.

As much as we all here on the forum love speedway, I suspect in the world of Sky decision makers the GP coverage is an insignificant side issue. We can hope for a positive outcome, but let's not fool ourselves into believing Sky care what we think. If they can see a financially viable package they'll air the GPs. If not, they won't be weeping over less speedway.

• Like 1

SKY say (privately) that they put the GPs on Sky Sports 4 because it secured a Saturday night audience big enough to attract advertisers who wouldn't otherwise have bothered. Their ad revenue on 1 or 2 was guaranteed whether they showed speedway or not but they needed something on 4 to boost the viewing figures and speedway fitted the bill.

There is no doubt that the viewing figures for the GPs suffered as a result but Sky obviously believed they got better value for their money by shoving it on 4.

The British GP audience also dipped when the starting time was brought forward to first 5pm and then 6pm. Dedicated speedway fans might tune in at that time on a summer's evening but it was deemed too early for the casual viewers.

As much as we all here on the forum love speedway, I suspect in the world of Sky decision makers the GP coverage is an insignificant side issue. We can hope for a positive outcome, but let's not fool ourselves into believing Sky care what we think. If they can see a financially viable package they'll air the GPs. If not, they won't be weeping over less speedway.

THERE are plenty of people at Sky who want their speedway coverage to continue but, as has been stated previously, it is just unfortunate that the GP contract came up for renewal at a time when the been counters in Isleworth were holding sway.

SKY say (privately) that they put the GPs on Sky Sports 4 because it secured a Saturday night audience big enough to attract advertisers who wouldn't otherwise have bothered. Their ad revenue on 1 or 2 was guaranteed whether they showed speedway or not but they needed something on 4 to boost the viewing figures and speedway fitted the bill.

There is no doubt that the viewing figures for the GPs suffered as a result but Sky obviously believed they got better value for their money by shoving it on 4.

The British GP audience also dipped when the starting time was brought forward to first 5pm and then 6pm. Dedicated speedway fans might tune in at that time on a summer's evening but it was deemed too early for the casual viewers.

THERE are plenty of people at Sky who want their speedway coverage to continue but, as has been stated previously, it is just unfortunate that the GP contract came up for renewal at a time when the been counters in Isleworth were holding sway.

However it is dressed up Phil Sky are in business to make a profit. If the revenue from speedway justified it it would be on irrespective of the spend on football. Sky clearly believe that those three hours on a Saturday night can generate more revenue showing sports other than speedway

• Like 1