British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WembleyLion

Ben Fund Meeting - Berwick - Saturday 9 March 2013 6.30pm

Probably not. The Danish national team have hired King's Lynn for a work-out that weekend as well, so he'll be there, he'll do Topinka's meeting and Freddie Lindgren's on the Sunday. No way will he find time to haul himself 300 miles north to Berwick and then another 250-odd miles back down to Wolves.

You probably right. Must say am surprised at Tom Topinka Meeting being on before Ben one. Thought it might be following Friday?

You probably right. Must say am surprised at Tom Topinka Meeting being on before Ben one. Thought it might be following Friday?

I think it is somewhat disappointing that Tomas Topinka's meeting is allowed to take place before the Ben Fund meeting, the traditional season opener.

I wish Tomas all the best with his meeting, but it doesn't seem quite right that it is somewhat stealing the thunder of the Ben Fund meeting.

Looking forward to the Ben Fund meeting - less than two months to go :approve:

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 2

I'm not convinced that an event which has been held three times can be described as 'traditional'.

Nevertheless I hope and expect there to be a huge crowd at Berwick for this great cause despite a meeting taking place the night before 275 miles away. I certainly don't see any thunder being stolen, or it a competition to stage the first meeting of the season. If it is then Somerset will win :D

Edited by Bagpuss

I'm not convinced that an event which has been held three times can be described as 'traditional'.

Nevertheless I hope and expect there to be a huge crowd at Berwick for this great cause despite a meeting taking place the night before 275 miles away. I certainly don't see any thunder being stolen, or it a competition to stage the first meeting of the season. If it is then Somerset will win :D

Looking at this I think riders riding in Topinka meeting and then Lindgren meeting will not travel to Berwick in between. That could mean several top boys opting out of Ben Meeting.
  • Like 1

On the other hand some will ride Fri & Sat or Sat & Sun, or just Saturday. I can't imagine the whole of Tomas' line up will be top, top riders as I expect most of the Stars to get a run out plus some riders Tomas rode with in his career (eg he was very close to Stuart Robson from their days riding together at Coventry).

The Ben Fund Bonanza has been staged four times (Sheffield, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Birmingham). The other two meetings that weekend are more in competition for riders than crowd.

My apologies, forgot about the first staging at Sheffield.

We'll have to wait and see of course but I'm pretty sure all three meetings will have decent line ups.

Edited by Bagpuss

http://www.berwickba...php/latest-news

Excellent additions, Hall is just superb to watch, most entertaining rider on show at the PLRC.

Open meetings always need riders that are a bit daft/entertain. Barker, Harris, Hall and Ashworth fit that.

Edited by wjm

My friend in Denmark has told me that Mads Korneliuson will be at the Bonanza.

Your friend in Denmark is correct.

Just wondering about the economics of the cost of the full page ad on the back of the star every week against the number of additional people the ad attracts seeing as one of the main ideas of the meeting is to raise funds - I'd have thought the readership of the star is fairly constant in the winter with shop saves and subscribers and there'd be very few people seeing the ad for the first time each time and even less of those would be keen enough to go to the meeting

Wow! You think it's being paid for?

I'm surprised that it hasn't adopted its usual Advent Calendar appearance, but not that it's there.

Over the winter it fills 15-20 pages that otherwise would have photos that the Star would need to pay for.

Just wondering about the economics of the cost of the full page ad on the back of the star every week against the number of additional people the ad attracts seeing as one of the main ideas of the meeting is to raise funds - I'd have thought the readership of the star is fairly constant in the winter with shop saves and subscribers and there'd be very few people seeing the ad for the first time each time and even less of those would be keen enough to go to the meeting

I would imagine given the type of meeting this is there would be no charge?

The Oxford SOS are sponsoring a race at the Ben Fund Bonanza and with it being so far away will not be using the 2 VIP tickets for this meeting

Therefore as we have in the past, the first person to offer the face value of the tickets with the money donated to the Ben Fund can benefit from the tickets

The VIP package contains 2 ickets for the meeting as well as a buffet in the VIP area. The cost of normal admission is £16 so for £32 these tickets can be yours and you benefit from a buffet and seats in the VIP area

PM me if you are interested

I was reliably informed that the Speedway Star do the Ben Fund Adverts free of charge