British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Tomas Topinka Farewell, Norfolk Arena, March 8th

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine we could start the season in such terrific fashion. It’s been along time since I’ve seen so many people going to watch speedway at the Norfolk Arena, takes me back to the Saddlebow Road days, and this was a testimonial at that. Usually these are low-key affairs with the riders going through the motions but not much else. Last night’s meeting was different. The riders wanted to put on a show and some of the races were epic. None more so then Mads trying to put one over Nicki, each trying their hardest to win and giving just enough respect to the other. Brilliant.!!! Most of the races were like that and it made it a memorable night. Because of the expected rain, the track was slick, but it didn’t distract from the enjoyment.

Going back to the old style13 heat formula was another big plus. With interval attractions and a second half ‘Rider of the night’ also added to the occasion. It reminded us oldens, of the way it use to be and in my opinion far better then present day promotion. You feel at the end of the night you were entertained for the night and not just for a quick 15 races then home…. The night was concluded with an auction of memorabilia, Race jackets, Helmets, Bikes, etc. Loads of people saying farewell to a legend by buying the goodies...

On the home front, I was impressed with the effort of all our riders, and feel quietly confident we’ll do well in the league. Not just qualifying for the play-offs, but a team, that the likes of Poole and Swindon wont relish the prospects.

Roll-on Good Friday……. :lol:

Edited by GRW123

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine we could start the season in such terrific fashion. It’s been along time since I’ve seen so many people going to watch speedway at the Norfolk Arena, takes me back to the Saddlebow Road days, and this was a testimonial at that. Usually these are low-key affairs with the riders going through the motions but not much else. Last night’s meeting was different. The riders wanted to put on a show and some of the races were epic. None more so then Mads trying to put one over Nicki, each trying their hardest to win and giving just enough respect to the other. Brilliant.!!! Most of the races were like that and it made it a memorable night. Because of the expected rain, the track was slick, but it didn’t distract from the enjoyment.

Going back to the old style13 heat formula was another big plus. With interval attractions and a second half ‘Rider of the night’ also added to the occasion. It reminded us oldens, of the way it use to be and in my opinion far better then present day promotion. You feel at the end of the night you were entertained for the night and not just for a quick 15 races then home…. The night was concluded with an auction of memorabilia, Race jackets, Helmets, Bikes, etc. Loads of people saying farewell to a legend by buying the goodies...

On the home front, I was impressed with the effort of all our riders, and feel quietly confident we’ll do well in the league. Not just qualifying for the play-offs, but a team, that the likes of Poole and Swindon wont relish the prospects.

Roll-on Good Friday……. :lol:

There's another meeting for us all to enjoy before Good Friday GRW123, as the Ashley Jones Memorial takes place on the 22nd March.

Indeed there is, I'm hoping with it being an early season meeting we may see a stronger field than the line up for the rained off staging at the end of 2012. Would like to see all of our boys minus the NZ bound Puk get another run out before the serious stuff starts.

I would also like to add to comments on here that last nights meeting was absolutely superb. The folk turned out for Tom, the rain stayed away and it was just a brilliant evenings entertainment.

All the programmed riders turned up so no scribbling on the programme. The organisation of the meeting was excellent and there was something for everyone young and old. It was good to see Terry Betts back on a bike again.

I liked the special touch for the young ones too. Having a young mascot/s walk out with each rider onto the track for the parade. Nice touch and something the kids will always remember! Thanks very much to Tom for his years of

entertainment - the crowd and Kings Lynn speedway did you proud last night. All the best to you and Romana in the future.

• Like 2

There's another meeting for us all to enjoy before Good Friday GRW123, as the Ashley Jones Memorial takes place on the 22nd March.

Weather permitting I will be going to Wolves tomorrow for the Freddie testimonial, and probably go to Brandonapolis next week also. The Ashley Jones Memorial is not until the following week. When I referred to the Good Friday clash, it wasn't relating to my next meeting I'd be going to, merely looking forward to the next Stars match... OK

Edited by GRW123

Here's a few links to various bits of media relating to the very successful Tomas Topinka Farewell meeting:

http://www.itv.com/n...-tomas-topinka/

http://www.bbc.co.uk...eedway/21698256

http://www.edp24.co....2028.1362819618

http://www.edp24.co....d_off_1_1972028

And in case you can't see the Anglia TV link, here it is on YouTube

Edited by rusky

Tomas must have bathed in Cliff Richards pool of eternal youth,he only looks a couple of years older than when he first rode over here.

• Like 1

Tomas must have bathed in Cliff Richards pool of eternal youth,he only looks a couple of years older than when he first rode over here.

That'll be the same one as Terry Betts, if you look at the pictures. Terry will be 70 years old in September, but looks at least 20 years younger than that......

heard tonight that Mads got a grand total of £15 for competing in the TT farewell meeting... :blink:

Shirley that can't be right can it....

heard tonight that Mads got a grand total of £15 for competing in the TT farewell meeting... :blink:

Why? It's a testimonial, I was under the impression that most rider rode for expenses or for nothing. The odd rider will be paid for to draw in a crowd though.

Is that his missus Dumpers?

Has anyone got any pics from Tom Topinkas Farewell meeting please?