British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Greyhound Tracks

This can't be true ...Racers and Royals told me that there were more tracks opening than closeing and the sport was booming .

Edited by orion

He must have read that on Sportowefakty lol

This can't be true ...Racers and Royals told me that there were more tracks opening than closeing and the sport was booming .

Towcester racecourse opening this year-Coventry re-opened under Harry Findlay.Haven`t seen any Bookmaker owned tracks closing recently.It`s just the cowboy operators GRA and Stadia uk closing tracks.Yes the sport is facing difficult times but the independant owned tracks such as Yarmouth,Nottingham,Doncaster,Kinsley,Peterborough know how to promote the business and are doing ok-await your response.

Edited by racers and royals

Towcester racecourse opening this year-Coventry re-opened under Harry Findlay.Haven`t seen any Bookmaker owned tracks closing recently.It`s just the cowboy operators GRA and Stadia uk closing tracks.Await your response.

Who cares who's opening and shuting the tracks ..the bottom line unlike you said more tracks are closeing than they are opening read the figures .

I tend to agree with Racers and Royals. Stats about closures/openings are skewed by which time scale you take. Afaik last year Oxford closed and Coventry opened.

Oxford was deliberately run down by GRA and if promoted properly would prove a profitable exercise.

Greyhounds are not without their problems and the loss of Sky coverage is a rather large cloud on the horizon. The Blue Riband event of the Derby is held at another GRA track which is being run down with a view to cashing in on development and it looks the battle

for the 'Stow is now lost. But tracks like Yarmouth, Romford, Sittingbourne continue to thrive.

Edited by salty

Towcester racecourse opening this year-

Towcester Opening a Track. Jeez that will be a stiff old track. Hope the Dogs can stay well!!! At least they won't have Jockeys up to Wrestle them to the floor. :rofl:

Edited by Starman2006

INTERESTING article on the future of greyhound tracks - many of which are or were associated with speedway, here ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-20968535

Rather a poor story put out by the BBC

It says,I quote : With the closure of Milton Keynes,Portsmouth,Oxford there are no greyhound tracks left in Central Southern England. What about Harlow,Romford,Sittingbourne,Swindon,Peterborough,Mildenhall,Crayford. and Brighton. There might even be more.

The trouble with greyhound racing is now you can only treat it as a fun night out. When greyhound racing (like Speedway) was at the height of it's popularity after WW2 the Tote on tracks only took out 4% commission. Now it is around 30%. The bookmakers work on far higher percentage profits at greyhound meeting than they do at horse racetracks

It says,I quote : With the closure of Milton Keynes,Portsmouth,Oxford there are no greyhound tracks left in Central Southern England. What about Harlow,Romford,Sittingbourne,Swindon,Peterborough,Mildenhall,Crayford. and Brighton. There might even be more.

The trouble with greyhound racing is now you can only treat it as a fun night out. When greyhound racing (like Speedway) was at the height of it's popularity after WW2 the Tote on tracks only took out 4% commission. Now it is around 30%. The bookmakers work on far higher percentage profits at greyhound meeting than they do at horse racetracks

Well, does seem a bit contrived to come up with a region never before described called 'Central Southern England'...!!! Guess they're referring to the loss of Reading and now Oxford. Places like Sittingbourne, Harlow, Crayford, Romford, Peterborough are too far east to be called 'central' but certainly Swindon would HAVE to be included in such a mythical 'region'..!

Romford is indeed thriving : really big crowds on Fridays and Saturdays since the demise of the 'Stow.

Amazing really that a track can run on those two successive nights and get big crowds on both. And it ALSO stages meetings on Mondays and Wednesdays too!

Hardly a sport on its uppers!

And I know what you mean when you say "the trouble with greyhound racing is now you can only treat it as a fun night out" but wouldn't it be great if more people regarded Speedway in the same way..: as a FUN, entertaining night out...?

• Like 1

You forgot Poole..

Well, does seem a bit contrived to come up with a region never before described called 'Central Southern England'...!!! Guess they're referring to the loss of Reading and now Oxford. Places like Sittingbourne, Harlow, Crayford, Romford, Peterborough are too far east to be called 'central' but certainly Swindon would HAVE to be included in such a mythical 'region'..!

Romford is indeed thriving : really big crowds on Fridays and Saturdays since the demise of the 'Stow.

Amazing really that a track can run on those two successive nights and get big crowds on both. And it ALSO stages meetings on Mondays and Wednesdays too!

Hardly a sport on its uppers!

And I know what you mean when you say "the trouble with greyhound racing is now you can only treat it as a fun night out" but wouldn't it be great if more people regarded Speedway in the same way..: as a FUN, entertaining night out...?

Isn`t it strange that yourself and others are saying the same thing yet we must be all idiots because Orion is never wrong-When he last broached the subject i asked him to name any tracks that were closing apart from the ones owned by the cowboys the GRA and Stadia UK which he never did-i wonder why ?

• Like 1

Isn`t it strange that yourself and others are saying the same thing yet we must be all idiots because Orion is never wrong-When he last broached the subject i asked him to name any tracks that were closing apart from the ones owned by the cowboys the GRA and Stadia UK which he never did-i wonder why ?

As i said before what does it matter who closes the track ? i said that more tracks are closeing than opening and the sport was going downhill( and you told me i was wrong ) and this has been confirmed by this statement not that it needed it .

Little point in added a stat and asking a question that has no bearing on the point i made .You were wrong move on .

Edited by orion

I love it when Onion gets angry!! :rofl:

2013 - Towcester opening - as far as I'm aware no closures confirmed as yet. What do they say about statistics?

2013 - Towcester opening - as far as I'm aware no closures confirmed as yet. What do they say about statistics?

i guess that's why people take notice them over a long period rather than 11 days .