British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
seanmuffe

Aldermaston ?

FWIW I read it the other way round -- that the speedway would replace banger racing, running weekday evenings rather than Sunday, but to the current maximum of 14 fixtures. But clearly very early days in any event.

Thats how i read it as well.

Thats how i read it as well.

thats ok then - I must be not reading properly

I'm sure that someone from Birmingham could help any prospective promotion with noise readings/advice.

If they already have permission for Motor Sports why would they need to reapply? I'm sure when Wimbledon reopened they didn't need planning permission as they were already running stock cars there.

• Like 2

I wish they'd start putting speedway in desirable locations for those of us with some style and panache

The track is about a mile from where I work, 12 miles from Reading, 8 miles from Basingstoke.

It is on the main A340 opposite AWE Aldermaston, not near Greenham Common as some suggest. It is flanked by business units and a recycling centre. No housing in immediate vicinity, but, potential for localish residents to whinge I'm sure.

It's certainly got much of the infrastructure required, a concrete oval track, pits area, small terracing with few seats and plenty of parking.

I understand there is already planning permission for a dozen banger racing meetings and that the stadium owner has good relationship with local and parish councils.

I know of one well known speedway party that have already met with the owners.

My personal opinion is that the stadium would need to be upgraded as facilities very basic, but if someone is prepared to invest it could have good potential.

If they already have permission for Motor Sports why would they need to reapply? I'm sure when Wimbledon reopened they didn't need planning permission as they were already running stock cars there.

I understand that a certificate of lawful use would have to be applied for where the venue is already licenced for motor sport.

Edited by The H Man

You're dead right Mark - we didn't need PP, as the Stocks/Bangers had - of course - been running at Plough Lane throughout the period. I do though remember Ian mentioning that subsequently it was said maybe LB Merton might have not got this completely right...?

Regardless though, can't think PP or EHO objections would be any sort of problem bearing in mind the Bangers are there already.

This really sounds hopeful and is just excellent news.

The track is about a mile from where I work, 12 miles from Reading, 8 miles from Basingstoke.

Cheers for the details mate. Let's hope this one can get off the ground. Hope you'll be there as presenter as we need you back!!!

Take care, D.

• Like 1

This would be great for me, i could walk there! I do think though that the residents of Aldermaston village, which is about half a mile down the road would kick up. Some people will see a big difference between cars on a sunday and the evil of motorbikes running late into the evening (think someone said it would be weekdays). There is lots of housing half a mile in the other direction (where i live) and the sound can carry big time. Someone is bound to object aren't they? There's also a gypsy site next to the raceway for good measure... Having said all that, as a lifelong Reading fan who misses his speedway, and knowing one of the Roberts family, bloody good luck to them. Ibwould love to get involved

10 miles from Reading surely means Reading Racers makes sense. Nobody would know where Alermaston is so it needs to be Reading or Basingstoke and Reading has history. 10 miles is pretty clsoe int he scheme of things, probably as close as Eastbourne and Edinburgh are to the towns/cities they're named after! Even Coventry is not in Coventry.

10 miles from Reading surely means Reading Racers makes sense. Nobody would know where Alermaston is so it needs to be Reading or Basingstoke and Reading has history. 10 miles is pretty clsoe int he scheme of things, probably as close as Eastbourne and Edinburgh are to the towns/cities they're named after! Even Coventry is not in Coventry.

surely any potential investor would be looking to eventually step up into at least premier league , 14 meetings a year would prevent that . also weekday racing in the NL?? . it's much easier to build a NL team with weekend racing from a work point of view and I would think to most riders /mechanics preferable

Nice idea calling it Reading, but the track is actually closer to Basingstoke than Reading... And its right on the edge of Tadley. And its not like Aldermaston is right next to Reading, there's a town in between. I can tel you now, Eastbourne speedway is a lot closer yo Eastbourne than Paices Hill is to Reading. These things get political don't they?

surely any potential investor would be looking to eventually step up into at least premier league , 14 meetings a year would prevent that . also weekday racing in the NL?? . it's much easier to build a NL team with weekend racing from a work point of view and I would think to most riders /mechanics preferable

Weekday racing is fine in the NL! Five out of the eight clubs in the 2013 NL are weekday tracks!!

It is on the main A340 opposite AWE Aldermaston, not near Greenham Common as some suggest.

If you zoom the map out, you can see the runway at Greenham Common to the West. That is what Tsunami was referring to.

I worked at AWRE (as it was then called) for many years and live in Newbury, so know the area well. They used to have trials riding along there too.

With Greenham and AWE so close, perhaps we could see a return of "The Bombers"!! Would they dare?

Edited by Grachan

I can see objections coming in from the management at Slough.

• Like 1