British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Uk Speedway Series

You have sole rights to a sport in the UK What other sport does anybody have sole rights to, who were those rights bought from or were they just claimed as it seemed like a good idea?

Your members have spent tens of thousands building tracks, which cost thousands to maintain and pay rent and insurance. Your members pay riders every week during the season That's the self employed riders who can and do ride for various clubs throughout the season and get paid when they ride which is not necessarily every week and 'belong' to a club that doesn't pay them any sort of retainer.

Then Fred Blogs comes along, pays some of your riders to ride in an individual meeting, on your track, taking gate money away from you and meeting the agreed fee for the hire of said track leaving you without the uncertainty of whether the meeting will be sucessful financially.

No different from me going to Matt Ford. Asking to use Wimborne Road on a Monday. And asking the Poole team to ride for me against a world select.

What do you think Matt would tell me to do? I reckon a short pier would be in his reply. Astute business man that he is I would have thought he would look at it as a business venture and decide whether it was financially beneficial for him/ his club.

This bunch are basically trying to leech of the current setup. Why don't they go build their own stadium and run some of their own meetings (obviously without speedway bikes as that also wouldn't be allowed) and then there would be no problem. No more so than any club that pays rent on the facility that they use. Did Mr Ford really build Poole stadium and the track? As for the bikes they no more belong to the BSPA than the sport does, they are owned by the self employed riders..

Alternatively they could ask to join the bspa and bring their ideas to the table

As it stands now they are trying to act like parasites on our sport Unusually for parasites they are trying to put money into the sport by hiring tracks, as far as I am aware they aren't asking anybody for anything free.

• Like 1

What other sports have sole rights? Just about every pro sport in the UK. As Orion said the other day, see what would happen if you tried to hire Rooney, Bale, Gerrald etc and have a Team GB V Brazil at Reading. You wouldn't get very far. No different to what this bunch are attempting, and rightly knocked back.

What other sports have sole rights? Just about every pro sport in the UK. As Orion said the other day, see what would happen if you tried to hire Rooney, Bale, Gerrald etc and have a Team GB V Brazil at Reading. You wouldn't get very far. No different to what this bunch are attempting, and rightly knocked back.

Of course not, football is different, Rooney is employed by Manchester United, he gets a wage. Just like every other football player.

So how many speedway riders are employed and paid a weekly wage by a speedway club?

Do speedway clubs own the stadiums they race in? A few, but not many, most are leased.

It's very different.

• Like 1

as someone stated earlier when the MCF approached the mx clubs of which i was a part of as i was on a scottish mx club committee at the time they were told to pee off until the MCF laid it all out for clubs to see how they could make a little more money for each club as most were on there knees with all the monies they had to put out to the acu to run a club events of which they got back nothing in return !!! now 80 percent of mx clubs run with the MCF as they have a licence to run most events cant see them not trying to get into speedway maybe that's what speedway needs a shake up and brought into the 21 century

• Like 2

Of course not, football is different

No it isn't. It's exactly the same.

For SCB read F.A.

For BSPA read Premier League & Football League.

Try and set up and England v Brazil football match and see if the FA let you.

For SCB read F.A.

That won't happen,like I said. It is different.

I get the impression it will be illegal to try and stop riders from riding in an MCF event by banning them from riding for the SCB. Why have they made in roads in other sports?

That's the difference. Manchester United could tell Rooney quite legally, you work for us son, no one else.

At the end of the day it's the BSPA's loss.

Edited by Deano

That won't happen,like I said. It is different.

It's not different.

The SCB is EXACTLY the same as the F.A. (The sole National body responsible for administering the sport)

The BSPA is EXACTLY the same as the Premier League & the Football League. The only bodies licenced by the above to organise competition.

You can't run Speedway outside of the SCB just as you can't run football outside of the F.A., and you couldn't open a McDonalds franchise without buying one off McDonalds corporation.

Don't know why people can't grasp something so simple.

• Like 4

change a rule or two, and make a couple of changes to the bikes. It won't speedway

For SCB read Rugby for MCF read Rugby League

• Like 1

It's not different.

The SCB is EXACTLY the same as the F.A. (The sole National body responsible for administering the sport)

The BSPA is EXACTLY the same as the Premier League & the Football League. The only bodies licenced by the above to organise competition.

You can't run Speedway outside of the SCB just as you can't run football outside of the F.A., and you couldn't open a McDonalds franchise without buying one off McDonalds corporation.

Don't know why people can't grasp something so simple.

Surely it is just a matter of money?

If someone has enough money to buy Rooney and another 30 or so players from clubs and then buy or build a stadium he can get them to play matches and call it what he wants?Same as if someone wanted to set up another cricket competition or darts competition.As long as you employ the players.Speedway teams don't.But if say a speedway club wanted to run a benefit football match for a rider would they really have to get FA authority?Even if they played the game in a proper stadium?The thing with speedway is it seems to be held together not by rule of law,but the fact that everyone plays the game.If of course someone came along and decided not to play ball they shouldn't expect an easy ride,but is there at the end of the day anything to stop pirate tracks and or a pirate competition being set up?Like Deano,i don't quite see the speedway set up being exactly the same as football

For SCB read F.A.

It happened in cricket with Kerry Packer in the 70's when he set up the World Series,that shook the establishment but it also modernised a dying sport IMO.
  • Like 1

Surely it is just a matter of money?

Precisely. If the financial sum of the MCF is greater than the BSPA....

Exactly.Football is in pretty good shape and it would take some fantastic amount to set up a rival competition.And why would anyone when the competition is great anyway.But the same on all counts can't be said for speedway.

• Like 1

Having looked at the Arenacross videos and been to the Western beach race twice, these guys can run a very good meeting, the BSPA and the SCB could learn a lot from them.

Most Speedway tracks are rented from other parties GRA for example, including Poole. So if the organisers went to the GRA they could hire the Poole track, use their own kit to prepare it, can't be any worse that normal, and run the meeting. Just how many Speedway fans actually give a toss whether its a BSPA meeting?

There is no way that the SCB could stop an organised meeting with self employed riders taking place, footballers are not self employed before you compare them, on a track that is owned by non speedway owners.

Oxford would be a good place to hold one thats for sure.

All the SCB and amateur BSPA are looking at is their own self interest, not the interests of British Speedway.

Edited by PhilBrereton
  • Like 1

Having looked at the Arenacross videos and been to the Western beach race twice, these guys can run a very good meeting, the BSPA and the SCB could learn a lot from them.

Most Speedway tracks are rented from other parties GRA for example, including Poole. So if the organisers went to the GRA they could hire the Poole track, use their own kit to prepare it, can't be any worse that normal, and run the meeting. Just how many Speedway fans actually give a toss whether its a BSPA meeting?

There is no way that the SCB could stop an organised meeting with self employed riders taking place, footballers are not self employed before you compare them, on a track that is owned by non speedway owners.

Oxford would be a good place to hold one thats for sure.

All the SCB and amateur BSPA are looking at is their own self interest, not the interests of British Speedway.

To do that would be to play into the "parasite" shouters' hands (not that Ashworth, Tully, Doolan, Bunyan, Haines & Worrall would agree with that term).

Is it a coincidence (maybe, I don't know - nor do I know the other four tracks they were talking too) that in Leicester & Rye House at least, they wouldn't be renting from the GRA or anyone else. They'd be hiring the venue from the owner of Leicester & Rye House. That's not parasitically taking money out of speedway. It's putting money into the staging clubs & putting money into the riders for their benefit therefore indirectly the benefit of their clubs.

• Like 2

To do that would be to play into the "parasite" shouters' hands (not that Ashworth, Tully, Doolan, Bunyan, Haines & Worrall would agree with that term).

Is it a coincidence (maybe, I don't know - nor do I know the other four tracks they were talking too) that in Leicester & Rye House at least, they wouldn't be renting from the GRA or anyone else. They'd be hiring the venue from the owner of Leicester & Rye House. That's not parasitically taking money out of speedway. It's putting money into the staging clubs & putting money into the riders for their benefit therefore indirectly the benefit of their clubs.

It's beginning to sound like you have a vested interest not like you to be looking at the world with one eye.

• Like 1