British Speedway Forum
Hunty

Uk Speedway Series

As I see it, here's the For and Against of the proposed series;

FOR the UK Speedway Series……………

More opportunities for self-employed riders to get more race time and earn more money.

More experience for riders who do not compete in the GP's or leagues outside the UK.

A chance for track/stadium owners to rent out their facilities for additional income.

The possibility of new promotional ideas.

An opportunity to further spread the speedway message.

AGAINST the UK Speedway Series……………

Plus more meetings for actual fans to watch.

• Like 3

With the riders announced do people really think they'll pull punters through the gates to make this series work???

Indeed , for all the legal stuff who on earth would want to watch this series ? to me they are doing them a favour as this would lose a load of money .

As I see it, here's the For and Against of the proposed series;

FOR the UK Speedway Series……………

More opportunities for self-employed riders to get more race time and earn more money.

More experience for riders who do not compete in the GP's or leagues outside the UK.

A chance for track/stadium owners to rent out their facilities for additional income.

The possibility of new promotional ideas.

An opportunity to further spread the speedway message.

AGAINST the UK Speedway Series……………

good post 😃 Edited by Bigballs

Indeed , for all the legal stuff who on earth would want to watch this series ? to me they are doing them a favour as this would lose a load of money .

No different to the current speedway set up then? Except it took years for the BSPA to get the sport to the dizzy heights it is today.

• Like 1

Its a shame we haven't seen anything official, statement/update-wise from the Series Organisers?!

No matter what the rights and wrongs of what the speedwayseries people have tried to do, this whole episode has demonstrated that:

Not only is British speedway a BSPA/SCB closed shop - the same authorites also have closed minds.

Deplete the earnings of proper speedway promoters ...

< snip>

The same promoters who whinge about how much money they are losing every season?

... and wreck the league as we know it.

< snip>

The Elite League as we know it is already a wreck of a once great British League that dominated world speedway and offered riders a good living with a consistent, well populated and high quality fixture list.

Edited by Roger Jacobs

If the Fans show enough demand, and Riders say they want to ride in it....I cannot see a problem.

It is right that with spiralling costs, more fixtures are on offer. I am perplexed by the need to compare it to the English FA. If I set up a game at the local park, create a couple of select sides and charge for entry....I am under no obligation to have the match sanctioned by the FA. I am well aware of this being done in Scotland with Chick Young assembling a crowd of ex Old Firm players (and River City actors!) - paid for appearances - and taking on multinational companies at local Junior pitches.

If riders want to take their bikes to a track, have a meeting, perhaps call it "Speedbikes", then it would be perfectly legit. Naturally, the promoter could be in trouble with his licence. The riders are also taking a risk BUT If they created new tracks (or re-built old tracks) - not licenced by SCB, then not only would it be good for the sport, it would show the SCB/BSPA churlish nature.

If there was real money behind it, you would get riders and do a winter series in temporary venues such as large warehousing. Riders might even choose to go to an alternative series and tell the BSPA to go to hell.....they don't owe the BSPA or SCB anything. They have been poor custodians of the sport. Again, interesting to see Leslie/Shovlar making comparisons to the English FA, but it stops there as far as I am concerned. English FA have built St Georges Park......what have BSPA/SCB done for British riders, other than escalate an influx of non-EU riders.

Anything that increases the earnings of Speedway riders without unnecessary money going to "licencing" or giving cuts to middle men like Go Speed is good with me.

• Like 1

No different to the current speedway set up then? Except it took years for the BSPA to get the sport to the dizzy heights it is today.

.i am all for makeing things better but this idea is crap ..if your going change things then they have to be for the better and getting a load of second rate riders in a series of meetings is not .

If the BSPA had come up with this idea we would had 20 pages of what a stupid idea is was but because it's some one else it's the best thing since sliced bread .

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

.i am all for makeing things better but this idea is crap ..if your going change things then they have to be for the better and getting a load of second rate riders in a series of meetings is not .

And importing a bunch of second rate foreigners to ride for peanuts is?????

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is saying that these meetings will be fantastic or anything else, only that if the promoters want to run them and pay for it then they ought to be allowed. If they can make money or even break even, which they clearly think possible, then there is something to be learned from their efforts.

If they weren't succesful I am sure you would get your 20 pages of 'what a stupid idea' and 'I told you so'.

Must admit, I don't envisage tbe crowds flooding in on a Tuesday evening to watch the riders named so far. So in thst respect I don't know why the SCB/BSPA don't just let them try it.

Next thing that will happen is that speedway promoters will start leeching off greyhound, football and rugby ground owners and start to organise speedway meetings in them..........

• Like 1

And importing a bunch of second rate foreigners to ride for peanuts is?????

When do they bring them in ? i thought the clubs did or do the BSPA pick the sides ...as i said i am all for something better but this is not, is a crap idea .

Edited by orion

For something that's finished, with nothing left to see, so it's time to move on, you do like to keep coming back and going on. Isn't there some slapper hanging around waiting to be degraded in the name of making you a few quid?

What on earth are you on about? :blink:

I have an antique shop and run an auction house.

When do they bring them in ? i thought the clubs did or do the BSPA pick the sides ...as i said i am all for something better but this is not, is a crap idea .

What does BSPA stand for again? Who signs the riders?