British Speedway Forum
michaelcroucher

Speedway On Eurosport

I would be very surprised if the Grand Prix's are not shown live. If it is not live, Eurosport are not going to pay very much for it. Surely if they are going to the trouble of showing the NZ GP live in the middle of the night then they will be showing the other GP's live. With 4 nights out of 6 for the World cup it would not be very interesting if not shown live.

The British Eurosport website has just published it's schedule for the 23th March, and no mention of Speedway.

I do realise that they can and do change their schedules at a moments notice.

The British Eurosport website has just published it's schedule for the 23th March, and no mention of Speedway.

I do realise that they can and do change their schedules at a moments notice.

On Eurosport twitter yesterday it said the only Speedway currently 'confirmed' were the Euro Championship rounds starting in July!!

Speedway on Eurosport (not British Eurosport) is nothing new, as I recorded a few late night shows on British Eurosport 2 which had adverts for the Speedway World Cup last year where they said that they showing it in the middle of the afternoon on Eurosport (again, no British Eurosport, but the advert was in English), I checked the listings, but there was no Speedway on British Eurosport at all.

Maybe Sky's stranglehold on Speedway being shown in the UK could be over, it was good seeing some events like the Telford Ice Speedway Meeting and Garry Stead's Benefit meeting shown on MotorsTV a few years back, and it was so disappointing that thanks to Sky, the ELRC was broadcast over the internet everywhere but the UK.

Besides, here's a big clue:

429178_10200242616682326_1053737208_n.jpg

Eurosport schedule for 23rd March now showing Live Speedway at 0300 without any other information.

Subscribe from £2.99 p/m?

Saves me £25 per month as I get British Eurosport as part of my Virgin TV package. I used to have to subscribe to Sky Sports! Well done BSI-IMG-FIM :drink:

From the FIM Press Release:-

British Eurosport has signed a three year deal with BSI Speedway, an IMG company, to show live and exclusive high definition coverage of the FIM Speedway World Championships – FIM Speedway Grand Prix and Monster Energy FIM Speedway World Cup - in the UK and Ireland.

BSI Speedway is part of the motorsports division of IMG Worldwide, the global sports fashion and media company.

The season starts with live coverage of the Buckley Systems New Zealand FIM Speedway Grand Prix on Saturday 23rd March at 3.00am GMT with repeats and highlights throughout the weekend. British Eurosport will cover all rounds of the 12 race individual world championship including the 2013 British FIM Speedway Grand Prix from the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday 1st June. The deal also includes the right to broadcast the team world championship – the Monster Energy FIM Speedway World Cup – that takes place from 13-20 July across Europe.

British Eurosport is part of the Eurosport Group, Europe's leading sports entertainment group. The channel is available on Sky and Virgin Media in the UK and in Ireland through Sky and UPC. Later this month the channel will also be available on BT Vision in the UK. Viewers can also get access to the channel via the Eurosport Player, a subscription player service available on PC, iPhone, iPad and Android devices as well as some connected televisions.

Managing Director of British Eurosport David Kerr said, “We are really excited to add the FIM Speedway World Championships to our existing 45 round coverage of MotoGP, World and British Superbikes. Speedway will add a brand new discipline to our year round motorbike coverage and strengthens our position as the Home of Bikes.”

Commenting on the new deal, Paul Bellamy, Managing Director, BSI Speedway, said, “We are entering exciting times for both the FIM Speedway Grand Prix and the Monster Energy FIM Speedway World Cup and we are thrilled they will sit alongside other world class motorcycling disciplines on British Eurosport.

“We look forward to working alongside the British Eurosport team and welcoming them into the speedway family. I am sure the speedway fans, who have been waiting patiently for confirmation of the new UK broadcaster, will look forward to catching all the action on the channel that is now, undoubtedly, the home of bikes on TV.”

British Eurosport’s television schedule can be accessed at tv.eurosport.co.uk and more details on the Eurosport Player can be found at www.eurosportplayer.co.uk

Ends

Notes to editors

ABOUT EUROSPORT GROUP

The Eurosport Group is Europe's leading sports entertainment group. Eurosport, the n°1 pan-European TV channel, broadcasts in 20 languages and reaches 130 million homes across 54 countries. Eurosport HD is the high definition simulcast of Eurosport. Eurosport 2 broadcasts to 62 million households in 18 languages across 51 countries. Eurosport 2 HD was launched in August 2009. Eurosport Asia-Pacific reaches 17 countries in the region and launched an HD channel in September 2011. Eurosportnews is the sports news channel transmitted worldwide. Eurosport.com,

Europe's n°1 online sports destination, has up to 23 million unique users per month (comScore) across an international network of sports websites in 11 languages, including Yahoo! co-branded sites in Germany, Spain, Italy and the UK. The Eurosport.com free mobile applications are available in 10 languages. Eurosport Player, Eurosport's web TV service, provides LIVE and on-demand sports to fans' PCs in 52 countries and the Player mobile application is available in up to 34 countries. Eurosport Events is the group's expert division in the management and promotion of international sporting events.

HOW TO GET BRITISH EUROSPORT

British Eurosport and British Eurosport 2 are available on Sky channels 410 and 411 and on Virgin Media on channels 521 (HD 522) and 525 (HD 526). The channel will also be available on BT Vision later this month.

Viewers can also subscribe directly to the Eurosport player. Subscriptions range from £2.99 to £4.99 per month, depending on the length of contract. Full details at www.eurosportplayer.co.uk

Edited by Gambo

Happy with that. Eurosport is a cracking channel, and the comment about speedway now being aligned with other motorcycle sport is bang on. :approve:

I wonder who is going to host the programme. I take it that it will not be Nigel Pearson or Kelvin Tatum.

I assume you mean commentate, Keith Heuwen hosted on Sky's coverage!

Edited by chris4gillian

I wonder who is going to host the programme. I take it that it will not be Nigel Pearson or Kelvin Tatum.

Eurosport have said that for the first GP, they will take the world feed commentary and that will be Nigel Pearson & Kelvin Tatum.

Yes!! What a result :party: ...can only do good for the sport (hopefully) that its on a very bike orientated channel, and its cheaper than having to subscribe to Sky SPORTS.....Wonder will this be reflected in that viewing figures will be down dramatically ( as if they not low enough already after last years rainoffs, bad racing etc) as folk not going to pay extra for SS just for the EL Meets??. I for one will NOT be paying extra to get the SS and will just watch the GPs on Eurosport. I will miss seeing and hearing Nige and Kelvin though :sad::lol:, well maybe I will hear 'em!!

Will Eurosport grab the chance next year when the Sky contract runs out for the EL Coverage?....hope so but maybe just a highlights show which can give tasty snips of good racing and cut out the rest!! Its the only way we can hope to "tempt" supporters back.

Roll on NZ!!!!

Would you say that Eurosport is more accessible or less accessible?

Eurosport have said that for the first GP, they will take the world feed commentary and that will be Nigel Pearson & Kelvin Tatum.

NO it won't ... same as last year for the first one Steve Johnson and Aussie guy whose name escapes me for a moment. Hopefully messrs Pearson and Tatum will resume from Bydgoszcz