British Speedway Forum
Halifaxtiger

Bristol Speedway

Fantastic memories.

Eastville is now a bloody IKEA superstore.

Bulldogs on a Friday night, and the Gas (Rovers) on a saturday. What a weekend, best days of my childhood, I was 14 or 15.

Rovers are now up the road at the Memorial ground (hopefully soon to be at the new UWE stadium)

Going to Rovers at the same ground allowed me to get a feel for attendances and I can tell you that most weeks it was at least 8,000 and often 10,000 in attendance.

Can tell you too that the petition to keep the sport on got 100,000 signatures (yes, one hundred thousend) and they still didnt allow it. Dont get me started, but it was all down to politics.

The councillor helping drive this is a top man, he also supported the recent planning application by sainsbury which should allow the Memorial Ground to be develpoped which is key to the new UWE stadium for Rovers.

More memories:

The start marshall was Lee Harris.

Steve Gresham and Tormod Langli together were a terrfifying combination. Such memories, it was so well promoted, remember the wheelie contests, the interviews, the Bulldog breed club - there was always something going on on what was a real lesson on how to promote speedway. terible track though, but I didnt use to care at the time!

I found all my programmes in the loft, every one ever published in 77 and 78 by Bristol. I bet they are worth a few bob.

• Like 1

Have a look here

I have a DVD copy of 'Bristol Speedway' by 1st-Take which includes the Bob Coles crash and can remember vividly all the publicity it got at the time.

I used to go regularly to watch the Bulldogs, on foot from St Andrews, but missed that particular meeting.

Eastville used to get huge crowds for speedway (8K+) despite the track being crap and the pubs en route were always full as people gradually made their way down there

The racing despite a lack of passing appeared super-fast as there was no greyhound track in the way - well, they were racing on it. I remember Michael Lee flying round the outside just a few inches from where I stood - most scary and appeared far faster that anywhere else I've been before or since.

Steve Gresham is the 'dirtiest' rider I've ever seen - a hero to the Bulldog fans mind - and even won over Swindon fans eventually...

Best of luck to Bristol Speedway - if Bristol can't make a go of it, no one will..

I went to the first meeting, when Bristol came back was it 77? The Daily mirror meeting the crowd was huge.Remember it being rough and bumpy a sandy sort of surface good luck to the Bristol bulldogs be great to av em back.

Yep the stadium was owend by the Greyhound company and they experimented by putting a load of sand onto the track for the dogs then taking it up again for the speedway. Didn't really work.

The reason it was banned was because the stadium owners always maintained that Eastville was a sports stadium, in which sport was played (football, greyhounds) and so planning permission was not needed for speedway. But the Council disagreed and maintained planning permsission was needed..and promptly said No, despite its overwhellming popularity.

Always thought they put it down (sand) for the Speedway, and removed it after, thus the track was always "different", also remember the constant police cars that arrived to move spectators and cars stopped on the flyover at one end of the track. Horrible track, but still enjoyed the atmosphere generated by the big crowds, ah those were the days

i seem to remember in the first season bristol tried to use a dual surface for the dogs and bikes. i'm not sure when they started to lift and relay the track for every meeting. when i was a wee nipper on holiday in 1969 i went to see speedway at plymouth's old track at pennycross. the track there was a sand surface laid on tarmac which i recall was very dusty on a summers evening!

Regarding the Bob Coles crash I seem to remember that when interviewed later he said that he thought he was in trouble when he saw the crowd below him!

• Like 2

Just reading these posts make me smile ,does anyone remember ole olsen walking out complaining about the state of the track (how ironic). Also I think terry betts's career was ended at eastville after hitting the fence. Such wonderful memories for me. Just have to mention visiting hyde rd belle vue now there was a speedway track.

Yes the initial meetings were on a 'dual' surface but that didnt work out so they then started laying the sand down.

I cant remember how long they persisted with the initial idea.

Both didnt really work very well. I can remember several riders walking out in protest at difefrent times, Dave Jessup, John Davis and Malcolm Simmoms I recall.

Fantastic memories.

Eastville is now a bloody IKEA superstore.

Bulldogs on a Friday night, and the Gas (Rovers) on a saturday. What a weekend, best days of my childhood, I was 14 or 15.

Rovers are now up the road at the Memorial ground (hopefully soon to be at the new UWE stadium)

Going to Rovers at the same ground allowed me to get a feel for attendances and I can tell you that most weeks it was at least 8,000 and often 10,000 in attendance.

Can tell you too that the petition to keep the sport on got 100,000 signatures (yes, one hundred thousend) and they still didnt allow it. Dont get me started, but it was all down to politics.

The councillor helping drive this is a top man, he also supported the recent planning application by sainsbury which should allow the Memorial Ground to be develpoped which is key to the new UWE stadium for Rovers.

More memories:

The start marshall was Lee Harris.

Steve Gresham and Tormod Langli together were a terrfifying combination. Such memories, it was so well promoted, remember the wheelie contests, the interviews, the Bulldog breed club - there was always something going on on what was a real lesson on how to promote speedway. terible track though, but I didnt use to care at the time!

Totally agree, you would think that nowdays with the increasing cost of attending speedway, tracks would be doing everything possible to improve the entertainment and presentation, sadly not. I had the number 1 Bulldog club membership card, you also got a Bulldogs Christmas card.

I found all my programmes in the loft, every one ever published in 77 and 78 by Bristol. I bet they are worth a few bob.

Edited by oldtimer

ROB TATUM

Gresham started it,'Flash'finished it at Oxford a few weeks later.Gresham in tears,new bike,2nd corner,2nd lap,new bike bent almost double, AND he finished up being excluded (possibly because he had tried it on Gordon on the first lap) i know Gordon certainly "RAMMED" his point home that night.

Anybody know what the latest is about bring back speedway to the bristol area, Though somewhere on avonmouth was mentioned but seemed to go quiet

it says something - I'm not quite sure what - that the racing was reported to be rubbish and yet 8 or 10,000 turned up every week!!

A lot of people came from over the bridge from South Wales (like myself) to Eastville following the Newport riders that ended up there.

All the best to Andy & his team in thier attempts to get Bristol up and running.