British Speedway Forum
Halifaxtiger

Bristol Speedway

Andy Hewlett has posted some news on facebook:

'OK looks like we might be starting to get somewhere. The Planning Officer at Bristol City Council is now (finally) looking at our pre-app (submitted in October last year!) and has been in contact with our Planning Consultant . So hopefully we can get an official response soon. Steve Comer has been working very hard behind the scenes and I think we can get our "Round table" meeting together in a few weeks time. Then we should be able to make some real progress. Thanks Steve for your patience'.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

The planning department need reporting! They have guidelines in which to consider applications.

Once the full application is in they should consider it within six weeks or a complaint of non determination can be submitted.

The planning department need reporting! They have guidelines in which to consider applications.

Once the full application is in they should consider it within six weeks or a complaint of non determination can be submitted.

It sounds like it is a pre-full application. A 'can you see any issues, before we submit a full app?'.

Edited by Ray Stadia

Fortunately the promotion has time on their hands with the current economy. Therefore a good opportunity to make sure those t's are well and truly crossed.

Some hopeful News anyway. Good Luck to Bristol and their Supporters.

• Like 1

did any of you lot ever go to speedway at eastville. i can remember a good stadium, massive crowds and a dodgy track. lets hope if the new venue gets off the ground it can get some of that fantastic support the bulldogs used to get.

Had word yesterday that a full planning application will be going in for a track in Cornwall soon too. :t:

• Like 1

I lived in lockleaze 2 miles from eastville and used to walk down to the stadium on what always seemed to be be warm sunny friday evenings. The stadium was good and the track was rough but for a 14 year old kid it was heaven. Due to finance I had to decide on watching the GAS (rovers) or phil crump ,the mildura marvel won hands down and for the last 36 years this wonderful sport has always been no 1. Does anyone remember bob coles hitting the fence and flying up in the air if I remember it was shown on world of sport the next day or steve gresham (the most dangerous rider ever?)Having a punch up with gordon kennet. Happy days.

Had word yesterday that a full planning application will be going in for a track in Cornwall soon too. :t:

Is this the one at Fraddon?

I lived in lockleaze 2 miles from eastville and used to walk down to the stadium on what always seemed to be be warm sunny friday evenings. The stadium was good and the track was rough but for a 14 year old kid it was heaven. Due to finance I had to decide on watching the GAS (rovers) or phil crump ,the mildura marvel won hands down and for the last 36 years this wonderful sport has always been no 1. Does anyone remember bob coles hitting the fence and flying up in the air if I remember it was shown on world of sport the next day or steve gresham (the most dangerous rider ever?)Having a punch up with gordon kennet. Happy days.

i was at the meeting when bob coles hit the fence on the first bend and flew through the air. it was against wimbledon and i went on the dons coach. it poured with rain all the way and only stopped just before we got to bristol. i know this meeting was televised, i wonder if any footage survives.

I have a photo of Bob Coles flying above the fence which was in the next meetings match programme. The track at Eastville was not very good and some riders would not attack it, however the 7,000 crowds that were reported each week were I think an under estimate, there were always long queues to get in, and the atmosphere was great, something sadly lacking nowdays. Do you remember the black guy who was the flag man, dressed up in something from the fancy dress shop, he used to stand on the track and jump up and down as riders crossed the finish. Nowdays the flag man might as well be made of wood, oh for the days when speedway was entertaining.

• Like 1