British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pinny

What Are They Doing Now

Stumbled on some old scorecards whilst having a clear out on my PC... what has happened to the following riders?

Jesper Olsen

Neville Tatum

Paul Bentley

Scott Swain

Phillipe Berge

Robert Eriksson

Scott Lamb

Steve Masters

Peter Jeffrey

Paul Pickering

Dave Mullett

Petri Kokko

Mario Jirout

All were superb riders at PL level on their day, most of them true number ones who were in action when I first started going to speedway in the late 90s. What are they doing now?

Edited by ThePinstripe

Jesper lives in Bedlington, Northumberland and is the Leading Technicial for Pearson Engineering Company in Walker, Newcastle. Does not go to speedway very often now. He didn't attend much when he was injured, as he doesn't really like watching it, he only wanted to ride it.

Olsen was a class act in 1999... some of his tussles at Newport with Watson were thrilling to watch, and the PLRC at Sheffield.

He never seemed to be the same powerful figure after 1999 though.

Robert Eriksson runs Gerhardsson Motors at Kumla, selling speedway spares.

www.gerhardssonmotor.se

I'd love to know what happened to Paul Pickering, he rode for the Witches as their No 8 and was quite a hit.

Did he get injured :unsure: , not too sure really.

I'd love to know what happened to Paul Pickering, he rode for the Witches as their No 8 and was quite a hit.

Did he get injured :unsure: , not too sure really.

He got badly injured, tendon damage in his arm I believe. He was out for a long time, tried a comeback with Stoke, but it was obviously his riding days were over. He was a plumber, so I would imagine that he is that now.

He got badly injured, tendon damage in his arm I believe. He was out for a long time, tried a comeback with Stoke, but it was obviously his riding days were over. He was a plumber, so I would imagine that he is that now.

Thanks very much, thought he got injured, but as time goes by so does my memory :P so wasn't sure. Enjoyed watching him ride for us, obviously they were our EL days, so didn't follow his PL team.

Olsen was a class act in 1999... some of his tussles at Newport with Watson were thrilling to watch, and the PLRC at Sheffield.

He never seemed to be the same powerful figure after 1999 though.

Quite agree about Jesper. I signed him as a heatleader, when he had only been an enthusiastic second string, but he turned out to be a diamond. He turned out to be a class act and gave Sean Wilson a good run one year in the PLRC at Sheffield, when he came in 2nd. Remember Sean also knocked him off at the 4's at Peterbrough one year after he had beaten him. Sneaked up alongside him, grabbed his cutoff and knocked him off. Plenty of witnesses and video, so he was fined and given a suspended ban which triggered off another one later on. Didn't like foreigners Sean.

Thanks very much, thought he got injured, but as time goes by so does my memory :P so wasn't sure. Enjoyed watching him ride for us, obviously they were our EL days, so didn't follow his PL team.

He had rides for us when he started from grasstracking, and went to Bradford. Dropped down and went to Reading in the PL and was the top rider in the league getting max's everywhere. I am sure he came off, and got hit by another rider, hence his arm injuries. Perhaps a Stoke supporter could expend on that.

Quite agree about Jesper. I signed him as a heatleader, when he had only been an enthusiastic second string, but he turned out to be a diamond. He turned out to be a class act and gave Sean Wilson a good run one year in the PLRC at Sheffield, when he came in 2nd. Remember Sean also knocked him off at the 4's at Peterbrough one year after he had beaten him. Sneaked up alongside him, grabbed his cutoff and knocked him off. Plenty of witnesses and video, so he was fined and given a suspended ban which triggered off another one later on. Didn't like foreigners Sean.

He had rides for us when he started from grasstracking, and went to Bradford. Dropped down and went to Reading in the PL and was the top rider in the league getting max's everywhere. I am sure he came off, and got hit by another rider, hence his arm injuries. Perhaps a Stoke supporter could expend on that.

Wilson didnt like anyone who beat him... refused to shake the hands of Watson and Henriksson many times at Newport when they beat him.

Wilson didnt like anyone who beat him... refused to shake the hands of Watson and Henriksson many times at Newport when they beat him.

Wilson was the reason that Jan Staechman had to retire, dirty b'stard.

Pickers was a class act, with Stekkers they were the best 1 and 5 in the league when at Stoke (IMO). The season that Stekkers got taken out (go on Wilson sue me) and Pickers got hurt was a bad one for Stoke, 2005 I think it was, but I'm not 100% sure.

He tried a comeback in 2007, but was not the rider he was, the blasts around the outside just weren't there. Quite understandably when he had spent so long out injured.

After a career ending neck injury Phillipe Bergé moved back to France and Haida a hairdressing salon on the coast at lacanau. Then he moved on to the island of Mauritius where he opened a restaurant After two years there he came back to France and now has a pizza restaurant in the suburbs of Bordeaux. His son Dimitri is a world youth champion in both 125 & 250cc on Grasstrack. He beat my son Adam for the title in the 250cc French championships last year. He is 16 years old like Adam, weighs about 55lg and is bloody good on a speedway bike. We're hoping to get him some second halves this year

Pickers was a class act, with Stekkers they were the best 1 and 5 in the league when at Stoke (IMO). The season that Stekkers got taken out (go on Wilson sue me) and Pickers got hurt was a bad one for Stoke, 2005 I think it was, but I'm not 100% sure.

He tried a comeback in 2007, but was not the rider he was, the blasts around the outside just weren't there. Quite understandably when he had spent so long out injured.

No doubting Pickering and Staechmann were a fine top duo, but were never the best in the league.

Smart and Watson, Stoney and Karlsson (later then Stead), Wilson and Compton (previously Stead), Bird/Shields/Morton, Harris & Zagar are just a few that stand out as being that bit better.

Pickering was always a fine visitor to Newport, even if he did like to throw it about a bit... I remember him stuffing Lindqvist in the fourth bend fence at Newport ending his season and was reminded the other day of him completely stuffing Ben Howe into the first bend fence after Howe had beaten him twice going into the last heat. where the incident happened. A damn good rider though.

Remember Pickering and Henriksson both not giving an inch going into turns 1 and 2 from the start,Newport fans calling him names from his hole to his pole... :lol: ,think Anders may have been excluded for it,I could be wrong though.

Must admit I didn`t have a problem with it,Anders could dish it out at times...

No doubting Pickering and Staechmann were a fine top duo, but were never the best in the league.

Smart and Watson, Stoney and Karlsson (later then Stead), Wilson and Compton (previously Stead), Bird/Shields/Morton, Harris & Zagar are just a few that stand out as being that bit better.

Pickering was always a fine visitor to Newport, even if he did like to throw it about a bit... I remember him stuffing Lindqvist in the fourth bend fence at Newport ending his season and was reminded the other day of him completely stuffing Ben Howe into the first bend fence after Howe had beaten him twice going into the last heat. where the incident happened. A damn good rider though.

What about Bjarne, Jesper and Compton. :P

Paul took KB off in about 2002 on our forth bend on the last lap, and it made KB bite though his tongue. I was on the centre green, by the start post, and by the time I got to him his helmet was just about full of blood. Bad riding, as KB had tried the inside on the previous laps and KB changed to the outside for the last lap, and Paul just closed the door on him when at speed. Lost respect for him then. Mind you, he guested for Edinburgh at Armadale, only scored 4 points and we won, so it's not all bad.