British Speedway Forum
21st century heathen

Matt Ford To Be Commended

Amasing how many suddenly change their opinion of Matt. This is something everybody at poole already knows.

I still think Matt Ford would sell his granny to gain an advantage over the rest of the league and will screw anyone over he has to. just because he's handled this one situation well doesn't mean he's suddenly in line for a sainthood in my opinion.

My opinion of Ford hasn't changed, but at least he seems to be dealing with this situation correctly and a damn site better than Middlo.

• Like 1

Amasing how many suddenly change their opinion of Matt. This is something everybody at poole already knows.

Perhaps its just that many people do not blindly think one way or another but are capable of taking every situation at its own merits and give credit where its due

• Like 9

Have to agree, in this instance Mr Ford seems to be a lot more media savvy than his team manager.

I still think he is a cheating git when it comes to fiddling rules and averages though.

• Like 1

Perhaps its just that many people do not blindly think one way or another but are capable of taking every situation at its own merits and give credit where its due

Absolutely spot on.

I suggest Starman considers the comments of Mr Ford.. then considers his (Starmans) defence of Mr Middleditch... then considers this post from Lioness.

Might be asking too much though...

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

I don't think many have changed their opinion of MF. I said in my previous post that this is the way that I would expect him to handle the situation but of course it has been handled in a way that is the best interests of Poole Speedway anyway - nothing wrong with that.

But as SCB has already said, he will still manipulate rules etc to gain a advantage for Poole.

• Like 1

I can't believe you lot on here. On one thread your persecuting a genuine, decent man and the next thread your singing the praises of the most selfish and calculated man in Speedway. I for one, wouldn't believe anything Matt Ford said, and what ever he did say, was a calculated response. It most certainly didn't come from the heart. Whereas with Neil, we have a sincere genuine person would help anybody being persecuted for saying the wrong things when he was first asked for his view. If he had the opportunity to see the backlash first, then probably he would have said something different. So please don't compare these two as if Matt Ford is some kind of messiah ...... Give me Neil any day.....

Unfortunately from now on Darcy is going to be labelled as a convicted drug user, however exciting he is, any excitement and success will have this shadow around it.

But on a brighter note, with the Sport so low in the public gaize, it will not even reach anyone outside the SStar and Poole Echo.

I feel very sorry for Middlo in all this, as he's been dragged into a swamp three times now by the same rider, Neil is a very genuine,and decent guy, who will always answer you honestly, he's probably too genuine for his own good, as it would be far more convenient to cheat and lie.

Any reason why Matt Ford can't replace the Pope now he's retired, with all the people being converted on here, he'd be good for the Catholic Church.

Edited by Lord Skid
  • Like 1

I don't think many have changed their opinion of MF. I said in my previous post that this is the way that I would expect him to handle the situation but of course it has been handled in a way that is the best interests of Poole Speedway anyway - nothing wrong with that.

But as SCB has already said, he will still manipulate rules etc to gain a advantage for Poole.

As every other Promoter does to their own advantage!

Unfortunately from now on Darcy is going to be labelled as a convicted drug user, however exciting he is, any excitement and success will have this shadow around it.

But on a brighter note, with the Sport so low in the public gaize, it will not even reach anyone outside the SStar and Poole Echo.

I feel very sorry for Middlo in all this, as he's been dragged into a swamp three times now by the same rider, Neil is a very genuine,and decent guy, who will always answer you honestly, he's probably too genuine for his own good, as it would be far more convenient to cheat and lie.

Any reason why Matt Ford can't replace the Pope now he's retired, with all the people being converted on here, he'd be good for the Catholic Church.

...but he hasn't been convicted!!! He's been fined for a number of 'minor' offences which he owned up to. Maybe - just maybe - Middlo was commenting in the Echo on what he knew really happened on 29.12.12 (rather than the Echo repeating an Aussie paper story) - a few lads messing about with a 50cc pit bike at 0430 hours on a bit of parkland at the back of his parents house!!

Edited by Skidder1

...but he hasn't been convicted!!! He's been fined for a number of 'minor' offences which he owned up to. Maybe - just maybe - Middlo was commenting in the Echo on what he knew really happened on 29.12.12 (rather than the Echo repeating an Aussie paper story) - a few lads messing about with a 50cc pit bike at 0430 hours on a bit of parkland at the back of his parents house!!

So you are saying he has been fined for something he didn't do.Playing with words IMO.What did he own up too.

Unfortunately from now on Darcy is going to be labelled as a convicted drug user,

You have evidence of this then? If not delete it, it's highly libelous.

It's a statement of fact. He pleaded guilty to using drugs, he's even admitted it in his official statement if there was any doubt the Aussie legal system was misquoting him. Thus he is a convicted drug user.

Yes. Darcy Ward pleaded guilty.

Darcy has done the right thing by issuing a statement and apologising for his actions.

Its a shame some of his sycophants can't accept, as he seems to have done, that he has done wrong.

As Darcy himself has admitted, he wasn't just riding his bike on some parkland. In his statement he admits riding his bike (and if he is fleeing from the police, which you conveniently ignore, it will be at some speed) down an alleyway. Hardly 'parkland'.

I can't believe you lot on here. On one thread your persecuting a genuine, decent man and the next thread your singing the praises of the most selfish and calculated man in Speedway. I for one, wouldn't believe anything Matt Ford said, and what ever he did say, was a calculated response. It most certainly didn't come from the heart. Whereas with Neil, we have a sincere genuine person would help anybody being persecuted for saying the wrong things when he was first asked for his view. If he had the opportunity to see the backlash first, then probably he would have said something different. So please don't compare these two as if Matt Ford is some kind of messiah ...... Give me Neil any day.....

The thread is not about whether Middlo is a good bloke or whether Matt Ford is selfish. It is about Matt Ford's handling of a particular situation.

Ford and Middlo were approached by a news paper to comment on the criminal conviction of one of their riders. Ford did the right thing when faced with embarrassing publicity. You deal with the story, make the right noises, wrestle it to the ground and kill it. Whatever people think of Ford he handled it correctly on this occasion. Middlo did the opposite-he tried to explain, justify or defend Wards actions and in doing so has now made the story a bigger issue than the crime itself. Nothing to do with whether he is a nice bloke. If Middlo had said nothing and let his boss do the talking this would be yesterdays news by now. Middlo's remarks have ensured it will run on for a while yet.

• Like 1

The $5500 fine was for 'fleeing from the Police' - a minimum fine introduced in 2012. The 2-year disqualification was for offences related to not having a licence. Although admitting the offences the 'conviction' is not recorded on his 'file'!

The parkland is at the back of his parent's house and the alleyway down the side of the property!

A stupid thing to do nonetheless! Incidentally, it would be interesting to know what the punishment would have been if he'd just stopped and stayed with the Police? Just a disqualification presumably?!