British Speedway Forum
speedwayadict

How To Make Speedway More Appealing To Younger Fans?

The PDC have just signed a new contract for the Darts on Sky and maybe "we" could take a leaf out of their book? Is Darts that popular as a sport or is it just what happens at a PDC event (look at the BDO in comparison) The Premier League darts seems to offer the whole package including the sport aspect, but how many go for the darts and how many go for the cheap beer? Why not try £10 entry into speedway and £1.50 a pint! :drink:

I can assure you that the beer at the darts is far from cheap and neither are the ticket prices...

I can assure you that the beer at the darts is far from cheap and neither are the ticket prices...

Agreed 110%!!

Another thing, at many (most?) speedway tracks, its not the speedway promoter that gets the beer and refreshment money, its the stadium owner!!

Edited by Skidder1

My daughter is now 11 and between races she always tries to get autographs from riders, more interaction between riders and younger fans is key. I see Coventry will have a fun bus for younger kids at a few meetings which is good to see.

• Like 1

well what else then - just wait til it all dies?

As I stated, I don't know what the answer is. There has been a snow ball effect whereby the world has changed and speedway has not over an extended period which serves only to exacerbate the problems. And more alarmingly, perhaps, for the most part it seems unwilling to change.

My daughter is now 11 and between races she always tries to get autographs from riders, more interaction between riders and younger fans is key. I see Coventry will have a fun bus for younger kids at a few meetings which is good to see.

Whilst I think rider/fan interaction is largely good and major plus point for the sport I do think that 1) more could be done in this area and 2) trying to catch riders between heats is going to be a little hit-and-miss and should probably be discouraged to avoid disappointment if a rider is unwilling while he's in the middle of a meeting.

Thank you for the suggestions so far... they are much appreciated. We intend to make the riders available for autographs etc at regular intervals. Can anyone tell me what the "fun bus" that Coventry have is?

Unfortunately we do not have the flexibility to change admission prices etc, but could possibly make a deal for vouchers to be given to existing supporters to bring someone new. The problem with this being a percentage will be given to supporters who would come anyway hence a net loss!

I know a lot of people say that the interval is boring. Might it be worth trying to arrange something going on at this time?

You will not attract young people to speedway long term by any means you try. Its to late for speedway now unfortunatly.

I have to disagree mate. Speedway is a marketable form of entertainment. Raw excitement. Kids should love it but unfortunately there is no one prepared to actually promote an amazing sport.

Forget all the bullsh1t there is no finer sight than a damn good speedway race.

• Like 5

The worst thing is you see a really great race, the crowd is exciting and then they play some easy listening music and you wait for 10 minutes while the riders prepare for the next heat. Doesn't matter how old you are, you get bored in them gaps but if you're young, 10 minutes feels like hours.

I have to disagree mate. Speedway is a marketable form of entertainment. Raw excitement. Kids should love it but unfortunately there is no one prepared to actually promote an amazing sport.

Forget all the bullsh1t there is no finer sight than a damn good speedway race.

indeed it is, but no one will do anything. they all talk about it but that is where it ends.

As mentioned before, speedway needs to be promoted as an extreme sport to attract teenage boys. The downside is that marketing this way alienates the current customer base of people who travel to each meeting via a time portal from 1952 when you got a night at the speedway, 6 pints of beer, a go on the funfair and a dance at the Palais for fourpence ha'penny.

Everyone was lovely, there was no crime, the hoodie hadn't been invented and neither had muslims. The Empire was creaking but the new Queen was lovely.

The technology of the sport has moved on massively but the customer base has not.

Entertaining the few kids who go now is less important than gaining a new audience for the sport.

You need to get teenagers in by the classroom load and get them chapperoned around by a trendy geezer (not this guy). http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/archive/0/0f/20080208212814!Nerd.jpg

Keep them away from the greys and the badged up wulf jacket gangs. One look at the current crop of customers and they'll be out the door before heat one.

• Like 1

UK Speedway Series was going to be a start

I went to the darts a while ago and the beer was cheap so maybe the price have increased due to supply and demand? So you have to question why so many go just for the occasion then?

This topic was asking the question 'How to make Speedway more appealing to Younger fans?'

And we haven't really come up with much, have we?

Just restating how exciting WE think a Speedway can be is not the same as offering anything new to the youngsters, is it?

More promotion is always vaunted; as if that was the answer on it's own. Surely we are fooling ourselves to think that.

The truth is that standing outside watching Live Sport (with the exception of football) is not a popular activity for many teenagers.

And it is not going to increase in popularity in the future either, is it?

You have to think like a youngster too.

Why would I want to leave the warm comfort of my bedroom with my PC/game console. To spend a cold evening, stood in a Siberian wind listening to some old geezer muttering into a mic.

• Like 1