British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coban78

Cant Bspa Organize Woman Speedway Race?

how can you organise something for which there are no competitors. :blink:

I've heard it said a number of riders are riding like women though, so maybe those riders could make up the numbers?

The other way of thinking is, if a woman is good enough, she'll be given a chance. For instance,Sabrina Bøgh won the Danish Under 21 title in 2001 beating the likes of Iversen, Bjerre, Korneliussen and Ostergaard.

I also once saw Jessica Lamb ride in a PL standard meeting at Newport. I believe she failed to score and in once race, Chris Schramm (Newports reserve) fell off, got back on and still beat her.

Edited by SCB

Hi all i just wondered if BSPA ever thought organize woman speedway event?

Women are allowed to ride anyway, there have been two or three in the amateur meetings at Scunthorpe in recent years, there have been quite a few over the years but never enough to fill an event.
  • Like 1

Yet further proof that people should have to pass an aptitude test before being allowed on t'internet...

• Like 2

Hi all i just wondered if BSPA ever thought organize woman speedway event?

I think they are still trying to master the art of running men's speedway events.

• Like 3

I have seen three girls taking part in practice sessions at Leicester recently, but they can't slide the bike.

Shortage of competitors is the obvious problem, but maybe it's worth asking what speedway does to encourage the involvement of 50 per cent of the country's population - apart from start-line girls that is. Football and rugby have enjoyed a massive increase in popularity among women in recent years, partly thanks to girls being encouraged to play the sports up to a high standard.

• Like 1

Quite a number of girls/women in Denmark and Germany.Think a relative of Kenneth Hansen is riding 80cc.Also quite an exciting and pretty pair of twins just moved up onto 500cc in Germany under the wing(so he say's) of former world champ Egon Müller.But i heard they are going to take it very careful and might not actually enter a meeting until the end of the season..Normally though it seems that once women reach their early 20s they give up.Nanna Jörgensen in Denmark,Nynke de Jong in Holland,Jessica Bilgenroth in Germany.I was quite impressed with Bilgenroth once,but she had an accident and was never the same i think.Also remember being quite imressed with one of the Frenk sisters on a rare visit to Longtrack.Most do have a decent technique.I only remember one girl who really couldn't slide the bike and just gave a bit of gas down the straight and took the bend in about 3 straight lines........more often than not she finished a meeting with 2 or 3 points though as at least she did finish every heat whereas some of the guys fell off trying too hard

• Like 1

Talk about multi tasking...How can you ride speedway and do the dishes at the same time :)

You'd need a St John's, a Broken Nail Repair Facility and a hairdresser on standby everytime the helmet came off.

• Like 1

Chris Schramm (Newports reserve) fell off, got back on and still beat her.

Bet he wouldn't have resorted to violence if it was a man. :rolleyes:

Edited by george.m

I also once saw Jessica Lamb ride in a PL standard meeting at Newport. I believe she failed to score and in once race, Chris Schramm (Newports reserve) fell off, got back on and still beat her.

I'm just amazed to hear that Schramm fell off!!!

• Like 2

Lets face it , we all know what women are best at riding and its not a speedway bike, :P end of :D

• Like 1

it would only be a matter of time before one of the current promotors got in someone who is a man but was a women before the op ,stating that their mother was a women or lived in scotland in a past life or another lame excuse similar to the crap they come up with now to get round the rules which they make but cant stick to

and just for the record jessica lamb was not really that bad and did score some points at reserve for plymouth

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2