British Speedway Forum
Stephen7

Sky's Additions To It's Speedway Coverage.

Eurosport will do better coverage anyway!

Eurosport have no money!

They are getting the feed from somebody else for a pittance!

If you think they are going to pay production costs then your mistaken!

Whats do you think will be skys decision on tv speedway next year? Do you think we'll get regular live speedway? Perhaps BT sport might have a pop at it? Or will we be back to the "dark years" with little or nowt to view on the tellybox?

Never to old

Whats do you think will be skys decision on tv speedway next year? Do you think we'll get regular live speedway? Perhaps BT sport might have a pop at it? Or will we be back to the "dark years" with little or nowt to view on the tellybox?

Never to old

I understand that SKY will not be showing any Speedway next year. :sad: :sad:

Sky have no plans to show speedway next year. So all the moaners and wingers can gripe about something other than charlie ,tatum ,pearson etc. Sky at least gave it a good go its a shame speedway in this country didn't make the most of the opportunity unlike darts.

• Like 1

Sky have no plans to show speedway next year. So all the moaners and wingers can gripe about something other than charlie ,tatum ,pearson etc. Sky at least gave it a good go its a shame speedway in this country didn't make the most of the opportunity unlike darts.

Nonsense! They are still considering it

Sky had no plans to show La Liga a couple of years ago but they picked it up a week before the season started.

All us fans can do is keep on watching, Keep the viewing figures high!

Edited by Hougaard Racing Fans
  • Like 1

Sky had no plans to show La Liga a couple of years ago but they picked it up a week before the season started.

Well, it's easy to pick up La Liga because they pick up coverage from another broadcaster.

If Sky do drop out, I wonder what chance there is of seeing British Speedway appearing on the new BT sports channels.

As far as I have seen, they have a very limited list of sports that they have actually got the rights for. They have scooped up plenty of the football leagues, and I guess that makes sense as football is the big driver for sports tv subscriptions in the UK, but their diversity looks pretty poor...A bit of rugby union, the WTA, MLB, UFC and MotoGP (starting next season) seem to be the extent of their other main captures.

British league speedway would probably be a useful little addition to fill up some of the schedule....

• Like 1

If Sky do drop out, I wonder what chance there is of seeing British Speedway appearing on the new BT sports channels.

British league speedway would probably be a useful little addition to fill up some of the schedule....

Expensive to cover, unreliable due to weather and sudden breaks in water service pipes, poor viewing figures, lop sided fixtures, poorly prepared racing surfaces making racing dull and boring, non existent crowds for live meets making for zero atmosphere.

Overseen by a crew of imbiciles.

Hell it's perfect for a TV company to snap up. I will be surprised if they are not fighting over the rights to speedway. :)

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 1

One question, does British Ice Hockey have a tv contract ?

I remember them losing their SKY contract at about the time when SKY took on board the Speedway Elite League.

How did the British Ice Hockey League cope without SKY in the last few years ?

As far as I have seen, they have a very limited list of sports that they have actually got the rights for. They have scooped up plenty of the football leagues, and I guess that makes sense as football is the big driver for sports tv subscriptions in the UK, but their diversity looks pretty poor...A bit of rugby union, the WTA, MLB, UFC and MotoGP (starting next season) seem to be the extent of their other main captures.

Expensive to cover, unreliable due to weather and sudden breaks in water service pipes, poor viewing figures, lop sided fixtures, poorly prepared racing surfaces making racing dull and boring, non existent crowds for live meets making for zero atmosphere.

Hell it's perfect for a TV company to snap up. I will be surprised if they are not fighting over the rights to speedway. :)

I agree. There's a really attractive offering for some other enterprising TV outlet to cover a widespread British sport that attracts in total to its tracks a massive 35,000 spectators each week. :icon_smile_clown:

There's a huge difference between La Liga being snapped up by Sky just before the start of a season (it's been the same for several years with Sky's coverage of American Football's NFL) and the prospect of Elite League speedway doing a TV deal in March next year.

Sky's money towards La Liga or the NFL is a tiny fraction of the total TV-money going into those leagues ... it's effectively bonus money for the clubs in those competitions rather than a vital aspect of their pre-season budgeting.

As a rough estimate, it costs each Elite League club about £20,000 to run a pair of home-&-away meetings against another club but at least £5,000 of that's been covered by the Sky money in recent seasons ... given the restrictions of team building in the Elite League thanks to the points limit and double-upper rules, how do you expect promoters to build their 2014 lineups without knowing if they'll have that sizeable a chunk of their budget to spend ? ... it would be like asking Barcelona or the San Francisco 49ers to get ready for a new season with mega-millions suddenly wiped off their plans.

Sky have maintained for several years that they're really pleased with the viewing figures they get for speedway compared to other sports that might be regarded as having similar-sized fan bases ... but it's also now at least a year since it became clear Sky are keen to cut their production costs on any of their sports to make up for how much they've spent on both Formula One and the new 3-year deal for Premier League football that started with yesterday's games.

As pandorum's pointed out already, speedway's dependency on the weather means its production costs for the year have to include an amount that they're expecting to write off with the washouts that are likely to crop up during the season (don't forget, Poole's leg of the playoff final last year finally went ahead at the 4th attempt which caused stacks of rescheduling chaos at Sky, never mind the extreme financial cost of booking all the crew four times just to show one meeting) ... it doesn't matter how keenly Sky's producers talk about speedway's viewing figures, the chances are Sky's accountants will be heard even louder by their management.

It also means any other broadcaster's accountants (eg, BTor Eurosport) are unlikely to put British domestic speedway too high up their wish list.

The only other very weather-dependent sport that Sky invest in is cricket but they put up with the rain and bad light in that sport because they still get their hands on events like the Ashes, the rest of England's Tests, the World Cup and the 20/20 World Cup that feature prominently in the sporting calendar and back pages ... by giving up Grand Prix coverage, clearly because they couldn't guarantee room for it in their Saturday-evening schedules, Sky have already removed speedway's "crown jewel" from their portfolio, making it much harder for their producers to justify to their accountants that it's still worth covering the domestic action.

By the way, to answer Bavarian's comparison of tv-coverage between ice hockey and speedway, you have to remember British ice-hockey has never been anywhere near a high-enough standard to attract any current world-class stars into its clubs in the same way that both Poole and Wolves began this year with 2 Grand Prix names in each of their 1-to-7... yes, British ice hockey has had to adjust to less tv-coverage and it's meant some big-city teams closing down (notably Newcastle) but speedway's readjustment if Sky pull out will be much greater.

Edited by arthur cross
  • Like 1

You forgot contrived Scores. :mad: :mad:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

I agree. There's a really attractive offering for some other enterprising TV outlet to cover a widespread British sport that attracts in total to its tracks a massive 35,000 spectators each week. :icon_smile_clown:

Does that include the dozen people that attend Lakeside during TV broadcasts.

so more like 35,012.

Edited by pandorum

One question, does British Ice Hockey have a tv contract ?

I remember them losing their SKY contract at about the time when SKY took on board the Speedway Elite League.

How did the British Ice Hockey League cope without SKY in the last few years ?

Speedway was already on Sky when Ice Hockey signed up and they ran tandem transmissions for two years but Ice Hockey didn,t sign up for the third year as this was where the contract stipulated they had to pay Sky for transmission.Ice Hockey is still on Sky as a highlight show and I have been told the crowds have gone up since they are not live on TV anymore which seems to point towards maybe an upturn for Speedway crowds once Sky have quit but promoters have got to get off their backsides and actually care about their fans .Was that a pig just flown by my window. :rofl: