British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Berwick V Redcar Koc 13 Apr @ 7pm

Could well be that the loan fee was the difference between choosing Edberg over Dyer.

But for the record in my preview thread I did question the validity of choosing Edberg over Dyer.

Berwick

Gone with a very solid looking side, with Ricky Ashworth leading the side this season, the other two heatleaders are Crazy Kozza Smith and Robin Aspegren.

Thoughts on those three, I hope that curse does not hit Ricky of the ex Sheffield rider 2nd season away from Sheffield like it did with Andre Compton and Ben Wilson. Kozza is coming back from a season out and I think may struggle a bit with the role of 2nd heatleader. Of the the three I think that Aspegren could be the one that could go on to better things, and I think that he may push Ricky for the top slot.

The 2nd strings are where I think that Berwick are particularly strong Matt Wethers seems to score decent points everywhere and Bellego is a talent and will go on to better things if he can sort out his engines.

The reserves were a surprise as I thought Berwick would have gone with Micky Dyer, but they have gone with the very injury prone Alex Edberg and the Dane Nicki Barrett. Both probably capable of putting something on their average, but can young Edberg stay injury free.

Berwicks chances next season, I would say at best just outside the play offs, at worse mid table. I thin they will be an entertaining team though.

Key Rider; Kozza Smith

Most fans that attend will agree that the TEAM is not the problem at this stage of the season.
  • Like 2

And it is a valid enough question, the "was it because of team suits" point however, is ridiculous.

Thus far Edberg has been performing well enough, if he is to continue like he has at home and pick up away he will have more than done his job.

You could put forward a logical point that every club in the PL made a mistake by not signing Dyer, it is hardly rocket science....

I think its very early to be looking at team changes because without question we have a good team on paper who have proved in the past that individually they are capable of scoring well both home and away.

What is clear as I posted previously is the track is not set up for our team of non gating racers to work from the back and score the points their efforts deserve.

So if the football is hapenning on a Saturday, is there any access restrictions on the Friday or Saturday morning to get the track set up, watered etc... Just a question.

Another observation. Kings Lynn was mentioned in a previous post as being a true racetrack with plenty of passing. The difference being that the riders can turn up at any time and practice as much as they like.

Our 2.5 hour window is somewhat different. But after Heat 15 last night I was heading home at 8:27. What is stopping the riders getting out on the track for some practice. Granted an hour is not a long time but its better than nothing surely. It would also give the time to explore setups and different lines whilst not affecting results. I think the key is working with the track staff to get a track that the team are confident to attack and at the moment it simply isn't there.

Edberg riding well? Dear me. Hes been rubbish

And it is a valid enough question, the "was it because of team suits" point however, is ridiculous.

Thus far Edberg has been performing well enough, if he is to continue like he has at home and pick up away he will have more than done his job.

You could put forward a logical point that every club in the PL made a mistake by not signing Dyer, it is hardly rocket science....

Last word on the subject.

The race suits question is a valid one, gives a more professional approach and help towards attracting sponsors and the fact that someone was prepared to pay with strings attached.

I don't buy into that every club missed out on Dyer, Dyer is a Swindon asset, so with Dyer finishing with Berwick at the end of the season Berwick would have been given first chance to talk to him.

• Like 2

Last word on the subject.

The race suits question is a valid one, gives a more professional approach and help towards attracting sponsors and the fact that someone was prepared to pay with strings attached.

I don't buy into that every club missed out on Dyer, Dyer is a Swindon asset, so with Dyer finishing with Berwick at the end of the season Berwick would have been given first chance to talk to him.

And after Berwick refused him every club in the PL had the chance to speak to him, and thus missed out, on current form he would strengthen any side, thus clubs made a mistake not signing him.

The question you are suggesting be asked is, did you sign a rider because their Dad bought race suits? The answer is No, sure it's a "valid" question.

As valid as asking Somerset if they signed Doyle on the basis that Barack Obama is black, ie not valid at all...

Edited by wjm

He impressed big time for Berwick last season and there is no doubt the promotion dropped a huge clanger by not having him back and choosing Edberg instead, that is something that cannot be denied

• Like 4

Here we are experiencing - once again - the major problem with speedway.

I will get thumped for this, but I believe it to be true.

The fans.

They moan about the presentation.

It is improved.

They moan about the cost.

Admission is slashed.

They moan about the track.

It is improved.

They moan about team selections.

We get most of who people wanted (does any team get all 7 that everyone wants?)

They moan about not having a number 1.

We get one.

We moan about not winning anything.

We win the fours.

Then it is the close season.

Then the season starts.

They moan about, presentation, track, team selection, team management: probably not number 1, but heat leaders this year, losing a home meeting. If we're no way near the top of the league after a few meetings - which doesn't start until for 2 weeks yet - there will be greeting about it.

The fans make the sport feel like a miserable waste of time. They really do.

With rugby, fans talk - generally - enthusiastically about their teams. Of course there are grumbles, but they are not incessant, and utterly predictable in their nature.

That wasn't a very good meeting at all last night, but it is the first one that has been bad enough for me to be vocal about in probably the best part of a year.

The sport really isn't that bad.

The fans are atrocious and are killing the sport.

For that reason it is being strangled to death in the UK.

We'll soon be saying RIP British Speedway, unless we start turning up and supporting it properly.

I'll get pelters for this, but I'll stand by what I say, and I'm big enough to take it.

Edited by bigeddiechek
  • Like 3

[quote name=in there

To call fans atrocious who his a bit farxlp support the clubs Ibigeddiechek' timestamp=1365944435' post='2265722]

The fans.

It is improved.

Admission is slashed.

It is improved.

We get one.

We win the fours.

Then the season starts.

They moan about, presentation, track, team selection, team management: probably not number 1, but heat leaders this year, losing a home meeting. If we're no way near the top of the league after a few meetings - which doesn't start until for 2 weeks yet - there will be greeting about it.

With rugby, fans talk - generally - enthusiastically about their teams. Of course there are grumbles, but they are not incessant, and utterly predictable in their nature.

That wasn't a very good meeting at all last night, but it is the first one that has been bad enough for me to be vocal about in probably the best part of a year.

We'll soon be saying RIP British Speedway, unless we start turning up and supporting it properly.

I'll get pelters for this, but I'll stand by what I say, and I'm big enough to take it.

Fair points I

The fans.

It is improved.

Admission is slashed.

It is improved.

We get one.

We win the fours.

Then the season starts.

Without the fans there would be no sport as you know please explain why the fans are deserting the terraces,the ones that attend may moan but at least they attend,it is the missing fans that are not moaning they are making there feelings known (whatever the reason ) with their feet.You are entitled to your opinion as is anyone on this forum whether you get pelters or not :wink:

Without the fans there would be no sport as you know please explain why the fans are deserting the terraces,the ones that attend may moan but at least they attend,it is the missing fans that are not moaning they are making there feelings known (whatever the reason ) with their feet.You are entitled to your opinion as is anyone on this forum whether you get pelters or not :wink:

It bores the crap out of me, almost to the point that I think about doing Saturday afternoon rugby instead of Saturday evening speedway.

Year after year it grinds people down. It either wears off on folk and makes them the same, or it wears them down.

The fan base is dwindling to a bunch of grumpy old men going through the list of the same old complaints week in week out.

Just look through the threads on here.

It's all the same.

Anyone looking from the outside would think everyone who goes hates the sport.

It's mental.

It bores the crap out of me, almost to the point that I think about doing Saturday afternoon rugby instead of Saturday evening speedway.

Year after year it grinds people down. It either wears off on folk and makes them the same, or it wears them down.

The fan base is dwindling to a bunch of grumpy old men going through the list of the same old complaints week in week out.

It's all the same.

It's mental.

A good domestic season maybe would help?

The track needs to be prepared for entertaining speedway. I support Berwick yes but would rather see berwick get beat at home and have great racing than see a Berwick win with poor racing. Nothing wrong with the team,they were just missing the gate, with no chance of passing on a super slick track. Its such a shame,when Berwick's prepared well the racing can be very good.

It's all the same.

It's mental.

But WHY is the fan base dwindling that is the question, not the grumpy old me who bore the t*ts of you on a SAT.. :blink:

A good domestic season maybe would help?

You would like to think so, but the year we were challenging for the league was one of the worst we had for crowds in Peter's time: he told me people stopped going because we were winning so easily.

But WHY is the fan base dwindling that is the question, not the grumpy old me who bore the t*ts of you on a SAT.. :blink:

I wasn't referring to you Jim, we were having a discussion about what you just asked.

That is very different from moaning for the sake of it, or without thinking.

Even I was moaning last night: it was just an off-night for us, and a good night for the Bears.

As you walk round tracks, it's what you overwhelmingly over-hear, though.

It makes for a gloomy atmosphere. Not much smiling and jocularity going on.

The Supporters' Club guys on the 3rd bend are a breath of fresh air, getting behind the team and in a lively way.

That creates a completely different atmosphere to be around.

It'll not have escaped your attention that they were quite vocal against the team half way through the meeting as well, though :)

The fans, as a whole, are going to have to take a bit of responsibility within the sport, instead of taking any opportunity to knock it, the track, the promotion, the riders, the authorities, etc.

If the fan base carries on doing this, then they'll have to find something else to greet about on a Saturday night.

• Like 1