British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rhidassa

Kings Lynn Young Stars Vs Coventry Storm 8th May 7.30pm

I personally thought this meeting was a terrific advert not just for National League speedway, but British Speedway in general, and at the conclusion of Heat 14, there was never at any time more than four points between the two teams.

I'd have to admit on one hand that we probably did throw the meeting away, if that can be a fair way of describing the falls of both Lewis Rose and Jake Knight, But for goodness sake, they were racing their hearts out to win their side points, and yes, made mistakes, but that happens in life, at least they were trying.

Without to much doubt, the injury in Heat 3 to James Cockle cost us the match too, and there's little you can do about that.

But despite all that, lets not disrespect the efforts of Coventry, because they played an equal part in what was as good a meeting as any I've seen at the Norfolk Arena this year, with Jacobs, Branford and Sarjeant all looking class acts. Brendan Johnson had a good steady night, and for someone who is so new to this level of racing, who could fault Tommy Fenwick.

Yes, I'm a 'Young Stars' fan through and through, and think on a level playing field, we would have won last night, but we didn't, and congratulations to Coventry for seizing their opportunity. Beaten but far from disgraced, and I just can't wait for the next meeting in 2-weeks time against the Isle of Wight.

As for the attendance last night, well it was better than the 136 of the previous meeting where as Bagpuss quite rightly pointed out at the time, that people probably can't afford two meetings in a week, to which I agreed with his way of thinking. But what can be the reason for last nights still not good enough attendance, people hadn't been asked tro pay for two meetings this week!!

I can't and never will understand why the public won't turn out to give the side a viewing. There's obviously a lot of 'Stars' fans that have NEVER been to a 'Young Stars' match, as for whatever reason, they seem to have this misguided conception that it's second best............WRONG!!!

If only, if only, if only...............................Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Mike,

On a positive note it looks like you had no problems with traffic or parking!!!

I really don't know why it is but NL racing seems destined not to attract the attendances that it deserves down in north Norfolk. When it was Boston riding there, there was an excuse, but since that time the crowds have been very poor and racing has really only been made possible by the generosity of the Chapmans and the sponsors. As you pointed out there was no EL racing this week so why didn't the crowds come flocking to the NA last night?

From the updates it seemed like it was all action and without this level of racing would the likes of Kerr, Knight, Jacobs etc be making the progress that they are doing. Of course not.

Keep plugging away Mike since there are still some exciting teams to visit the Arena and you may yet see the 1000's that you expected last night.

Martin

PS Hope that James Cockle makes a speedy recovery - not what the Young Stars wanted at this stage of the season.

I don't think its a problem confined to Lynn, there are other tracks such as Poole, Newport and probably Coventry themselves this year who struggle to get decent attendances for their junior side while also running a senior team. Also worth pointing out that Ipswich on Monday and P'boro tonight give people other options within an hour or so to get their speedway fix this week. I'll be there for the IOW fixture and hopefully the prospect of seeing Adam Ellis and a potential league winning team will see a few more turn up too.

Do you think, The Chapmans could offer some sort of incentive, just as an occasional thing, to get the stay away fans through the gate, maybe the offer of a free admission to supporters who attend 4 EL meetings and retain there tickets, they can see 1 NL meeting free ? some sort incentive like that. Yes i agree they are missing out on some good racing, but getting them through the gates apart from dragging them kicking and screaming, is so difficult, kids for free definately is the way forward, but maybe with an adult.

Sounds like a good suggestion to me. With crowds as low as they are, any gamble within reason has got to be worth taking.

I don't think its a problem confined to Lynn, there are other tracks such as Poole, Newport and probably Coventry themselves this year who struggle to get decent attendances for their junior side while also running a senior team. Also worth pointing out that Ipswich on Monday and P'boro tonight give people other options within an hour or so to get their speedway fix this week. I'll be there for the IOW fixture and hopefully the prospect of seeing Adam Ellis and a potential league winning team will see a few more turn up too.

Still upright on your perch I see Bagpuss :lol:

No, it's not a problem confined to King's Lynn, but visually, the crowd levels look lower than those of any other National League circuit I visit, which is the majority of them.#

The problem is because as I've said many times before, people think National League is second best, and that just is not the case. Of course the riders are less experienced than those in what can only be loosly referred to as 'Elite' riders, but at the end of the day, they are four guys out on track racing their guts out for their respective teams, in times of fractionally slower than the Elite & Premier Leagues. In anycase, when did speed ever make a good race.

Undoubtably the Newport crowds were poor for their National League side, but so were those for the Premier League, hence them sadly no longer being.

With regards to Poole, I don't know what there crowds were like, so can't really comment. If they were not good, maybe it was because they used the name of Bournemouth, but then of course that might not have been the reason.

I'm not deliberately picking holes in your posting mate, as you have as much right to your opinion as I do to mine, but one question I must ask as a result of it is, why would in our case, a King's Lynn fan, supporter or whatever you want to call them/us, prefer to go and watch Ipswich or Peterborough when their own club is staging a meeting. Surely this is just proving my point that Joe Public are snubbing their own team, just because it's National League, and prefering to opt for a local rival side.

Surely charity and faithfullness begins at home and not with lining the pockets of your rivals............or am I being naive with my thinking?

Don't know where my spell check is, so apologies for the many mistakes I've probably made.

......Bagpuss..... I don't think its a problem confined to Lynn, there are other tracks such as Poole, Newport and probably Coventry themselves this year who struggle to get decent attendances for their junior side while also running a senior team.

Can't really judge Coventry yet as Storm have only had one match. I thought the attendance was good but there were a lot of Cradley fans there so no doubt the crowd will be less next time. I asked my friends why they hadn't gone and they said if it was £5 they would have done but weren't willing to pay £10 to watch N.L. racing. Shame as I really enjoyed the evening.

Can't really judge Coventry yet as Storm have only had one match. I thought the attendance was good but there were a lot of Cradley fans there so no doubt the crowd will be less next time. I asked my friends why they hadn't gone and they said if it was £5 they would have done but weren't willing to pay £10 to watch N.L. racing. Shame as I really enjoyed the evening.

Looks like you've probably got the same blinkered people as we have in Norfolk.

Remember the Cougars Gemini ? I stood on my own a few times to watch them , Cov folks want Elite league and nothing else , On a happier note , a work colleague of my son a total speedway virgin came to watch him last night and brought his son along as well , I was quite surprised when i spoke to him afterwards and he thought speedway was great , so did the lad , he had no idea of the level of racing he was watching so had no preconceptions , I understand it was a great meeting but I didn't see a lot of it being busy most of the time , maybe an initiative to get newbies in for national league would benefit the higher leagues eventually , because the chances of a first timer being entertained are better at this level than the other 2

• Like 1

I'm going to be brutally honest. There's probably two factors why people don't attend National League meetings at Lynn. Firstly, Lynn have never had success at NL level. Different sport but look at the backing from Norfolk people with the Norwich U-18 side in the Youth Team Cup run. There have been remarkable attendances in support of our youngsters and in turn it provided an experience most of these players will never forget. The key to this was the marketing approach with the games being constantly plugged on social networking sites and cheap ticket pricing. Season ticket holders had free entry if they applied for tickets before a certain date and for the rest of the public admission prices were £2. Both sports provide a chance for spectators to watch young talent develop but if it was a toss up between which one I would attend, I'd be at Carrow Road every day of the week. Simply because the pricing makes sense.

I used to attend Boston meetings a few years ago when they were spearheaded by a trio of Lambert, Haines and Darcy Ward. All three were massive prospects back then, and you knew from just watching Darcy for 4 laps that he was going to go far in the sport. It was a unique experience watching such a precious talent in his earliest days of development. This has been lacking ever since, no disrespect to the current Lynn NL squad, but there's no buzz around any of them potentially becoming a key rider for the senior team in the future. If Lynn showed ambition and signed an up and coming Brit, like Robert Lambert then attendances may improve and there may be some real excitement around the place in watching another prospective superstar in his development.

Edited by tastethepoison

I'm going to be brutally honest. There's probably two factors why people don't attend National League meetings at Lynn. Firstly, Lynn have never had success at NL level. Different sport but look at the backing from Norfolk people with the Norwich U-18 side in the Youth Team Cup run. There have been remarkable attendances in support of our youngsters and in turn it provided an experience most of these players will never forget. The key to this was the marketing approach with the games being constantly plugged on social networking sites and cheap ticket pricing. Season ticket holders had free entry if they applied for tickets before a certain date and for the rest of the public admission prices were £2. Both sports provide a chance for spectators to watch young talent develop but if it was a toss up between which one I would attend, I'd be at Carrow Road every day of the week. Simply because the pricing makes sense.

I used to attend Boston meetings a few years ago when they were spearheaded by a trio of Lambert, Haines and Darcy Ward. All three were massive prospects back then, and you knew from just watching Darcy for 4 laps that he was going to go far in the sport. It was a unique experience watching such a precious talent in his earliest days of development. This has been lacking ever since, no disrespect to the current Lynn NL squad, but there's no buzz around any of them potentially becoming a key rider for the senior team in the future. If Lynn showed ambition and signed an up and coming Brit, like Robert Lambert then attendances may improve and there may be some real excitement around the place in watching another prospective superstar in his development.

Very fair and as you say brutaly honest points.

With regards to an up and coming Brit at KL, or as you suggest a lack of one, I'd have to take issue with you on that one, as we have a lad named LEWIS KERR!!

But otherwise IMHO, you've made some good and interesting observations there.

• Like 1

One idea that occurred to me yesterday evening was a slight reverse of the discount incentive; perhaps announce at an EL meeting, that anyone who attends the National League Meeting on (insert date here) will be offered discounted entry to the next Elite League meeting, or a free programme... etc.

The incentive of a free program for NL on presentation of an EL ticket doesn't have appeal for those that already don't want to go. Perhaps my idea would be just the same, but maybe it would encourage a few to attend a national league meeting to get their regular meeting cheaper, or some other incentive? It may bomb out completely.. but it's just an idea.

I also feel its a shame we couldn't use a bank holiday to have an EL/NL double header - as Mimmo pointed out to me last night, EL fans stay behind to watch the development league - perhaps a double header would have similar effects?

Edit: Bagpuss, I'll see you there. If your usuals aren't going and you need a lift, let me know. Trees went with me last night, perhaps she'll make an appearance at another NL fixture!

Edited by rhidassa

i dont think a nl team works as a second team to an elite league side, places that only have nl speedway people only have that choice or nothing, dudley would not have any where near the suport if they were wolves second team

some good ideas there rhidasa. hows james cockle

• Like 1

I believe I saw Dale updated on the facebook group today:

Update on James.

He has a badly broken upper arm that will be operated on this morning. They are not sure weather it will pinned or plated yet. I will let you know more when we have news after the op. #getwellsooncockle.

Best wishes to Cockle for his op and recovery, looked nasty. I do wonder who Kings Lynn will sign as replacement - maybe that will have a factor on the gate size too.

Thanks Lorna, will do :) Agree about the prospects within the Young Stars, Lewi Kerr could and probably will go very far but for me he's probably the only one. To answer Mike I'd say people may have gone to the Foxhole on Monday as it was a glorious bank holiday and tonight sees the World Champion at the EoES. Its a fact of sporting life that people are more inclined to pay to watch better quality competitors even if the entertainment isn't that great, like at Carrow Road this season :D

Thanks Lorna, will do :) Agree about the prospects within the Young Stars, Lewi Kerr could and probably will go very far but for me he's probably the only one. To answer Mike I'd say people may have gone to the Foxhole on Monday as it was a glorious bank holiday and tonight sees the World Champion at the EoES. Its a fact of sporting life that people are more inclined to pay to watch better quality competitors even if the entertainment isn't that great, like at Carrow Road this season :D

Haha, I'm not going to discuss the latter with being a Chelsea Fan......and yes before you say it.....I'M THE ONE :approve:

• Like 1

It's almost a shame that the entry tickets don't appear to be numbered. A draw of entry tickets at each meeting with the winner perhaps winning a free ticket, or pair of free tickets, to another meeting could perhaps help - maybe the EL meeting tickets enter a draw to win a pair of entry tickets to the next NL fixture. I couldn't see that the tickets were numbered at a glance, though, so probably more hassle than it's worth to change.

Lewis Kerr has improved immensely over the last year and doubling up for Newcastle seems to have pushed him onto the next level. He is an example of the positives of the doubling-up system, and I would love it if more British riders followed suit. I hope you are right and he does make the grade, there's been too many riders, especially British riders who are happy to settle in the PL and not push themselves and their equipment to EL standard. I hope Kerr is ambitious. It's always special for a team to nurture their own talent through to the senior team.