British Speedway Forum

What a nasty horrible comment. I accept he is inconsistent but at times Harris did show he was capable of mixing it with the best.

It wasn't intended to be a nasty comment, I was simply stating that after this year, with serious injuries to some of the world's best riders, it would be nice if the reserves weren't required at all next season. I couldn't care less if Harris is 'capable of mixing it with the best', if all goes well in 2014, we won't have to test that theory, except at Cardiff where he is sure to receive another wild card.

JT.

It wasn't intended to be a nasty comment, I was simply stating that after this year, with serious injuries to some of the world's best riders, it would be nice if the reserves weren't required at all next season. I couldn't care less if Harris is 'capable of mixing it with the best', if all goes well in 2014, we won't have to test that theory, except at Cardiff where he is sure to receive another wild card.

JT.

Not sure about that. If Cook continues his improvement next year, he may be a good pick...

Lets be fair the only 2 Brits capable of mixing it a bit at Cardiff as wild cards would be Harris or Cook.

Nicholls isnt good enough now.

And please no more talk of Kennett King Bridger Barker and the like!!

Let Middlo decide. He is Team GB boss and he is good at making the right choices. maybe he could pick that good young English rider at Poole......oh whats his name?...........hmmm

Lets be fair the only 2 Brits capable of mixing it a bit at Cardiff as wild cards would be Harris or Cook.

Nicholls isnt good enough now.

And please no more talk of Kennett King Bridger Barker and the like!!

Let Middlo decide. He is Team GB boss and he is good at making the right choices. maybe he could pick that good young English rider at Poole......oh whats his name?...........hmmm

Tend to agree with your choice of Brits Gavan

I disagree with this since there is no point then in having 8 qualifiers and 4 wild cards. If they always gives two wild cards to nr 9 and 10

then why not just have top 10+Freddie Lindgren automatically qualified and one wild card? because that is how the system currently works.

Tony Olsson have also confirmed that Laguta was never asked.

Gollob used to be a top rider but as you say this year he looked quite uninterested for many GPs. So why wast a wild card on someone who can't be bothererd to "show up" for half of the rounds?

Yes I know that officially it is only the top 8 who stay in but most times the 9 & 10 usually get back in. Whether they should doesn't matter, what I said is a fact. I agree that they might just as well keep the top 10 and be done with it.

I am astounded at the vitriol poured over the riders on this thread, it's a disgrace to be honest. If any of you are brave enough to race the way these guys do, fill your boots and slag off their inclusion and criticise their ability.

I'd be happy to have 10% of the ability of these guys, who, by the way, risk their lives to entertain us each time they throw a leg over a bike.

Regarding the wild cards, feel free to extol the virtues of anyone else you care to name, including MJJ, Dudek, Jonasson, Laguta even, but a couple of decent performances on the world stage does not a GP rider make, ask Martin Vaculik. I rank none of them as my favourites, but Holder and Gollob pick themselves, AJ and Fred have been consistent performers on the world stage for some time and are worthy of their place in the series. Regarding the likes of MJJ and Jonasson, they had their chance to qualify, like others, and couldn't do so. That being so, how does it make them more deserving than the four picked? It doesn't.

Regarding Harris, why can't you get off his case? It's fair to say he hasn't been deserving of the nominations for wild cards he has had, but he hasn't bought them, he was offered them and accepted them. In his position, I suspect any of you would do the same. Likewise in the GP challenge, although in that case, many of the riders that were next in line from the semi finals supposedly declined a place to race, Harris was offered the place and took it. So what? He then finished ahead of many of the riders who have been put forward on this forum as deserving of a place in the GP, and matched Smolinski. Surely, if they can't finish ahead of Harris, supposedly so poor according to many on this forum, how can they possibly be included in the series.

You couldn't write it.

Edited by Dave the Mic
  • Like 1

Wakey wakey time for the minority of Muppets... Speedway needs to evolve, which unfortunately is not the case in British speedway at present. Riders come and go, Sky, EUROSPORT they'll come and go. The fans will stay, but what will entice us? New rules we argue about, New riders who we'll disagree over who's better, pretty much everything according to the posts on here..... Instead of arguing (sorry discussing with very different opinions) shouldn't' we all be looking at ways of making the sport we love evolve? If so.. let's bloody well do it.

I am astounded at the vitriol poured over the riders on this thread, it's a disgrace to be honest. If any of you are brave enough to race the way these guys do, fill your boots and slag off their inclusion and criticise their ability.

I'd be happy to have 10% of the ability of these guys, who, by the way, risk their lives to entertain us each time they throw a leg over a bike.

Regarding the wild cards, feel free to extol the virtues of anyone else you care to name, including MJJ, Dudek, Jonasson, Laguta even, but a couple of decent performances on the world stage does not a GP rider make, ask Martin Vaculik. I rank none of them as my favourites, but Holder and Gollob pick themselves, AJ and Fred have been consistent performers on the world stage for some time and are worthy of their place in the series. Regarding the likes of MJJ and Jonasson, they had their chance to qualify, like others, and couldn't do so. That being so, how does it make them more deserving than the four picked? It doesn't.

Regarding Harris, why can't you get off his case? It's fair to say he hasn't been deserving of the nominations for wild cards he has had, but he hasn't bought them, he was offered them and accepted them. In his position, I suspect any of you would do the same. Likewise in the GP challenge, although in that case, many of the riders that were next in line from the semi finals supposedly declined a place to race, Harris was offered the place and took it. So what? He then finished ahead of many of the riders who have been put forward on this forum as deserving of a place in the GP, and matched Smolinski. Surely, if they can't finish ahead of Harris, supposedly so poor according to many on this forum, how can they possibly be included in the series.

You couldn't write it.

Laguta, MJJ and Dudek are far more deserving than Lindgren, who rarely makes the top eight. Tai proved future World champions are likely to be the younger rising stars, not the older wildcard regulars...

How so? Laguna isn't prepared to do the qualifiers, MJJ couldn't beat the so called no hoper that is Chris Harris and Dudek didn't even compete. Tai was a completely different set of circumstances, having been in the series before and had come through some very testing times which slowed his progress. In the main, the champions have been the old guard in any case, with only Tai and Holder of the brigade winning titles, the likes of Hancock, Gollob, Pedersen and Crump having taken most of the titles in recent times. Tai has been the exception.

Of course it is unfair that Harris is the first reserve.More deserving candidates are out there and Harris is a serial failure who shouldn't have been anywhere near the meeting.

Quite possibly the spot should have gone to a German rider who should have been in the meeting instead of him.As a late replacement he cozuld have completed in the meeting basically illegaly,but his points shouldn't have counted.Sure i remember rider competing in meetings,but not being in the actual competition......

As it is if we look at the GP qualis we have

Harris (2 meetings) 4+10 which gives an average of 7

Batchelor (3 meetings) 12+3,9+2,9=10

Liglad (3) 12+3,11+3,7=10

Jonasson (3) 9,9,6=8

So all have a better average than Harris and all failed just the once.The thing is only Harris gets another chance after failing

• Like 1

You couldn't write it.

I disagree with this. Laguta, MJJ, Dudek are definitely not one hit wonders unlike Harris.

Just because you only have seen them in occasional international meetings doesn't mean that we have as well.

I've been advocating for Laguta to be given a wild card for several years since he have been a solid scorer in the leagues for many years.

I don't know why he haven't entered the qualifiers for 2014, possible he knew that he wouldn't get a visa for the Grand Prix Challenge (GPC).

He have entered the qualifiers in some previous years but at least for one of these years he had to pull out due to injury.

Patryk Dudek, Michael Jepsen Jensen and Maciej Janowski are just like Darcy Ward, World U21 champions.

They should have an equally big or possible even bigger cause to be included compared to Darcy and Tai.

Laguta, Dudek and MJJ have also been riding very well in the leagues (at least Poland and Sweden),

Also your statement that Harris beat many of them in the GPC, isn't that a bit contradictory to your claim that we shouldn't base are opions

on performances in single international meetings, but you just did with Harris when you said that he did well in the GPC.

• Like 2

How so? Laguna isn't prepared to do the qualifiers, MJJ couldn't beat the so called no hoper that is Chris Harris and Dudek didn't even compete. Tai was a completely different set of circumstances, having been in the series before and had come through some very testing times which slowed his progress. In the main, the champions have been the old guard in any case, with only Tai and Holder of the brigade winning titles, the likes of Hancock, Gollob, Pedersen and Crump having taken most of the titles in recent times. Tai has been the exception.

Not only are Dudek and MJJ U21 world champions, they are consistently scoring big points in Poland and Sweden, and improving. Its time for the lame ducks like Lindgren to make way. One meeting on a blue groove Poole track is hardly the fairest way to dismiss a young man who has already won 2 world titles and a GP...

Lol, these guys have got to get through the qualifiers I guess, it's BSI's baby, the World Championship, they pick who makes their competition viable . .

Lol, these guys have got to get through the qualifiers I guess, it's BSI's baby, the World Championship, they pick who makes their competition viable . .

........................... and there we have it in a nutshell. (sad)

........................... and there we have it in a nutshell. (sad)

Nut is right,but i don't think her name is Shell lol