British Speedway Forum

Not a huge surprise I'd suggest, as they're responsible for running the competition.

The question mark is whether established procedures were deliberately not followed in order to engineer a certain line-up in the SGP, but it's hard to imagine why the FIM or BSI would want to conspire to get Harris back in.

I'm only guessing - but possibly for a bigger Gate at Cardiff. Another Brit = more Punters through the door. As I say - possibly?

I'm only guessing - but possibly for a bigger Gate at Cardiff. Another Brit = more Punters through the door. As I say - possibly?

Thats what each GP has a wild card for. Harris would always have been at Cardiff

Thats what each GP has a wild card for. Harris would always have been at Cardiff

As I said Oldace - I was only guessing. I tried to answer Humphrey's point.

This is what happens when you have a Selection System. BSI/FIM etc. are just putting in who they wish. It's the Grand Prix - but it ain't SPORT!!

I wonder about that. There is very little that seems to go on in SGP that BSI/FIM don't seem to influence.

You are closer to things than me - but - I still wonder???

I totally agree - but this is the way Speedway seems to be going at the moment.

He's had some new 'Tats' since then - that must have done it. :wink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally - I don't agree with the way 'Bomber' got in BUT he cannot be criticised for taking an opportunity when it presented itself. The way he has been inserted in to the GP for next year is disgraceful.

We should all get behind him and give him our BEST support. It can't be pleasant if he comes on this Forum and reads some of the comments on here. The Rider has done NOTHING wrong.

The Administrators of our Sport - well - that is a totally different matter.

I would imagine those at BSI are cringing that Harris is back in. He should of done the decent thing and turned the invite down. We all know he will be woeful. I am all for the brits but not in this case as its just a joke now.

Sent: 11 December 2013 19:15:45

To: 'JT'

Hello James,

Well ist nice that someone noticed what happend.

It is a shame, but I got never asked if I want to ride in poole. No contavt from the fim the acu or anyone from poole.

I would have been ready to ride in Poole. I had bikes in the uk ready to go. I send a email to the fim but never got answer to it.

Best regards max

Does change things a bit.

Does change things a bit.

Only for those who chose to believe Phil,rather than other sources of info.Wonder what dave the mic has to say?

The thing is,we can believe this was incompetence.Which is what the germans stated.Or it was done on purpose because of the germans stance on the SEC.Either way i think Commando Armando has to take his fair share of the blame leading what is supposed to be a professional governing body

Edited by iris123

EXCUSE me, how does it contradict anything I have posted here? The FIM (not me) say they followed the usual procedure and contacted the federations of the riders concerned as and when they became eligible to ride in the Challenge. It was not up to the ACU or anyone at Poole to contact Dilger. If, as claimed, the German federation did not receive any call, email, whatever from the FIM that is a matter for them to take up in Geneva.

It does not conflict with anything I have posted on this thread. It was only when the FIM asked the ACU to provide meeting reserves (effectively on stand-by should any programmed riders not appear for whatever reason or even get injured during practice on the morning of the event) to ensure that there were 16 riders participating did Harris come into the frame and only then after other British riders had declined.

You (iris123) seem to be getting some pleasure in having digs at me of late and that's fine but try getting your facts right first.

• Like 1

You have stated that the FIM followed correct procedures have you not?

You was asked about this situation and we didn't get much of a response at first.Then all we have heard since from you is that the correct procedures were followed.This sort of information has been taken as gospel truth by people like Dave the mic and people who state otherwise are slated.Sorry if you get upset at that,but you chose to tell us this line

And further to your post.I don't get any pleasure out of the poorly handled situation and get no pleasure out of arguing the toss with you.I feel there is something dodgy and it is worth arguing about though.Sure there are people who long for the old pre internet days when we couldn't find out anything other than the "official" line

Edited by iris123
  • Like 2

Either way i think Commando Armando has to take his fair share of the blame leading what is supposed to be a professional governing body

I'd guess the administrivia is the responsibility of the FIM Secretariat which is the 'professional' arm of the organisation. That function may be somewhat removed from Armando Castagna, who may in fact have little power in this respect.

Maybe the Secretariat just had a work experience placement in that week...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

The next rider was a young German called Max Dilger.

I’d read just after the Challenge the German’s were angry they hadn’t been invited or even contacted by the FIM, but this was swept under the carpet and I haven’t heard anything since. Anyway it transpires Max has an official website where people can contact him. I fired an e-mail off out of curiosity, asking Max whether he'd been invited to the Challenge, and if so, why he turned down his place. The following is the reply I received, make of it what you will.

Sent: 11 December 2013 19:15:45

To: 'JT'

Hello James,

Well ist nice that someone noticed what happend.

It is a shame, but I got never asked if I want to ride in poole. No contavt from the fim the acu or anyone from poole.

I would have been ready to ride in Poole. I had bikes in the uk ready to go. I send a email to the fim but never got answer to it.

Best regards max

I have absolutely no affiliation with German Speedway, but even the biggest Bomber fan has got to admit this situation is unfair. A rider who put in the time, effort and expense to reach the Grand Prix Challenge and just fell short in the Semi-Final, found himself shut out, in favour of a rider who not only faltered in the first round, but also has a long history of receiving wild cards.

JT.

This have been reported before by Iris123: http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=72610&page=29&&do=findComment&comment=2336906

Edited by Ghostwalker

You have stated that the FIM followed correct procedures have you not?

You was asked about this situation and we didn't get much of a response at first.Then all we have heard since from you is that the correct procedures were followed.This sort of information has been taken as gospel truth by people like Dave the mic and people who state otherwise are slated.Sorry if you get upset at that,but you chose to tell us this line

And further to your post.I don't get any pleasure out of the poorly handled situation and get no pleasure out of arguing the toss with you.I feel there is something dodgy and it is worth arguing about though.Sure there are people who long for the old pre internet days when we couldn't find out anything other than the "official" line

YOU are doing it again ... I have no proof whether or not the FIM actually did or did not follow the correct procedures. The question was asked and the response was that they did. That was passed on to posters here. You can take their word for it or not, that's your prerogative. But they are certainly not going to reveal actual correspondence to the various federations to the likes of you and I.

If the German federation are so exercised no doubt they can legitimately request the CCP Secretary (not Armando Castagna) to attest as to who was asked, when and how.

But it doesn't change the fact that Harris, as he admits himself, was lucky to get an unexpected second bite at the cherry and he took it. And that there is no blame to attach to either Harris or for that matter the BSPA.

YOU are doing it again ... I have no proof whether or not the FIM actually did or did not follow the correct procedures. The question was asked and the response was that they did. That was passed on to posters here. You can take their word for it or not, that's your prerogative. But they are certainly not going to reveal actual correspondence to the various federations to the likes of you and I.

If the German federation are so exercised no doubt they can legitimately request the CCP Secretary (not Armando Castagna) to attest as to who was asked, when and how.

But it doesn't change the fact that Harris, as he admits himself, was lucky to get an unexpected second bite at the cherry and he took it. And that there is no blame to attach to either Harris or for that matter the BSPA.

This thread could run longer than mousetrap !

Ahh, but they also ignored the GP qualifying when picking Harris. Kennett and Nicholls were not asked before him. Not Harris' fault I agree but unfair.

YOU are doing it again ... I have no proof whether or not the FIM actually did or did not follow the correct procedures. The question was asked and the response was that they did. That was passed on to posters here.

And all i am saying is the fact it is Phil Rising posting it seems to give some weight for some posters that it must be the truth.If someone else posts a contradictory opinion,like i said they are often jumped upon.A bit unfair.And in rsality maybe as a journalist you should have asked Dilger or Buczkowski or others involved long ago?????????As someone who has been in the sport as long as you,it is obvious you will have very many friends high up in the sport and sometimes it is probably you accept a version because it won't upset your friends.It is quite possible you think this is best for the sport anyway.What will be gained from upsetting people and making the sport look bad.And maybe that is right.

As i said in a previous post,sometimes you are not right Phil.Don't take it personally if people don't just accept everything you post as gospel.I have no doubt your contribution to the sport has been far more positive than negative,but because of who you are and where you earn your money you might not always be on the side of the fans........IN My OPINION

• Like 2

And all i am saying is the fact it is Phil Rising posting it seems to give some weight for some posters that it must be the truth.If someone else posts a contradictory opinion,like i said they are often jumped upon.A bit unfair.And in rsality maybe as a journalist you should have asked Dilger or Buczkowski or others involved long ago?????????As someone who has been in the sport as long as you,it is obvious you will have very many friends high up in the sport and sometimes it is probably you accept a version because it won't upset your friends.It is quite possible you think this is best for the sport anyway.What will be gained from upsetting people and making the sport look bad.And maybe that is right.

As i said in a previous post,sometimes you are not right Phil.Don't take it personally if people don't just accept everything you post as gospel.I have no doubt your contribution to the sport has been far more positive than negative,but because of who you are and where you earn your money you might not always be on the side of the fans........IN My OPINION

I agree it's frustrating that people take the 'party line' as gospel. I think it's great fans are happy Harris has yet another season in the GP, good for them. It's the way he got there that I have a big problem with.

Telling people to 'stop whinging' and 'accept Harris is in the GP's' totally misses the point. Through favoritism (whether it's his nationality, or someone high up just really likes Chris Harris, you can't look at his history of Wild Cards and say he hasn't had preferential treatment) he found himself at the Grand Prix Challenge, ahead of more deserving candidates. We were told those higher up in the chain were asked, but simply refused their place or 'couldn't be arsed'.

Out of curiosity, I sent an e-mail to one of those riders and within two hours got an e-mail back. Hardly Woodward and Bernstein, but Max Dilger's answer does raise interesting questions about the FIM procedures. Remarking 'if the German's have a problem, they should contact Geneva' is a somewhat lackadaisical response from a journalist (see below). From my conversation with Dilger, it seems the FIM were contacted after Poole, but no response was forthcoming. But that's one side of the story, and as Phil say's, the FIM are hardly going to divulge their correspondence with us mere mortals.

In fairness to Phil, he's running a magazine (and printing programmes) for what is essentially a minority sport. Speedway is a small world and any exposé, however interesting, would likely jeopardise his business. I can't blame him for siding on the establishment, after all it's The Speedway Star, not TIME magazine! BUT that shouldn't stop us discussing the topic, which I think is quite an important one.

JT.

• Like 1