British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Oldest Surviving World Finalists

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

With the sad death of Ray Cresp,  Gote Nordin moves up to #16, with Bob Andrews as first reserve and now Reg Luckhurst at 2nd reserve-this is getting a bit too close to home. I saw Reg in his only World Final- 1965 I think.

I know what you mean, BOBBATH. I saw Reg when he was just 24 and a young up-and-coming reserve for New Cross!

P.S. Strangely enough he rode in the same 1964 West Ham team as Ray Cresp.

P.P.S. Reg "liked" a Facebook post of mine today!

Edited by norbold

I think that when Reg moved to Wimbledon in 1965- one of my mates who was a West Ham fan felt really betrayed- I think the Speedway Gods  made him move to try and balance teams in the great 1965 shake up. Always a nice bloke.

8 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I think that when Reg moved to Wimbledon in 1965- one of my mates who was a West Ham fan felt really betrayed-

We all did!

16 hours ago, norbold said:

I know what you mean, BOBBATH. I saw Reg when he was just 24 and a young up-and-coming reserve for New Cross!

P.S. Strangely enough he rode in the same 1964 West Ham team as Ray Cresp.

P.P.S. Reg "liked" a Facebook post of mine today!

All three second strings of the New Cross National League team of the 60's  (Luckhurst, McAuliffe and Gooch) actually went on to become world finalists.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 6:41 PM, BOBBATH said:

Well, I was sorry to see that Eric Boothroyd has passed away. I think the current list is now:

1. Arthur Payne       30/8/24

2.Dick Bradley        28/11/24

3.Chum Taylor         4/4/27

4. Ray Cresp           25/8/28

5 .Billy Bales           6/6/29

6.Ian Williams         4/8/31

7.Per Tage Svensson  16/10/31

8.Peo Soderman     29/10/32

9.Ove Fundin           23/5/33

10.Jim Lightfoot      11/1//33

11.Dan Forsberg       25/3/34

12.Josef Hofmeister   17/6/34

13.Brian Crutcher         23/8/34     

14.Mike Broadbank      25/9/34

15.Barry Briggs          30/12/34

16.Aage Hansen        13/4/35

First Reserve. Gote Nordin   2/7/35

Second Reserve. Bob Andrews 27/10/35

Any additions or deletionsw to this list are welcome.

What is the date of birth for Arthur Payne, I have it as 28/8/23, but here it is 30/8/24 ??? 

I'm pretty sure its August 1924- his old mate Reg Fearman agrees with 1924 and he is still in touch with Arthur. Any clarification from anybody else.

All the travel / immigration records I can find point to 1923 being correct

Not that it can be taken as gospel, but Wikipedia has it as 28/8/1923.

2 hours ago, norbold said:

Not that it can be taken as gospel, but Wikipedia has it as 28/8/1923.

As do several other online sources - including our beloved National Speedway Museum - although again, you don't know where they got the information.

Speaking of the National Speedway Museum, I notice that it is not available online. Has the site closed down?

Edited by chunky

You've convinced me- Arthur remains #1 but by a wider margin over Dick Bradley. Thanks all for taking the time and trouble on the research. So Arthur will be 100 next year.

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

You've convinced me- Arthur remains #1 but by a wider margin over Dick Bradley. Thanks all for taking the time and trouble on the research. So Arthur will be 100 next year.

In the build-up to his World Final appearances Arthur was reported in the speedway press as being born in Sydney in 1924.  Matt Jackson of the Speedway Researcher website also records his date of birth as 30th August 1924. 

Edited by BL65

What do forumlanders think we ought to do re Arthur's birthdate should there be two dates and an asterisk  next to his name in the list. I am a stickler for historical accuracy but maybe we should enter both. Maybe we should wait and see if he gets a letter from the Queen in 23 or 24????????? But maybe the Queen won't last that long!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, BL65 said:

In the build-up to his World Final appearances Arthur was reported in the speedway press as being born in Sydney in 1924.  Matt Jackson of the Speedway Researcher website also records his date of birth as 30th August 1924. 

Tom Morgan's "Who's Who in Speedway", published in 1949, also gives his birth year as 1924.

I give up-garcon bring me another martini!!!!

13 hours ago, norbold said:

Tom Morgan's "Who's Who in Speedway", published in 1949, also gives his birth year as 1924.

The Wembley World Final programmes for 1950 and 1952 gave his age as 26 and 28 respectively, with the meetings taking place after his August birthday, suggesting he was born in 1924.