British Speedway Forum
psycho3a

Premier League Fours - Peterborough 14/07/2013

From BSPA website:

BERWICK will defend the Premier League Fours title at Peterborough’s East of England Showground on Sunday July 14.

There have been several changes to the Shielfield Park side since their 2012 triumph, but recent signing Edward Kennett is available for the Fours and will take his place at the head of the Bandits’ line-up.

Some of the Premier League’s top star names also feature in the Group A line-up with Ipswich led by Ben Barker, Workington by Richard Lawson – a Peterborough rider as recently as last year – and Sheffield by Simon Stead.

Meanwhile Group B features Leicester, who have finished as runners-up in the competition in each of the last two seasons, along with Somerset who will be seeking a double following their Pairs triumph at the Oak Tree Arena last month, and Edinburgh who include man-of-the-moment Craig Cook.

GROUP A: Berwick, Ipswich, Workington, Sheffield

GROUP B: Somerset, Edinburgh, Leicester, Newcastle

group b is a tuff one,same they didn't swap the teams around a bit to even things up.

anyone know how they picked the 8 teams in it?

anyone know how they picked the 8 teams in it?

The June 2013 rolling averages, I would think. Top 4 added together. Skippy, if you're wondering why Plymouth aren't in it, Beck is not eligible because he hasn't done enough meetings as yet.

Personally, I'd like to see the return of the qualifiers (under the old 16-heat 4TT format). All 13 teams involved (5 in one group, 4 in the other two), with the group winners plus the best second qualifying for a 20-heat final. The fours meetings were always good money spinners for clubs, with three sets of away fans per meeting.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Personally, I'd like to see the return of the qualifiers (under the old 16-heat 4TT format). All 13 teams involved (5 in one group, 4 in the other two), with the group winners plus the best second qualifying for a 20-heat final. The fours meetings were always good money spinners for clubs, with three sets of away fans per meeting.

All the best

Rob

Totally agree.. is by far and away the best weekend of speedway in this country - certainly in the North... And it also brings some credibility back to the 4's which was always a superb day out - especially when it was combined with the Elite league on the same day... Of course that'll now never happen as Poland rules on Sunday and the riders would complain it's another meeting in a very hectic schedule...

Bring back the qualifiers at least... Then you may get a bigger attendance at the finals.

FWIW, I don't give my team too much hope of getting out of a very tough looking group!

• Like 1

Totally agree.. is by far and away the best weekend of speedway in this country - certainly in the North... And it also brings some credibility back to the 4's which was always a superb day out - especially when it was combined with the Elite league on the same day... Of course that'll now never happen as Poland rules on Sunday and the riders would complain it's another meeting in a very hectic schedule...

Bring back the qualifiers at least... Then you may get a bigger attendance at the finals.

FWIW, I don't give my team too much hope of getting out of a very tough looking group!

that would make to much sense, listening to what the fans want.

Berwick 30.99

Somerset 30.66

Edinburgh 29.70

Ipswich 29.56

Workington 29.42

Scunthorpe 29.27 (Ruled out because of Jorgensen's injury add Palm Toft's average they go down list)

Leicester 29.13

Newcastle 28.79

Sheffield 28.74

Redcar 28.58

Rye House 28.52

Glasgow (Because of Wright leaving) and Plymouth (Bech not riding enough meeting) wouldnt have been considered,

So it looks like Sheffield are in it due to Jorgensen's injury.

Despite my side not being involved I'll be attending to lend support to my Berwick friends. Can't see them repeating last years heoics, but should be a good day nevertheless. It's only 75 minutes drive up the A1 for us, so what the hell!

Edited by Shadders

So Bechs 2 meetings dont count, but Kennetts 3 do? Nice one!

proctors injury could also be a factor??

Exactly - Berwick topping the average table is the biggest joke ever - Kennett riding 3 meetings and is counted. Sheffield who have been crap all season are also awarded in on this crap average thing. So next season all teams need to bring in a 10pt man to be guaranteed a slot.

Absolute joke the whole thing is a farce.

Fair enough to my friends in Sheff/Berwick you are bound to be amazed your in and good luck.

Bring back the qualifiers and let the best be there by merit!

• Like 3