British Speedway Forum
Starman2006

Somerset Cases Rebels V Edinburgh 11/06

It was a tongue in cheek posting however, the reasons citied in jest may also be just reasons that need to be overcome in order for the sport to move forward and attract new support! In my opinion viewing at the OTA is poor compared to some tracks unless you brave the elements off the Bristol Channel and stand on the banking on the back straight / 3rd and 4th bends, otherwise too flat!

For the record, I'm actually planning to be at the meeting subject to a favourable weather report later!

Edited by oldswindonsupporter

It was a tongue in cheek posting however, the reasons citied in jest may also be just reasons that need to be overcome in order for the sport to move forward and attract new support! In my opinion viewing at the OTA is poor compared to some tracks unless you brave the elements off the Bristol Channel and stand on the banking on the back straight / 3rd and 4th bends, otherwise too flat!

For the record, I'm actually planning to be at the meeting subject to a favourable weather report later!

POOR, jeez, that place started as a field and a track, the improvements they have made since 2000 have been nothing short of superb, including a lovely clubhouse, and, the place STILL, has masses of potential. Tell me, how long has the Abbey Stadium been where it is??

You talk about the OTA being poor and flat as you put it, JEEZ take away the main grandstand at Blunsdon and you have so much open space where its freezing cold even in mid summer. And, that place, the OTA, knocks spots off swindons for racing.

What Somerset do need is a seated grandstand the length of the back straight with a roof on it, THEN they will have a real stadium, to knock spots of yours, and many other tracks in the country. Except ours, of course.. ;) Its called money mate, that stuff that doesn't grow on tree's. Hows that for starters..

Edited by Starman2006

Again for the record, I have not been to the Abbey for several years now, hence the "old" in the name! Agree both locations are cold unless you are sheltered from the wind, even in the height of summer! However, I'm not comparing like for like, just stating my view, regardless of the origins of the place and what they have done in that time period. I've certainly seen crap racing at both locations during my time. Hopefully that will not be the case tonight!

Edited by oldswindonsupporter

Now let me see, save myself £20 admission, no fuel costs, no food or drink costs, stay in the warm and potentially dry, no chances with the track after the rain, a far better view of the racing! How's that for starters!

Speedway is NEVER better on TV, how do you get a better view? You see all of the action all of the time being there.The sound of the bikes, the shouting of the crowd around you, the banter with the other supporters, and if you are lucky enough to live not too far away from the track, £20 every now and then is a good deal in my book.

Edited by Cliffeboy

Well, it's bright and sunny at the moment and the forecast looks ok, so get on down here oldswindonsupporter. It will only cost you a tenner tonight, not £20, so wrap up warm, bring your own food and stand on the 3rd/4th bend to enjoy a great view of some live speedway - you really can't beat it!

Now let me see, save myself £20 admission, no fuel costs, no food or drink costs, stay in the warm and potentially dry, no chances with the track after the rain, a far better view of the racing! How's that for starters!

What rubbish - it has been sunny since about 10 o'clock all day, so I'd say the track will be in very good condition.

Anyway, the covers would of been on when it was raining ;)

I wish Rosco was somewhere other than Somerset, the commentary is spoiling a good meeting.. :blink:

• Like 1

I wish Rosco was somewhere other than Somerset, the commentary is spoiling a good meeting.. :blink:

Couldnt agree more....I've turned the volume off

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more, he only just speaks English

How did Cook get away with that flyer?

Bet Rosco didn't notice it!!

I wish Rosco was somewhere other than Somerset, the commentary is spoiling a good meeting.. blink.png

I agree he makes an abysmal commentator, truly woeful. Great racing though as ever at Somerset.

Brilliant racing

Somerset's manager's inspiring - not!!

• Like 1

that ht 10 has totally blown this open! Who'd have funk it cant remember Zummerzet being so up n down at home...shellshocked but fair play to Monarchs so far particularly young Max and Tabakakaka.....biggie 15 coming up.....

Ive seen a few matches on sky at somerset and thought it was pretty good. But wow, (Edinburgh fan) quite amazing racing tonight and even for the neutral for a lower league, ive never seen so much real passing and racing.

If only some tracks would prepare them like these.

Take a bow Somerset, you have a gem of a track and those pesky elite league clubs. Take note, and stick some dirt down. Get british speedway back where it belongs.

• Like 4

Why does he keep calling Edinburgh the Monarks
  • Like 2