British Speedway Forum
speedwaysliders

Making Up The Numbers .its Getting A Joke Now!

I'm sorry but guests in speedway are way down the list of reasons why the sport is in decline.

try...

1. Poor value for money

2. Meetings strung out and taking far too long

3. Poor stadium facilities

4. Other cheaper and more attractive forms of entertainment

5. Poor racing, usually caused by poor track prep.

Have a go at getting those five right and we might have half a chance.

• Like 4

I'm sorry but guests in speedway are way down the list of reasons why the sport is in decline.

try...

1. Poor value for money

2. Meetings strung out and taking far too long

3. Poor stadium facilities

4. Other cheaper and more attractive forms of entertainment

5. Poor racing, usually caused by poor track prep.

Have a go at getting those five right and we might have half a chance.

yes those 5 are right but as an example of where it is the guest situation is swindon have to go to coventry this week with one swindon rider and 5guests and RR , what swindon fan is going to pay to watch that and for that matter what coventry fan would want to watch that and that is totaly the guest problem not the 5 you state above
  • Like 2

I remember Leicester causing outrage in the mid 70s when they turned up for a British League match with only one of their own riders (Doug Underwood, I think), so this is nothing new, but it does seem to be getting out of hand. Watching EL matches on TV this season would be a bit embarrassing if it wasn't for the fact I watch them on my own. The number of riders who are not only guesting, but doubling up, doubling down, doubling sideways has made a mockery of teams. We may as well have a list of available riders and stage a weekly auction for the promoters.

Guests will always be a part of speedway - at least until a genuine squad system is introduced - but what is depressing is the fact it now seems normal for EL teams to turn up with only four or five of their own riders.

For example, the Eastbourne v Wolves match went ahead with only nine out of 14 team places filled will full-time riders from Eagles or Wolves (seven if you take out two double-downers in the Wolves side). And that was a very long way from being the worst example.

Blazeaway is dead right that there are more fundamental problems facing the sport, but to regain credibility there has to be a tighter rein on guests and doubling up.

• Like 1

I'm not really too upset about the current situation with guests, but then I'm not a particularly partisan supporter (although I do follow Sheffield mostly).

To a large degree, I quite like to have the opportunity to see a selection of different rider's in action.

That's just my view, and I do see that it would be unpalatable to some people.

• Like 1

yes those 5 are right but as an example of where it is the guest situation is swindon have to go to coventry this week with one swindon rider and 5guests and RR , what swindon fan is going to pay to watch that and for that matter what coventry fan would want to watch that and that is totaly the guest problem not the 5 you state above

But even a squad system of 10 riders wouldnt solve this particular situation. It is close to a unique position.

I have an idea, the guest rider uses an alias, so no one knows the identity of the guest rider. The guest rider has to use a 'guest race suit', unmarked bike and gear. And has to wear a mask when his helmet is off....a sort of Speeday 'kendo Nagasaki'.

Edited by Ray Stadia
  • Like 2

I have an idea, the guest rider uses an alias, so no one knows the identity of the guest rider. The guest rider has to use a 'guest race suit', unmarked bike and gear. And has to wear a mask when his helmet is off....a sort of Speeday 'kendo Nagasaki'.

That's a good idea, perhaps he could call himself A N Other, I seem to remember Mr Other getting a lot of guest apperances in the past and nobody ever knew who he was. ;)

• Like 1

I would like guest riders to be limited to the number 1 only. Rider replacement for the other 2 heat leaders and then a squad system for the other 5 places between say a squad of 8. Throughout the season each squad member must be used a minimum of 4 or 5 times.

All squad members can double down with a PL team. Won't eliminate guests but would restrict them to just make sure the team is competitive.

Guest riders have been around for over 40 years so to use that as the excuse for I don't go anymore is being convenient. A lot of fans of many sports come and go, I used to watch a lot of football, but I don't now. There is no particular reason, I just don't enjoy it as much. I certainly don't go on a Football forum blaming it on foreign players, squad systems, etc

40 Years?

its no good rearranging the deck chairs for crying out loud...the elite league is no longer breathing by itself...we are the life support and we need volunteers to administer the last rights....going..going...

Brilliant idea!!!

After every winning race, the guest rider could do a lap of honour, and when he gets back to the tapes the starting marshal could 'clothes line' him and try to remove his helmet and mask , but he would only get as far as exposing his chin before the announcer calls '2 minutes' and 'kendo' escapes as the starting marshal is distracted; ..

Imagine the frenzy in the crowd that would create...

it'd pack 'em in I tell ya, pack 'em in...

NB - If anyone from the BSPA is reading this, I am not being serious...

(honestly, don't do this) :o

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

its no good rearranging the deck chairs for crying out loud...the elite league is no longer breathing by itself...we are the life support and we need volunteers to administer the last rights....going..going...

You are getting Aid and Assistance - from the Premier League. :t::blink:

The problem with guests is not the guest system itself, it's why its being used. The main problem they are used for these days, other than unavoidable injuries, is to cover when riders are 'validly' riding elsewhere - either in the Premier League or abroad. So the only way this is ever gonna stop being such an issue is one designated night for Elite League speedway not used by other countries. If it was one night, double uppers would only be able to come from those PL teams or don't race their home fixtures on the same night, to avoid most clashes for them.

Guests are not such a probem in the PL as the riders aren't typically riding elsewhere so much.

The answer is reduce the number of injuries, so you don't need a guest. To do this you make the tracks bigger which won't happen or make the bikes slower and less powerful. The current speedway bike is not suited to the size of tracks we have, how many injuries do you get in Long Track racing?

• Like 1

The answer is reduce the number of injuries, so you don't need a guest. To do this you make the tracks bigger which won't happen or make the bikes slower and less powerful. The current speedway bike is not suited to the size of tracks we have, how many injuries do you get in Long Track racing?

Relatively I'd guess a lot more. Longtrack takes place how often? 2 or 3 times a month? On average you get more speedway meetings in a day than that so if you're comparing the two, you have to compare a year of longtrack to about 4 weeks of speedway.