British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Berwick V Scunthorpe (6 July: Pl)

Well, to the one complainer above who thinks this meeting was boring....

Berwick Advertiser today:

BERWICK BANDITS 54, SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS 36

Anyone coming along to this Premier league clash between two current mid-table sides with the thoughts that it would be a ‘run of the mill meeting’ were sadly mistaken! This one had it all.

Ten re-runs for various reasons, tape malfunction, falls (thankfully no serious injuries) exclusions, a one rider finish in one heat and, yes, Kozza Smith back to his ebullient self, in amongst the fans after Heat 13, ‘high fiving’ his way along the rows!

This was Premier League racing at it’s most unpredictable best!

In the end the Bandits were comfortable and deserved winners but take nothing away from league champions Scunthorpe, for they contributed to an entertaining night and probably deserved more points for their efforts, looking really sharp early on.

However, the solid display of the home side (every Berwick rider won or was paid for a race win) always looked as if it would carry the Bandits to the three league points.

Pick of the home team? Smith, obviously, swash buckling his way from the back in almost all his races, just like the Kozza of 2011. Bellego, pointless in Heat 1 then producing terrific racing going unbeaten in his next four outings. Guest Lewis Kerr, nine points from four rides, an inspirational choice at reserve and this after a nasty fall in Heat 12. However, Messrs. Wethers, Aspegren, Kennett (in his last Berwick appearance) and Starke all contributed.

The Scorpions blew hot and cold at times but falls and exclusions did not help them. Most of their septet looked capable of race wins with Josh Auty showing his prowess again at number one.

The visitors had got off to a good start with an opening heat 4-2, won by Thomas Jorgensen who looked quick but Berwick hit back with a reserves race 5-1 from Kerr and Paul Starke.

Ashley Birks got himself excluded in heat three (tapes) and in the re run it looked a sure fire Aspegren win until he snapped a primary chain, high-siding him off.

Scorpions got it back level in four before we had a starting tapes malfunction in five, quickly sorted though and the scores still level at 15-15. Bandits got themselves in front in six and were to increase the lead in eight to eight points with another maximum.

Heat nine was full of incident! Both visitors (Douglas and Howe) were excluded for different falls and then a certain looking home 5-0 evaporated late on the third lap when Matty Wethers stopped. Despite his valiant efforts to push for over a lap in hot conditions he failed the time allowance. Not a happy Bandit!

Birks then got excluded in the next one for taking off team mate Palm Toft and in 11 a certain looking visiting 8-1 (Auty on a tac ride) all blew apart on the final bend with leader Jorgensen slowing too much, allowing Smith to sneak second. Lewis Blackbird was the next to get an exclusion, taking off Kerr in 12 before Smith produced the race of the night to pass Auty in 13 in terrific style.

Bandits then took the last two races 8-4 and it was over! Phew!

• Like 3

Anyone coming along to this Premier league clash between two current mid-table sides with the thoughts that it would be a ‘run of the mill meeting’ were sadly mistaken! This one had it all.

Ten re-runs for various reasons, tape malfunction, falls (thankfully no serious injuries) exclusions, a one rider finish in one heat and, yes, Kozza Smith back to his ebullient self, in amongst the fans after Heat 13, ‘high fiving’ his way along the rows!

In the end the Bandits were comfortable and deserved winners but take nothing away from league champions Scunthorpe, for they contributed to an entertaining night and probably deserved more points for their efforts, looking really sharp early on.

However, the solid display of the home side (every Berwick rider won or was paid for a race win) always looked as if it would carry the Bandits to the three league points.

Pick of the home team? Smith, obviously, swash buckling his way from the back in almost all his races, just like the Kozza of 2011. Bellego, pointless in Heat 1 then producing terrific racing going unbeaten in his next four outings. Guest Lewis Kerr, nine points from four rides, an inspirational choice at reserve and this after a nasty fall in Heat 12. However, Messrs. Wethers, Aspegren, Kennett (in his last Berwick appearance) and Starke all contributed.

The Scorpions blew hot and cold at times but falls and exclusions did not help them. Most of their septet looked capable of race wins with Josh Auty showing his prowess again at number one.

The visitors had got off to a good start with an opening heat 4-2, won by Thomas Jorgensen who looked quick but Berwick hit back with a reserves race 5-1 from Kerr and Paul Starke.

Ashley Birks got himself excluded in heat three (tapes) and in the re run it looked a sure fire Aspegren win until he snapped a primary chain, high-siding him off.

Scorpions got it back level in four before we had a starting tapes malfunction in five, quickly sorted though and the scores still level at 15-15. Bandits got themselves in front in six and were to increase the lead in eight to eight points with another maximum.

Heat nine was full of incident! Both visitors (Douglas and Howe) were excluded for different falls and then a certain looking home 5-0 evaporated late on the third lap when Matty Wethers stopped. Despite his valiant efforts to push for over a lap in hot conditions he failed the time allowance. Not a happy Bandit!

Birks then got excluded in the next one for taking off team mate Palm Toft and in 11 a certain looking visiting 8-1 (Auty on a tac ride) all blew apart on the final bend with leader Jorgensen slowing too much, allowing Smith to sneak second. Lewis Blackbird was the next to get an exclusion, taking off Kerr in 12 before Smith produced the race of the night to pass Auty in 13 in terrific style.

That is the meeting I was at.
  • Like 2

While I Personaly did not find the meeting boring,10 re-runs,tapes malfunction and numerous falls would not be seen as exciting by a lot of fans.If this had been the Sky Televised Meeting would it have been seen in the same light,I'm sure the Promotion would have been tearing their hair out wondering if they were going to make the deadline .while ALL the above mentioned things can happen at ANY meeting to report them in such a manner as adding to the excitement is dubious to say the least IMO.

Great to see Ricky coming back ,he has certainly been missed,hope he can have an injury free run for the rest of the season and has not lost his gating touch.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

Thanks for highlighting this post for,though I wouldve come across on my own.I still stand by what I said last sunday,which by the way seems so long ago,I didnt enjoy last saturdays meetings,its not a crime,its not a hanging offence,I didnt enjoy the meeting.

As everyone knows Im normally the epitome of positivity on these Berwick threads,just not quite so much on this occasion.

Anyone who was prepared to attack the track (Kozza David Josh) did not have a problem.

Just think how much more exciting it would be, if Kozza & David could attack the whole of track.

Thanks for highlighting this post for,though I wouldve come across on my own.I still stand by what I said last sunday,which by the way seems so long ago,I didnt enjoy last saturdays meetings,its not a crime,its not a hanging offence,I didnt enjoy the meeting.

As everyone knows Im normally the epitome of positivity on these Berwick threads,just not quite so much on this occasion.

So, who writes the Advertiser article, is it Keith Hamblin? He isn't usually a drum-thumper, but that match report just didn't describe the same meeting as your post.

I agree you don't have to like something, my point being that in this instance you might well be in the minority.

I agree you don't have to like something, my point being that in this instance you might well be in the minority.

I normally am and it suits me just fine. :D

Thankfully, perhaps assisted by the foam fence, everyone walked back to the pits after their accidents.

I think the foam fence saved several nasty injuries on Saturday: and a heck of lot since it was installed.

I'm going to stick my head up here and say the track certainly didn't look as safe as the fence on Saturday.

I don't know why, but there were a lot of riders seemingly losing control. It's unusual as our track is considered one of the safest to ride.

Isn't what he said to me

The thing is, Taffy, you only hear what you want to, not necessarily what is said to you.

I dont think the track is far away from being good, the problem is the outside is too loose and too deep.

That seems to make sense.

Thats 3 out of 14 riders. ;)

So it was 11 riders that you didn't approve of at the weekend. Fair enough.

It was certainly an eventful meeting. Not a classic, but still one of the better ones, and a great result.

David weaving pass of 2 riders in one straight was pure class!

I normally am and it suits me just fine. :D

We can count the dissenters on here on one hand, thankfully.

Some of those smashes we have seen at berwick. Im glad we have a fence. Im not really a fan of the clubs vision... That said the fence was a worthwhile purchase most importantly for the riders

Some of those smashes we have seen at berwick. Im glad we have a fence. Im not really a fan of the clubs vision... That said the fence was a worthwhile purchase most importantly for the riders

I don't think you and a few others on here are a fan of the club, full stop.

• Like 2

I don't think you and a few others on here are a fan of the club, full stop.

There are about four or five on here regularly who come into the same bracket, moan, mutter, witter, send them to Coventry plenty company here!!
  • Like 1

There are about four or five on here regularly who come into the same bracket, moan, mutter, witter, send them to Coventry plenty company here!!

Or Ipswich to join Aljack or Leicester to join Robert72

• Like 1

So, who writes the Advertiser article, is it Keith Hamblin? He isn't usually a drum-thumper, but that match report just didn't describe the same meeting as your post.

Mr Hamblin didnt write the report in post61,Berwick promoter Dennis McCleary wrote the report.

Mr Hamblin didnt write the report in post61,Berwick promoter Dennis McCleary wrote the report.

And in my opinion, a pretty accurate reflection on a entertaining meeting

• Like 2