British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

Safest Tracks And Others

With the accident of World Champion Chris Holder, what would people on this forum regard as the safest track and also which are some that are a bit dodgy. I know a lot of people said some of the older fences like the wooden one at Ipswich were better than some of the air fences around stadiums today. Rye House regard their wire fence better than an air fence. Some air fences are dangerous if a rider goes underneath and hits a solid support post

Glasgow = Safe

Edinburgh = Well dodgy.

Statistics speak for themselves.

If I had to ride straight into a fence on a speedway track I'm going to Rye House to do it. Probably Wolves after that.

If I had to ride straight into a fence on a speedway track I'm going to Rye House to do it. Probably Wolves after that.

Me to,Rye house best fence I've ever been through, with a nice piece of grass to lay on as well.

• Like 3

I have witnessed two fatalities and neither rider hit the fence at all.

In my years of watching it's riders falling and being hit by another rider that seem the worst.

Rye House, the safest track? Pah! I remember coming away from there black and blue after wrestling with a load of kids trying to grab Uncle Len's lucky two pound coin...

• Like 3

It's not so much the fence itself which makes the track safe or not, but the likelihood of going into the fence in the first place.

Having stood on the second bend at Workington, it looks scarily tight to me, and I'd say if 4 riders were going in there together, one of them is going into the fence.

A bigger, wider, open track such as Sheffield, or Peterborough makes this scenario less likely, I think.

I once read an article, many years ago, that the most serious injury happening to a rider if he hits a safety fence is going into it head first.

I also read that the primary reason for safety fences is not in regard to riders but to stop them running into spectators! That of course is debateable - and I am sure that it will be on here!

You can have a very safe track,but you cannot cover all eventualities.Each accident is usually a combination of circumstances which are always changing,so to allow for every possible scenario is impossible.All that can be done is try to make it as safe as possible and remember speedway is a dangerous sport and accidents happen and hope that the chain of events doesn't end like it did with Chris. Get well soon

• Like 2

You can have a very safe track,but you cannot cover all eventualities.Each accident is usually a combination of circumstances which are always changing,so to allow for every possible scenario is impossible.All that can be done is try to make it as safe as possible and remember speedway is a dangerous sport and accidents happen and hope that the chain of events doesn't end like it did with Chris. Get well soon

Have to agree.

Some of the worst crashes i have seen at sheffield have been on the straights, loram cartwheeling down it in the world cup for instance.

and as for our fence being safe, ask paul cooper who hit the third bend fence at high speed thanks to vissing, and managed to walk away

Edited by The Third Man

Sometime the fences don't keep them on the track, I remember Woofy going over the fence on the back straight at Perry Barr in his Rye House days, Rye left with about 3 riders that night.

During my time at Lakeside, injuries have thankfully been a rarity; particularly over the past few seasons if I'm honest.

Just an observation from the other night at Perry Barr. The floodlight posts look decidedly close to the safety fence - and don't have any tyres around them. The wire safety fences along the straights look quite low. I dread to think of the outcome should a freak accident happen (as they often do in the sport) and a rider got catapulted over the top.

Unfortunately, despite my biased opinion of Hackney being the best racing trick in the history of British Speedway, we had a few fatalities; and quite a few bad injuries were sustained over the years. But my memories do go back to the 70's and 80's - when safety standards were not deemed as important as in the current era.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason