British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Wimbledon Stadium: Some Important News

I quite agree Michaelcroucher. What are the speedway people doing? Nought. Nil! That's what. I posted earlier on this thread about the wimbledon supporters, what they are doing about it, they have had no meeting or function to gage interest, I feel wimbledon speedway supporters like I mentioned in the earlier post are no where near as passionate as some ( cradley heath supporters). The Wimbledon speedway supporters have no leader or supporters club actively running. It was mentioned in the local guardian paper along with stock cars, that was from talking to one of the former riders. Who actively spoke to the paper in support for the speedway, where is the supporters club? Shouldn't they be talking to the local paper, because there is no speedway promotion anymore they are long gone.

• Like 1

Out of interest, the following news item appeared on Sky Sports News yesterday (Saturday):

Wimbledon Stadium: Where AFC Wimbledon want to move to

AFC Wimbledon's attempts to return to their former home have been met by fierce resistance.

The League Two club want to return to Plough Lane on the site of Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium.

They have the backing of the current landlords, but campaigners hope to win support from the mayor of London in their fight to what is arguably the capital's only remaining dog track.

"They're actually campaigning and putting leaflets around saying 'we're coming home', and surely that presumption is mere arrogance, pure and pure arrogance on their part," said We Want Wimbledon campaigner Diane McLean.

"The greyhound folk have had enough," added McLean. "They are the predator and we're not, we are the innocent bystanders."

Attendances have been dropping at Wimbledon in recent years but McLean says the stadium has been deliberately neglected and is adamant plans for a £60m development labelled the 'Royal Ascot of Greyhound Racing' are viable.

"The mayor in several public documents has said that he would like to see greyhound racing retained here in London in the capital as long as it's viable.

"We have viable plans and business plans and the Irish businessman Pascal Taggart has provided those to both Merton council and to the mayor's office."

AFC Wimbledon have said in a statement that it has always been the club's "primary objective to return home to the London Borough of Merton".

"A detailed study shows that this is the only practical site for AFC Wimbledon to build a new stadium and grow our community-based work."

On Monday campaigners are planning a 'Show of Passion' when owners and their dogs will show their support of the track at London's City Hall.

No mention of Speedway!!

Edited by Skidder1

No mention of Speedway!!

Why would there be? It's Speedway's tried and tested "Wait and see... Whoops! Too late" policy.

• Like 1

It's all very well saying nobody or no group are instigating support for speedway at Wimbledon,the hard facts are that both RCP/Galliard and Mr.Taggart are both heavyweight contenders for the spoils and it is almost fantasy to imagine that anyone in speedway circles could live with them financially.If Mr.Taggart can pull off a victory ,then that would be the time we might have a whisker of a chance.

Wimbledon AFC will be there within a few years and their plan to redevelop will see the end of any oval sport for sure.

Can't see there being any alternative when you are dealing with a football club which generates millions

I will be honest what I cant understand is why cant there be Greyhound, as well as Speedway. There use to be. Im not saying that there should only be speedway because that would be stupid as this would not make enough money to make it work, but having more than 1 sport might help. By having this then the area could have housing, Greyhounds and Speedway. Everybody wins, but I know its not so easy as that. I use to go to Wimbledon speedway in late 70s as a child and the 80s. It use to work so why cant it go back the way it was. If Greyhounds are not making the money then surely they would be interested in a plan. We have all got to work at this and I believe that it might help. As a speedway fan then by getting onto everyone somewhere down the lane someone might listen and help to get speedway back at Wimbledon. Im know that lots of people have said it will never happen but how do we know that if nothing gets done. If we do nothing then nothing will happen. Its all ok to talk about this on the forum but have anyone tried to talk to any of the parties as well as the London Mayor. It would be also nice / good to see what plans have been made to Merton council in a view of a Greyhound and a Football stadium as well as houses. By seeing what they are trying to do will make the picture a lot better.

I will be honest what I cant understand is why cant there be Greyhound, as well as Speedway. There use to be. Im not saying that there should only be speedway because that would be stupid as this would not make enough money to make it work, but having more than 1 sport might help. By having this then the area could have housing, Greyhounds and Speedway. Everybody wins, but I know its not so easy as that. I use to go to Wimbledon speedway in late 70s as a child and the 80s. It use to work so why cant it go back the way it was. If Greyhounds are not making the money then surely they would be interested in a plan. We have all got to work at this and I believe that it might help. As a speedway fan then by getting onto everyone somewhere down the lane someone might listen and help to get speedway back at Wimbledon. Im know that lots of people have said it will never happen but how do we know that if nothing gets done. If we do nothing then nothing will happen. Its all ok to talk about this on the forum but have anyone tried to talk to any of the parties as well as the London Mayor. It would be also nice / good to see what plans have been made to Merton council in a view of a Greyhound and a Football stadium as well as houses. By seeing what they are trying to do will make the picture a lot better.

Michael i have to wonder if you have learning difficulties. Arthur cross has explained over and over but you still keep coming back with the same stuff

Put simply speedway isnt excluded from anything. If speedway offered an instant solution to finding £50 million then the gra/galiards and the irish banks would embrace it, if speedway could offer the council the potential £1 million pounds per annum that 400 - 500 houses then bet your bottom dollar they would be right behind it. As for supporters groups trying to do someting. Without the werewithal to actually make it happen then its toaltally pointless. Please read what is being posted and accept that, as things stand, there is zero possibility of speedway at plough lane

Edited by Oldace

ok i give up. This forum never seems to amaze me. I do get it and it is all about money but is it. I might go on but at least i keep up the spirt. In the last few months i have heared that it will never happen becuase of money or i dont get it. Well i dont get it becuase if i see something to fight for then i will say what i think. if people dont think it is going to work then whats the point writing on here. Good luck to WImbledon Greyhounds and AFC they deserve it.

ok i give up. This forum never seems to amaze me. I do get it and it is all about money but is it. I might go on but at least i keep up the spirt. In the last few months i have heared that it will never happen becuase of money or i dont get it. Well i dont get it becuase if i see something to fight for then i will say what i think. if people dont think it is going to work then whats the point writing on here. Good luck to WImbledon Greyhounds and AFC they deserve it.

We would all like to see sppedway in wimbledon michael but it simply cant happen. The site now has to generate a massive amount of money in the minimul amount of time and, no matter what, speedway cant be in any way part of that.

It was always the likely outcome from the moment rcp bought the gra. Zero investment and maximum profit in the short term before disposing for acquick profit is the rcp model. I suspect the plan was always to dispose of wimbledon cowley and belle vue but this is proving problematic and they are saddled wigh enormous debt on a business that can never hope to make inroads into paying it off

I don't think anyone has actually given up, but we do have to look at the reality. Maybe just worth recapping on some of the things that have happened:

Once Mr Taggarts plans were initially known Ian Perkin made contact with Mr Taggart's team to investigate if speedway could form part of the plans. As I understand it, at the time, Mr Taggart was open to the idea and advised Ian that, if Mr Taggart's plans were accepted, Ian should submit a proposal / plan to him.

We were all asked to e-mail the Mayor of London and the Leader of Merton Council to set out our support - and to copy both Ian and Diane McLean (part of Mr Taggart's team) so that they could also judge interest. At that early stage I don't recall Mr Taggart's plan including housing, or so much housing, and that the original drawings seemed to show an oval race track with scope for a figure of 8 - indicating that speedway / stock cars might feature. I e-mailed as requested and got a reply from Diane which didn't discount speedway's involvement should Mr Taggart be sucessful.

However, as Arthur Cross in particular has so eloquently set out, the financial reality of the situation may explain why Mr Taggart is emphasising why housing provision will play a significant part in his plans. The recent news paper piece in which Mr Taggart has mentioned that local residents are not in favour of retaining stock cars might also explain why the latest drawings now omit the race track. As speedway knows to it's cost housing and motor sport do not make popular neighbours. I'm not sure that I see that article as positive for speedway (other than if stock cars do not exist then speedway is not competing with it). The 'Show of Passion' organised does not seek to include anyone other than the greyhound community, and to me that would seem to indicate a lessening of interest for including any other sport. I like others have posted on the 'We want Wimbledon Facebook' site, but have not had any response.

And so, in summary, I would say:

The previous speedway management has had discussions with Mr Taggart

There is an active Wimbledon Speedway group on Facebook which does indicate interest

No one from the speedway community has, or is likely to, come forward with an option which puts speedway first - the economics as Arthur Cross has set out simply do not make this feasible

If AFC Wimbledon get planning permission there is no possibility for speedway

If Mr Taggart gets planning permission (and the current owners wish to sell to him) there is a slim chance, but no more than that.

• Like 1

In summary, I would say:

The previous speedway management has had discussions with Mr Taggart

There is an active Wimbledon Speedway group on Facebook which does indicate interest

No one from the speedway community has, or is likely to, come forward with an option which puts speedway first - the economics as Arthur Cross has set out simply do not make this feasible

If AFC Wimbledon get planning permission there is no possibility for speedway

If Mr Taggart gets planning permission (and the current owners wish to sell to him) there is a slim chance, but no more than that.

A very fair summary to which I would only add that Paschal Taggart himself has given the impression of a beaten man since mid-autumn only for Diane McLean's leadership of the We Want Wimbledon campaign to rally the greyhound industry towards this afternoon's "Show of Passion", pretty much forcing Mr Taggart to remain a increasingly reluctant figurehead when he probably knows his economic view of the saga tramples all over any defiant enthusiasm from the rank-and-file members of that sport.

I still think it's hugely underestimated (or conveniently ignored) by the British greyhound industry that Mr Taggart didn't have to compete against football in Dublin chasing the Shelbourne Park site when he revamped that to continue its greyhound racing because just 5 minutes' walk away the much bigger Landsdowne Road site was already long overdue for its own revamp into the Aviva Stadium.

• Like 1

You talk about fight and spirit, but what, in practical terms, do you suggest doing?

A number of us on here have laid out in painstaking detail the economic realities of the situation but you continue to resist such views without coming up with a practical alternative.

To say this forum "amazes" you is a bit strange in terms of this thread. With the exception of your posts, it is one of the best thought out and informative on the whole site (IMO).

Edited by salty
  • Like 2

When I wrote my post a few hours ago reckoning Paschal Taggart was an "increasingly reluctant figurehead" for the British greyhound industry, I didn't know (or expect) what appears a rather tame excuse for him not attending this afternoon's "Show of Passion" but here's the Racing Post's preview of today's gathering ... by the way, the GBGB is the Greyhound Board of Great Britain and the initials TD are the Irish equivalent of a Member of Parliament.

City Hall "will be a real celebration" - by Jonathan Kay

Hundreds of greyhound enthusiasts will today descend on London's City Hall (1.30 for 2.00pm) for the much-vaunted Show Of Passion intended to reinforce to Mayor Boris Johnson that the sport is alive and well and any redevelopment of the facilities at the current dilapidated Wimbledon Stadium would be viable.

Johnson has expressed a wish that "ideally" the redevelopment will include provision for greyhound racing but Irish businessman Paschal Taggart, who is leading a consortium with ambitious plans for a world-class greyhound facility, faces opposition from current site landlords Galliard Homes / Risk Capital who are proposing a far bigger housing development along with the carrot of a new stadium for AFC Wimbledon.

Taggart will not be present today as he wishes the occasion to be about the enthusiasm for greyhound racing in London rather than him and his specific plan although other members of the consortium are expected to attend along with high-profile figures from both the UK and Ireland including the GBGB.

Centrepiece of the day will be the formal handing over by Ray Butler TD of a letter highlighting the importance of greyhound racing to the Irish economy which is significant as Ireland's National Asset Management Agency (Nama) effectively owns the Wimbledon site as a result of loans made to Galliard/Risk.

We Want Wimbledon campaigner Diane McLean said yesterday: "We want the Show Of Passion to be a real celebration of greyhound racing and stress again that we are supporting the Mayor who has consistently stated that he sees it as a vital part of London's cultural heritage.

"The indications are that the weather should be decent and, if the pledges of support come through, it should be a fantastic occasion showing what greyhound racing means to so many people," she added.

"I really think we are starting to get our message across and not just in greyhound circles. We are talking about 86 years of history at Wimbledon Stadium and it is arrogant in the extreme for AFC and their cheerleaders to think they have some sort of entitlement to the site - remember that Galliard would not be engaging with them at all if "sporting intensification" wasn't a planning requirement.

"It's a sham marriage of convenience and, should they somehow pull the wool over planners' eyes, one that could easily end in a messy divorce as the last thing Galliard actually want is to have to build a football stadium."

Report of yesterday's "Show of Passion"

http://www.racingpost.com/news/greyhounds/industry-turns-out-to-support-mayor-of-london/1608106/top/

and a rather more upbeat article from last week (as far as Greyhounds is concerned that is)

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/greyhounds/jonathan-kay/momentum-looks-to-have-been-turned-our-way/1606997/

Report of yesterday's "Show of Passion"

http://www.racingpost.com/news/greyhounds/industry-turns-out-to-support-mayor-of-london/1608106/top/

and a rather more upbeat article from last week (as far as Greyhounds is concerned that is)

http://www.racingpost.com/blog/greyhounds/jonathan-kay/momentum-looks-to-have-been-turned-our-way/1606997/

An excellent turnout. Let's hope that they are successful in their efforts. :t::approve: