British Speedway Forum

so in 1982 my team - belle vue - won the bl . a number of their away wins came only as a result of using tactical rides after falling behind early.

Without these "contrived" results it is quite possible that they may not have been champions.

Was everyone similarly outraged, did everyone think this was a farce? when people went home after seeing their team win 40-38 away after using a heat 8 double tac sub to get an 8 pts swing did they go away feeling it was a hollow victory? i don't recall any such outcry

(ps. i am actually in the camp that feels in sic there should be a reserve but no other tac subs, and there should b no joker or (my preference) any side which hadn't used it prior should b able to use in heat 20)

Belle Vue won the league in 1982 simply because Bruce Penhall walked out on Cradley.

As regards saying they won many away matches using tac sub, that was the norm then. If you recall, it was using the speedway method of scoring - 3, 2, 1, 0 - and didn't call for a take-two-throws kinda move that the Golden Double/Joker provides. I don't remember as many races being thrown back then as I can recall in Golden Double Joke races.

You can't suddenly alter a scoring method during a match when sufficient points arrears allow. Next they'll be playing circus music when a Joker or whatever is introduced.

Back in the days of the old TS, when your team fought back from a 6-points down using the rule, it felt like a deserved victory. I can't imagine even the Poles regard themselves as the better team, now the celebrations have wound down.

Edited by moxey63

Poland were the better team, when milik fell bjerre was last, he won the re-run, if milik didnt fall bjerre would be third at best with dudek winning, thats a 4 point turnaround lucky for bjerre unlucky for dudek and poland wouldnt have used the joker and kasprzak would have been third in his race instead of feigning a breakdown. Poland were the better team and deserved champs

so in 1982 my team - belle vue - won the bl . a number of their away wins came only as a result of using tactical rides after falling behind early.

Without these "contrived" results it is quite possible that they may not have been champions.

Was everyone similarly outraged, did everyone think this was a farce? when people went home after seeing their team win 40-38 away after using a heat 8 double tac sub to get an 8 pts swing did they go away feeling it was a hollow victory? i don't recall any such outcry

(ps. i am actually in the camp that feels in sic there should be a reserve but no other tac subs, and there should b no joker or (my preference) any side which hadn't used it prior should b able to use in heat 20)

In the tac sub days you were not gifted 3 EXTRA points for winning.You still could only score a 5-1.

In the tac sub days you were not gifted 3 EXTRA points for winning.You still could only score a 5-1.

no, but you could get an 8 point swing in a single race from using a tac sub, as opposed to a max 6 point swing using a tactics joker. so it gave the trailing team a greater advantage, although admittedly you couldn't level the scores in a single heat.

Poland were the better team, when milik fell bjerre was last, he won the re-run, if milik didnt fall bjerre would be third at best with dudek winning, thats a 4 point turnaround lucky for bjerre unlucky for dudek and poland wouldnt have used the joker and kasprzak would have been third in his race instead of feigning a breakdown. Poland were the better team and deserved champs

There is worrying news tonight that some fans are still defending the current use of Golden Doubles and Joker points in the professional sport of speedway racing.

Not since Comical Allie's denials in the last Iraq war have I laughed so much.

There are also some, boasting that Poland were the best team, even though they used a Joker ploy to leapfrog over Denmark's honest attempt to make a strong dash to the line. Some witnesses say Poland's tactics were like a game of tiddly-winks, when your opponent dashes off for a piddle and you sneekily move your counter up a few places while he's away.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 2

Sorry don t agree with forever blue Poland were not the best side

There seems to be people on here demeaning polands. achievement just because they used the rules to their advantage which denmark would have done had they been in the same position. While you may not agree with the joker rule it creates excitement just as a tac rule does in normal league racing.

Edited by foreverblue

There seems to be people on here demeaning polands. achievement just because they used the rules to their advantage which denmark would have done had they been in the same position. While you may not agree with the joker rule it creates excitement just as a tac rule does in normal league racing.

WRONG!!!

People are complaining about the Rule/Regulation and the ability of ANY TEAM to win by GIFTED Points. I am not complaining about Poland per sé I would feel exactly the same were it England, Australia, America or anyone else.

Basically it is a FIDDLE, an Official way of CHEATING. As it is sanctioned by the FIM, SCB and BSPA etc. then that is all it can be.

Keeping Teams ARTIFICIALLY close is totally wrong and against all the Rules of SPORT that I was brought up with.

• Like 1

no, but you could get an 8 point swing in a single race from using a tac sub, as opposed to a max 6 point swing using a tactics joker. so it gave the trailing team a greater advantage, although admittedly you couldn't level the scores in a single heat.

Sorry I am talking in league racing in Britain in the old days ,I don't understand your 8point swing in a single Race comment.

WRONG!!!

People are complaining about the Rule/Regulation and the ability of ANY TEAM to win by GIFTED Points. I am not complaining about Poland per sé I would feel exactly the same were it England, Australia, America or anyone else.

Basically it is a FIDDLE, an Official way of CHEATING. As it is sanctioned by the FIM, SCB and BSPA etc. then that is all it can be.

Keeping Teams ARTIFICIALLY close is totally wrong and against all the Rules of SPORT that I was brought up with.

That as may be but I cant see them changing the rule anytime soon, its keeps teams close and the paying public interest is kept for longer and it is good for tv.

The rule makers are the ones that have put us in this place.

To argue against the joker is now seen as arguing against Poland's win.

A real shame.

But the annual week-long festival is over for another year, or more.

Every year we go over and over the Joker issue ... And no one listens.

Every year we go over and over the Middleditch issue .... And no one listens.

It's now back to he leagues and all those contentious issues

Where no one listens.

In between we watch a bit of speedway.

• Like 2

I think the Danish Team Manger should be sacked for failing to tell Bjerre the points situation.I it had been Team GB in this situation the usual suspects would have been calling for Middlo's head.

Sorry I am talking in league racing in Britain in the old days ,I don't understand your 8point swing in a single Race comment.

In the old tac sub rule you could replace both poor performing riders a a race with a double tac sub.

Thereby changing an almost certain 1-5 into a 5-1.

That is an eight point swing.

Sorry for jumping the gun on adding the answer.

Edited by Grand Central