British Speedway Forum

Its the experience on big tracks thats the main problem. Hopefully the national stadium in Manchester will help solve the problem. If it was on a track 300m or less and Britain would perform better id say.

At last a voice of reason, hold event 2 at wolverhampton & we can be in the final every year!!

Have often wondered how Middlo qualified as GB Team Manager (he doesn't)..

Surely he is just a B&B for Poole Speedway..

Or like Morris, the Quiz Show Contestant!! :wink:

Edited by Skidder1

Or like Morris, the Quiz Show Contestant!! :wink:

Are the rumours true that Daphne from Eggheads is being offered the job for next year?

• Like 1

One thing that does concern me is most of the riders that struggle are the riders that double up. Cook, Barker, Wells etc are not getting the experience on foreign tracks as much and this shows up in big events like this.

That is a good point. Cook, Worrall, and Barker are not even close to the top 20 averages in this country and people are telling them (well Worrall and Cook anyway) that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and are the future of British Speedway. Cook, at least seems to believe it judging by the way he threw his toys out of the pram on being dropped.

This is part of the problem with British Speedway. Riders are not encouraged to develop a hunger for success. As Sam Ermolenko said, they get too used to home comforts instead of standing on there own two feet. Doubling up in the PL is not the answer. Barker said two years ago that sometimes you have to take a step back before you can take two steps forward, but after two years doubling up how much further forward is he ?

The harsh truth is that in modern speedway continental experience seems to be crucial and only those who take serious steps to gain extensive experience abroad will succeed on the world stage. Lewis Bridger has this season taken basic steps to get on the first rung of the ladder in Poland and Denmark, and already it is starting to show in his riding. Admittedly he still has a long way to go before he becomes genuine world class but at least he has got himself on first step of the right road. However much talent the others may or may not have, doubling up in the PL is unlikely to turn them into genuine candidates for Team GB. Whoever is GB team manager in future should make it clear that preference will be given to those with good continental experience.

If riders want to earn a comfortable living doubling up in PL racing I wouldn't blame them or criticise them but if they have ambitions to ride for their country at the top level then there has to be some commitment on their part.

• Like 5

That is a good point. Cook, Worrall, and Barker are not even close to the top 20 averages in this country and people are telling them (well Worrall and Cook anyway) that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and are the future of British Speedway. Cook, at least seems to believe it judging by the way he threw his toys out of the pram on being dropped.

This is part of the problem with British Speedway. Riders are not encouraged to develop a hunger for success. As Sam Ermolenko said, they get too used to home comforts instead of standing on there own two feet. Doubling up in the PL is not the answer. Barker said two years ago that sometimes you have to take a step back before you can take two steps forward, but after two years doubling up how much further forward is he ?

The harsh truth is that in modern speedway continental experience seems to be crucial and only those who take serious steps to gain extensive experience abroad will succeed on the world stage. Lewis Bridger has this season taken basic steps to get on the first rung of the ladder in Poland and Denmark, and already it is starting to show in his riding. Admittedly he still has a long way to go before he becomes genuine world class but at least he has got himself on first step of the right road. However much talent the others may or may not have, doubling up in the PL is unlikely to turn them into genuine candidates for Team GB. Whoever is GB team manager in future should make it clear that preference will be given to those with good continental experience.

If riders want to earn a comfortable living doubling up in PL racing I wouldn't blame them or criticise them but if they have ambitions to ride for their country at the top level then there has to be some commitment on their part.

Very good post..

• Like 1

What do you think if Elite League teams could only have three foreign riders and the rest had to be born in Britian.

Nail on head in my view.

I've been banging on for years about the need to soak up as much continental experience as possible.

I recall Eddie Kennett in his Rye House years, at the very start of his career, missing a trip to ride in the fledgling Under 21 World Team Cup so that he could ride at Rye on the Saturday night. Fast forward to this season and Jason Garrity had already announced his withdrawal from the race for the Under 21 crown prior to his unfortunate injury.

We have never truly embraced the various European Championships or the World Under 21 team competitions, so hardly surprising our senior riders struggle on foreign soil.

Peter Oakes tried manfully to change the status quo, but got disillusioned by the lack support from above as did Rob Lyon more recently.

Unfortunately the short term thinking at the top of the sport has meant little money has been invested in a long term fix.

• Like 2

Because he's a soft touch? Easy to manipulate? Easy to ignore? Do you really think that Middlo was able to do anything for Crumpy?

Plus he was hardly likely to say, "Middlo is a tool with the tactical noose of a dog turd and the talent spotting abilities of a blind death and dumb Eskimo" is he?

It's all well and good that all these riders want to ride for Middlo but do what if he always fails Bd under achieved?! I'd prefer a manager that no rider wants to ride for but gets the best out of his riders.

I love to go see you say that to his face... As for your bottom quote, that proves you have no idea. Quote, id prefere a manager that NO RIDER wants to ride for but gets the best out of his riders.. Ha Ha,,, what riders!!! :rofl: Riders like Crumpie Darcy and Chris know their jobs, they don't need to be told what to do, but if they go to Neil he will advise as best as posible. But then again, like all the managers on here, you know better don't you,,,, Not..

I love to go see you say that to his face... As for your bottom quote, that proves you have no idea. Quote, id prefere a manager that NO RIDER wants to ride for but gets the best out of his riders.. Ha Ha,,, what riders!!! :rofl: Riders like Crumpie Darcy and Chris know their jobs, they don't need to be told what to do, but if they go to Neil he will advise as best as posible. But then again, like all the managers on here, you know better don't you,,,, Not..

So you'd prefer a cosy character who doesn't get the best out of his riders then? It's pointed out to you regularly that Middlo has no track record of improving riders, or even getting the best of them, whatsoever. I suggest you get your head out of Middlo's backside as he must be finding sitting down tricky.
  • Like 1

Any of you on a certain facebook page will be able to read what Middlo has said he thinks and what he feels is the way forward.................and I have to say that I like his way of thinking..............

RP

What do you think if Elite League teams could only have three foreign riders and the rest had to be born in Britian.

Make a right mess of the team building policy at Poole :)

Niamh

So you'd prefer a cosy character who doesn't get the best out of his riders then? It's pointed out to you regularly that Middlo has no track record of improving riders, or even getting the best of them, whatsoever. I suggest you get your head out of Middlo's backside as he must be finding sitting down tricky.

Absolute Garbage 4 league titles 3 runners up several K O winners Trophies and league cup and several others tells me you are way wrong.

Absolute Garbage 4 league titles 3 runners up several K O winners Trophies and league cup and several others tells me you are way wrong.

Rosco and all the other managers would love a top 2 of Holder and Ward using Matt Fords money. it cant be that hard to build a team around those 2 can it!! but look at the awful team he put together this year. The only reason Poole are were they are is because Ward got injured and the side could be strenghened!! Middlo isnt fit to lace the shoes of someone like Pete Adams.

if you think Middlo is good at getting a team gb team to gel and bring through youngstres and get the best out of the boys then my word you are far off the mark.

let him mange poole with the aussies and poles it suits him

• Like 1

What has that got to do with him? Does he sign the riders? He didn't even know who Dennis Andersson was.

What has that got to do with him? Does he sign the riders? He didn't even know who Dennis Andersson was.

No but he has to work with them, if they didn't want to ride for him we wouldn't have won what we did. Same as any football manager, the board sign the player, if they don't fancy him the won't play for him.. Next question...

Rosco and all the other managers would love a top 2 of Holder and Ward using Matt Fords money. it cant be that hard to build a team around those 2 can it!! but look at the awful team he put together this year. The only reason Poole are were they are is because Ward got injured and the side could be strenghened!! Middlo isnt fit to lace the shoes of someone like Pete Adams.

if you think Middlo is good at getting a team gb team to gel and bring through youngstres and get the best out of the boys then my word you are far off the mark.

let him mange poole with the aussies and poles it suits him

Think your wrong there mate, both Rosco and Adams could do absolutely no different to neil. As for Chris and Darcy, both were out there to be signed by other promoters, but Matt signed them both while other promoters were kipping. There is also such a thing as a bank manager..

Edited by Starman2006