British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PHILIPRISING

Swc Hero Hancock

THINK this deserves a topic on its own ... what a fantastic performance by Greg Hancock at both King's Lynn and particularly Prague in the SWC. Young riders need an inspirational hero and who better than Greg. A classy rider and a classy person.

• Like 2

Greg was brilliant. put his heart & soul into the world cup and showed excellent support and shared knowledge with rest of the team.

really did his country proud

The biggest inspiration Greg showed to his younger riders was National pride. Something evidently lacking from British speedway by our riders for many many many many many many years

Edited by screamer
  • Like 4

The biggest inspiration Greg showed to his younger riders was National pride. Something evidently lacking from British speedway by our riders for many many many many many many years

What riders would you be aiming that accusation at just out of interest?

What riders would you be aiming that accusation at just out of interest?

All of them.

• Like 1

All of them.

That’s absurd.

I appreciate that after a result last night it becomes the norm on forums for people to just get completely carried away and begin to say things that are emotion fuelled, and sure the riders deserve a slating but what you are saying is just nonsense.

You are implying that riders like Richardson, Harris, Havelock, Loram, Louis, Screen and even the likes of Barker and Bridger don’t have passion and a want to ride for their country?

For his limitations at the top level the one thing that can’t be levelled at Barker is a lack of National Pride.

Even during last nights meeting (and I am not one to buy into this BS about who likes who, and who doesn’t, but I will go with it for the sake of this) Barker and Woffinden apparently don’t get on and based on their body language last night (not an expert on this field) it was easy to assume that they don’t, but they weren’t avoiding each other and clearly put their differences aside for the sake of the country, fair play to them for that.

I would say any lack of “National Pride” has come about as a result of a feeling that the country (or the authorities at least) have turned their back on them, and if that happens often enough and the riders take the attitude of “if you don’t care, it makes it harder for me to” I can’t blame for that, that’s not a flaw.

Herbie was superb and a great inspiration to his team mates. Working with him and Billy at Kings Lynn and Prague was an honour and I enjoyed each and every second .....well done Team USA --and that includes all mechanics and the backroom team.

• Like 2

Herbie was superb and a great inspiration to his team mates. Working with him and Billy at Kings Lynn and Prague was an honour and I enjoyed each and every second .....well done Team USA --and that includes all mechanics and the backroom team.

aye yer right a hero in my household long may he continue

Great ambassador and role model for the sport.

Indeed. Yanks have always been very proud of their nation.The Brits on the other hand, more so the younger ones are not. Could be as there are not many Brits left in Britain.

Indeed. Yanks have always been very proud of their nation.The Brits on the other hand, more so the younger ones are not. Could be as there are not many Brits left in Britain.

TBF, I don't think you can acuse Barker and Bridger of not being proud. In fact Barker got into a confrontation at Cardiff one year because someone was supporting the Poles and not the Brits.

TBF, I don't think you can acuse Barker and Bridger of not being proud. In fact Barker got into a confrontation at Cardiff one year because someone was supporting the Poles and not the Brits.

But then Barker gets into all sorts of situations that he shouldn't do!!

Barker could start a confrontation in an empty room...Its really no ones business who an individual supports IMO..

I would say any lack of “National Pride” has come about as a result of a feeling that the country (or the authorities at least) have turned their back on them, and if that happens often enough and the riders take the attitude of “if you don’t care, it makes it harder for me to” I can’t blame for that, that’s not a flaw.

Hmm..

The support for the British riders is first rate compared to the support the US team gets from their ruling body.