British Speedway Forum

You would think MPs have slightly more important business to be dealing with at Westminster.

This topic is already up and running somewhere else on the BSF. I see among the delegates that of Michael Addison - the last I heard of him he was trying to set up a benefit meeting (about 2004/05) for Mark 'Buzz' Burrows then at Wimbledon. I'm not sure if that deservedly materialised for Burrows?

Aside from that, just what is the group hoping to achieve for speedway? Apart perhaps from some political hot air!

Edited by Guest

Interesting to see that there isn't a Lib-Dem in the line up.

Just as well really. They would have looked at Speedway Admission Pricing; and Students promised free admission, would have ended up paying three times as much! ;)

I find it hard not to be cynical about this type of thing.

It just smacks of a Luncheon Club ..... all on expenses of course.

You know - the BSPA can't win can it?

This is a VERY positive move to raise the Profile of Speedway in this Country. Nearly everyone on here including me have slammed the Promoters over this, that and the other. We accuse them of being useless, rubbish and full of self interest. Political influence is very important even if, like me, you don't have a lot of use for Politicians. There are many ways that Speedway can benefit from a Political tie up like this. An example would be the smoothing of the way, in certain areas, to open new Tracks. Do you think that Football has no Political influence because I can tell you it does - you can see it from time to time on the Television.

I wish this venture every success and I hope that it will bring many benefits to Speedway.

We have to be FAIR. Give the BSPA a chance over this one - if the initiative fails - well nobody can say that they have not tried. If it succeeds then we all may be the beneficiaries as our Sport struggles to recover from it's many problems.

• Like 1

You are dead right, whatever they do the BSPA never get any credit on here.

Swindon under threat and they now have a local MP officially on side. MP's made aware of the sport from the positive side and in a position to be lobbied and lobby for the sport more effectively.

I thought it was an excellent piece of work from those who made this possible and the first posts are all critical without giving a single, sensible, reason why it could be a bad move for Speedway.

It's little wonder that the BSPA refuse to listen to what is said on this forum when it almost entirely biased against them.

A speedway riding secretary to an MP must be a first as well!

• Like 2

When the plans for the new development around the stadium at Swindon were put forward it was the MP Justin Tomlinson who helped and insisted that the stadium would be built, and its inclusion was a condition of the granted planning permission.

It is good that he is on this group as he has had the first hand experience of what developers try to do.

When the plans for the new development around the stadium at Swindon were put forward it was the MP Justin Tomlinson who helped and insisted that the stadium would be built, and its inclusion was a condition of the granted planning permission.

It is good that he is on this group as he has had the first hand experience of what developers try to do.

What is your opinion 'A ORLOV on the new stadium?i am worried! i have heard various rumours and i am not convinced speedway is on the agenda?Once speedway is lost for a year or so that's it terminal also even if they're was a new track it would be nowhere near as big as the Abbey.The Abbey for me is unique a great shape an impartial racing strip not trying to scaremonger the vibes i have heard are not good you know more than me am i to negative.?

I have not seen the exact details of the amended planning application, but now that it seems that there is no light industrial units between the stadium and the housing. This is a pity as the industrial buffer would have helped with noise reduction reaching the housing and this had other advantages as well.

Originally the stadium was between the road and the housing but the plans were changed to include this light industrial buffer.

It has been mentioned that the existing stadium will remain, but may be modified, while the building of the new one is taking place so there should be minimal disruption as even the dogs need to continue racing.

With ref the track, it will not be as long as the existing one, I understand it will be similar to the track at Birmingham, which I have not been to. I like you sidney like the size of the track at Blunsdon but the size is limited to the length of the dog track, which will be shorter in the new stadium, but I understand by not much. I cannot find any stats on the length of the straights and size of the track at Birmingham but I understand the racing there is good.

Had I read your post yesterday I would have asked Jason last night. Maybe a few who have been to Birmingham can comment on the track and the racing there.

The revised plans do show a speedway track as well as a dog track but at the end of the day it is down to the stadium owners if they want both sports but I see no reason that both sports could not continue.

I like the fact that Blunsdon has a unique size and shape and I hope the proposed new one does not reduce the racing and overtaking lines and opportunities. At least the new track will not be like the one Oxford had where if you blinked you missed the race.

Edited by A ORLOV

I have not seen the exact details of the amended planning application, but now that it seems that there is no light industrial units between the stadium and the housing. This is a pity as the industrial buffer would have helped with noise reduction reaching the housing and this had other advantages as well.

Originally the stadium was between the road and the housing but the plans were changed to include this light industrial buffer.

It has been mentioned that the existing stadium will remain, but may be modified, while the building of the new one is taking place so there should be minimal disruption as even the dogs need to continue racing.

With ref the track, it will not be as long as the existing one, I understand it will be similar to the track at Birmingham, which I have not been to. I like you sidney like the size of the track at Blunsdon but the size is limited to the length of the dog track, which will be shorter in the new stadium, but I understand by not much. I cannot find any stats on the length of the straights and size of the track at Birmingham but I understand the racing there is good.

Had I read your post yesterday I would have asked Jason last night. Maybe a few who have been to Birmingham can comment on the track and the racing there.

The revised plans do show a speedway track as well as a dog track but at the end of the day it is down to the stadium owners if they want both sports but I see no reason that both sports could not continue.

I like the fact that Blunsdon has a unique size and shape and I hope the proposed new one does not reduce the racing and overtaking lines and opportunities. At least the new track will not be like the one Oxford had where if you blinked you missed the race.

Thanks 'A ORLOV' i went with my best friend last night, he has moved away so this was his first visit to the Abbey since 1977.He commented what a great strip the track is and what a shame if it was banished for ever.So i hope maybe redevelopment could be in order he did have a couple of moans though about the toilets(the dreaded ones) and the price of a pint! Apart from that he really enjoyed it. Edited by sidney

Can't be a bad thing for the sport to have some sort of collective representation in parliament. Only time will tell whether it will have any worthwhile effect.

• Like 1

Can't be a bad thing for the sport to have some sort of collective representation in parliament. Only time will tell whether it will have any worthwhile effect.

Yes because they have done so much good all these years for speedway havnt they ? Wake up and smell the coffee !!!!

Certain politicians in specific constituencies have been supportive of the sport. Andrew Davies, I think, is the local MP for Oxford and he has been very supportive and active in the ongoing fight to save the stadium.

I tend to be cynical about all things political, but even if it helps a little bit it can't be a bad thing can it?

• Like 1

Certain politicians in specific constituencies have been supportive of the sport. Andrew Davies, I think, is the local MP for Oxford and he has been very supportive and active in the ongoing fight to save the stadium.

I tend to be cynical about all things political, but even if it helps a little bit it can't be a bad thing can it?

Done a wonderful job then. How long has it now been closed. Wouldnt trust any MP in any shape or form.