British Speedway Forum

Sadly have to report the death of PAUL JOHNSON..PJ..the famous "Flag waver" from Perth. An amazingly extrovert character who was based at Foxhall in the late 1970 and featured at various World Finals at wembley..etc. He was always great fun..at times barking mad..but had some great ideas and made friends easily throughout the Speedway world.....Thoughts are with his lovely lady Edna..and Kim & Penny his daughters. RIP >>PJ....was more than great pleasure to be your friend. James

Edited by spiegal
  • Like 4

Every track should have a Paul Johnson, would add a bit of razmataz...

Every track should have a Paul Johnson, would add a bit of razmataz...

It would certainly help to jazz things up a bit. :t::approve:

I am reasonably certain that Paul Johnson was also "in action" at least once at Wimbledon in the 1970s?

From my childhood I have vague memories of a bright pink flared suit - is my memory playing tricks on me?

A great character who added much to the Ipswich speedway show back in the late 70's!

Probably the most memorable flag marshall I've ever seen in my long association with this great sport!

Do we know what seasons Paul Johnson was the flag marshall at the Wembley-staged World Finals?

not many people remember him as a named person, just a nutter in a suit waving and jumping all over the place. seen him once, but the memory still lives on. a great person a character that will be missed.

he was a charactet...he was the flag man at Claremont speedway in Perth and rose up to do the 1981 World Final at Wembley....amazing that a flag waiver can make a name for himself and actually have kids wanting to get his autograph...not many flag waivers do that !!!

How did he end up at Ipswich ?....was he spotted in Australia and asked to come over ?....

From my childhood I have vague memories of a bright pink flared suit - is my memory playing tricks on me?

thought they where white with coloured stars on ?

I would have gone to a meeting just to watch Paul Johnson in action!! He was brilliant.