British Speedway Forum

The Poor Relation...!

Where does speedway feature in any rating list for popular sports? Very, very low apparently at the BBC.

This morning I was listening to BBC Radio Two, the Keith Evans programme, and it featured women's test cricket. The other week they were featuring a women's international series. They regularly comment on the women's game - and good luck to them.

Other sports - including car and motorcycle racing (speedway apart) - get mentions on the programme - as they probably do elsewhere on BBC Radio.

But, o matter how important a speedway tournament featuring either team or individual events may be, our sport never gets any comment. A sad state of affairs. What can be done to redress this.

Don't you mean the Chris Evan breakfast show!! I don't know how often you listen to the show or radio 2 as a whole but I quite often hear mentions of speedway & radio 2 also did a bit of a special when it was the Cardiff GP & had Tai on live talking about the GP & his bike ride.

• Like 1

That 'Keith' Evans programme gets a huge audience too??! :D

ps. Is Keith Evans the 'Poor Relation'??

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

Don't you mean the Chris Evan breakfast show!! I don't know how often you listen to the show or radio 2 as a whole but I quite often hear mentions of speedway & radio 2 also did a bit of a special when it was the Cardiff GP & had Tai on live talking about the GP & his bike ride.

Yes, that is the correct name of the irritating presenter - Chris Evans not Keith (I wonder who Keith Evans is?). If speedway is mentioned I'll listen more carefully in future - the radio's only on as a background sound.

The coverage you mention looks good to me. I bow my head in shame at missing it!

That 'Keith' Evans programme gets a huge audience too??! :D

ps. Is Keith Evans the 'Poor Relation'??

I only used to listen intently when Terry Wogan was at the helm. I can't take the Chris (?) Evans hysteria and screaming at breakfast time.

Edited by Guest

Someone gave speedway a mention on Simon Mayo's drivetime too, it was one Friday about 6pm and I was heading to the chippy for our tea.

Edited by Deano

Someone gave speedway a mention on Simon Mayo's drivetime too, it was one Friday about 6pm and I was heading to the chippy for our tea.

I remember when a BBC Radio programme staged a match race between two riders who were at different tracks but the race finished when an equal distance had been covered.

Keith Evans was a seventies and early eighties Speedway rider for Sheffield and Scunthorpe.

I never caught his radio work.

Terry Wogan was a whippersnapper.

I always used to love the refined tones of Alvar Lidell.

I am 127 years old.

BBC WM is the speedway station, had the Brummies v Wolves match live today

regularly has the Brummies, Wolves and Dudley Heathens meetings, and are in the sports news bulletins throughout the day.

• Like 1

Keith Evans was a seventies and early eighties Speedway rider for Sheffield and Scunthorpe.

I am 127 years old.

I guess you probably also used to enjoy Uncle Mac and Larry the Lamb at teatime?

Edited by Guest

BBC WM is the speedway station, had the Brummies v Wolves match live today

regularly has the Brummies, Wolves and Dudley Heathens meetings, and are in the sports news bulletins throughout the day.

I will also ‘big up’ BBC Somerset who have a regular weekly Somerset Rebels feature on their Breakfast Show as presented by Matt Faulkner, which usually involves an interview with club promoter Debbie Hancock about any matches ridden in past week plus a bit of a preview of that week’s home match and any other news from the Oaktree Arena.

I am 127 years old.

Ah yes - that brings back memories.

"THIS is the BBC Home Service - Here is the News with Alvar Liddell reading it". :t:

Great stuff!!! :approve:

Thank you for reminding me of the 'Good Old Days' Grand Central. :t:

• Like 1

The Speedway coverage on BBC WM is second to none the commentators are absolutely first class, it almost like being at the track watching especially if you know the track, if you close your eyes you can see the action, it's that good.

I usually download a programme and follow it that way.

Edited by Team Man
  • Like 2