British Speedway Forum

not much option really with the plrc this week, then the cup final, then Redcar...plus racing on a Monday was probably out of the question due to the EL play offs affecting lindgren, Doyle, Morris, dyer, and josh G.

I just hope there's no rain offs, because the final in the last week of the season is cutting things just too fine.

All the best

Rob

I just hope there's no rain offs, because the final in the last week of the season is cutting things just too fine.

All the best

Rob

it will always be like this unless they do away with the prem trophy as a season starter.

I'm also a little concerned to see the lateness of some of the play-off dates. Comets plan to have theirs completed by the 28th (weather permitting, of course) - Rebels won't have even started by then! Why is there no Rebel home meeting on the 27th? Neither Redcar nor Newcastle have anything else on. If the weather is bad in the first week of October then we're really stuffed!

If Newcastle were to move the Cup Final to Oct 13 and come to Somerset on Sep 27, we could have the play-offs completed by Oct 6 , leaving plenty of time for Somerset and Edinboro to fit in the Grand Final ;)

Edited by Barney Rebel

it will always be like this unless they do away with the prem trophy as a season starter.

I don't quite see that. There's not tons of fixtures this season. No way the League Cup shouldn't be have done and dusted months ago, for example. That's down to all clubs really, just not the finalists, because they were reserved dates for the semi-finals and they should have been stuck to. League Cup Final should be in June.

Maybe the PLRC needs to be in early September as well. Leave the deck clear for the play-off matches to take place as soon as possible.

All the best

Rob

Doesn't really matter we beat you easy both home and away.

Redcar have got about as much chance of winning it, as Plymouth have of signing Darcy Ward next year.

But more chance of winning it than Leicester eh! ;)

I don't quite see that. There's not tons of fixtures this season. No way the League Cup shouldn't be have done and dusted months ago, for example. That's down to all clubs really, just not the finalists, because they were reserved dates for the semi-finals and they should have been stuck to. League Cup Final should be in June.

Maybe the PLRC needs to be in early September as well. Leave the deck clear for the play-off matches to take place as soon as possible.

All the best

Rob

roughly...taking into account the last week in march, upto the cut off date ( 25 weeks)

Out of that 25 weeks newcastle have had to full fill 18 official fixtures so far

12 league

3 prem trophy

2 ko cup

1 premier sheild....that leaves 7 weeks...

Then take off plrc, Cardiff, raceday clash with Glasgow and the test match .. Only leaves 3 for rain offs, less had we progressed in the ko cup... Some other teams can alter race nights etc ie Somerset racing tonight... We can't or havent got viable options because of the dogs and William hill....

Start the season earlier or make the prem trophy a straight knockout etc...

The elite league has struggled and they have half the fixtures... And no cups.

But more chance of winning it than Leicester eh! ;)

Leicester's got no chance and Redcar has no chance. So I would say about the same ;)

You only got sixth through default.

not much option really with the plrc this week, then the cup final, then Redcar...plus racing on a Monday was probably out of the question due to the EL play offs affecting lindgren, Doyle, Morris, dyer, and josh G.

Would it have not been possible for Newcastle to race Redcar on Monday 23/9 and then Somerset on Sunday 6/10 to avoid EL clashes for double uppers ?

Would it have not been possible for Newcastle to race Redcar on Monday 23/9 and then Somerset on Sunday 6/10 to avoid EL clashes for double uppers ?

dyer and lindgren would be missing on 23rd??

I predict more rain offs........... :neutral::blink:

If reports are to be believed even Snow off's

It's not the idea of having play offs so much.

Its the way that Speedway is run by an amateurish governing body who to be honest haven't got a bloody clue.

'And so say all of us'

Leicester's got no chance and Redcar has no chance. So I would say about the same ;)

You only got sixth through default.

I agree Redcar's chances are about the same as Plymouth signing Darcy Ward for next season, but Leicester's chances are the same as Plymouth signing Darcey Bussell :rofl: No way near the same, go ask a bookie for odds on Leicester !!

Edited by northyorksbear
  • Like 1

There's been a lot of twaddle spoken on here about other sports using play-offs to determine their champions - almost every sport does this, to a lesser or greater degree. Football is probably the most conservative in that it only uses them for the lesser positions, but it still recognizes their value, as does Speedway across all its three leagues.

American sports prefer much bigger top level leagues, split into conferences and reginal divisions, however in all of these, every team plays against teams from all the other divisions before going into play-offs.

Aussie Sports all prefer the convulted qualfying and elimination type of play-offs that we see in Rugby League in this country (which might work in Speedway to a lesser degree), whilst most European sports prefer a single league leading to their own play-offs.

Most interestingly, the two major baseball leagues that make up the top level of their sport have differing rules (designated hitter rule) which, in inter-league games, is utilised when the home team uses that rule, and the away team adjusts - could you imagine that happening in Speedway? Perhaps it already does at Poole ;)

What lets Speedway down is the poor governance and the lack of communication from the top. Some of the recent difficulties with teams making the cut-off could have been avoided if the BSPA had been more forthcoming with clarifying cut-off dates and stating the implications, as Leicester found to their cost.

I think many in the sport would find the play-offs much more agreeable if they were managed properly, and that goes back to the orginal point that the governing body is poorly run - like those American sports, perhaps we should bring in an all-powerful commissioner, as was mooted all those years ago.

I agree Redcar's chances are about the same as Plymouth signing Darcy Ward for next season, but Leicester's chances are the same as Plymouth signing Darcey Bussell :rofl: No way near the same, go ask a bookie for odds on Leicester !!

So that's two of Plymouths team sorted for next year.

Will ALL their team members have to be called Darcy? :blink:

Edited by ancient mariner