British Speedway Forum
rob tatum

Sky. A Wasted Opportunity

EL crowds at SKY meetings are embarrassing and we've been saying that for years, the promoters know that, did they not know that it is an issue to SKY????

Really, they maybe a certain clubs, but we didn't do to badly Monday.

Lets face it sky don’t care about speedway. They haven’t done for a long time. When you phone up and ask about speedway they go er whats that. Im not with sky and I haven’t been for a little while now. Sky have missed out on lots of speedway they prefer to show football and have always done. For what I was paying to watch league meetings on sky it was a joke.

What sky should of done was to show more meetings and not just league meetings. I know they also showed the GPs but they never showed the GP qualifiers. Also they never showed the cup matches so when you look at it sky is a joke.

Now BT have come on the tv and its about time someone takes on Sky I think sky are really under pressure. I know BT don’t show speedway but you can’t say what’s going to happen in the future.

Sky have missed out on lots of opportunities to show other non-league speedway and also not just elite league over the years they have just decided not to.

When I had sky I never understood why they never showed lower league racing more on the TV. Some PL matches can be just as exciting as an Elite league and the crowds can be just as more

I think its more a case of 'speedway doesn't care about Sky' or 'speedway doesn't care about fans'. The Sky monies/sponsorship should certainly have been used to 'incentivise' increased attendances, rather than pay out more to riders, engine tuners et al. It shouldn't matter what meetings have actually been televised, its how the money has been (mis-)used!!

• Like 4

Would not be surprised if sky did have a problem with crowd levels at meetings they show, after all most sporting events are made to look better when there is a good atmosphere, a great race can only look so good if no one is there to see it and for the people at home tuning in its going to be a case of what is that? well there is hardly anyone there so it can't be that good, i will switch over.

Said it once and i will say it again, the promoters got greedy, they took the money and ran instead of taking the ball and running with that instead.

Personally I am amazed sky stayed with league speedway for as long as they have. Let's be honest most pictures show a dirt track surrounded by a scruffy tarpaulin with a few cars tyres on top, A few hundred fans,a race than can take forever with restarts etc etc etc team managers and promoters giving interviews and coming across as insular knobs. Compared to the GPs the whole thing looks as if the local gypsies are running the show. Despite all that I still go I must be mad.

• Like 4

Would not be surprised if sky did have a problem with crowd levels at meetings they show, after all most sporting events are made to look better when there is a good atmosphere, a great race can only look so good if no one is there to see it and for the people at home tuning in its going to be a case of what is that? well there is hardly anyone there so it can't be that good, i will switch over.

Said it once and i will say it again, the promoters got greedy, they took the money and ran instead of taking the ball and running with that instead.

I agree that promoters did get greedy but not all promoters are the same. Sky should of seen this and maybe done something about not going back to the greedy clubs. Not all the promoters are the same. Sky didnt always show the best matches. The thing that makes speedway work in other countries is the tv showing and how the promot speedway. We have always had sky just showing speedway and no one to touch them. Now there are compianes that can take on sky hopefully one of the tv compaines can do something when sky dont want to show speedway anymore.

Personally I am amazed sky stayed with league speedway for as long as they have. Let's be honest most pictures show a dirt track surrounded by a scruffy tarpaulin with a few cars tyres on top, A few hundred fans,a race than can take forever with restarts etc etc etc team managers and promoters giving interviews and coming across as insular knobs. Compared to the GPs the whole thing looks as if the local gypsies are running the show. Despite all that I still go I must be mad.

And then there are guests!

I agree that promoters did get greedy but not all promoters are the same. Sky should of seen this and maybe done something about not going back to the greedy clubs. Not all the promoters are the same. Sky didnt always show the best matches. The thing that makes speedway work in other countries is the tv showing and how the promot speedway. We have always had sky just showing speedway and no one to touch them. Now there are compianes that can take on sky hopefully one of the tv compaines can do something when sky dont want to show speedway anymore.

"The thing that makes speedway work in other countries is the tv showing and how the promot speedway"

Do you mean like the no overtaking rule in Sweden and Denmark?.

• Like 1

And then there are guests!

"The thing that makes speedway work in other countries is the tv showing and how the promot speedway"

Do you mean like the no overtaking rule in Sweden and Denmark?.

dont know what speedway you watch but i when i watch speedway live from Sweden and Denmark as well as Poland there is overtaking.

Monday night speedway on SKY has become a chore, be honest. When viewers are more concerned with the comments from Kelvin and Nigel, and the shouting during even the average races, speedway has lost its way.

My personal view is that macthes are too drawn out. You don't want to spend half the night watching spare time while Chris Louis finds someone to speak to or show us part of the race we didn't really take any notice of in the first place.

Recently I have recorded the live matches and watched later that night, and it is really amazing how much more enjoyable the actual racing is. You don't need needless chat and interviews that bring nothing but silly questions and answers to the speedway table.

The Poole v Swindon grapple the other night was like old-time speedway. I got straight to Heat One and the action was there from the off. Fast forward to Heat Two and, you know what, this speedway game isn't that bad to view (on the right occasion when teams are committed).

Monday's match was possibly the best EL match I have seen on SKY since the day Father Christmas was a kid. I really enjoyed it... it certainly had me feeling I hadn't wasted my time tuning in. Record it, fast forward the boring parts... and you cut out at least 90 minutes.

I wouldn't mind if SKY grabbed footage taken by various track DVD companies and showed that, if possible. which is quite decent quality Not botheed about crystal clear pictures, 3D or HD, just decent racing... thanks!

Edited by moxey63

But why would sky want to show league speedway ? Unless its cheap to show I can't see a reason why as my daughter would see "be bothered". Just a side line we took a friend to the GP challenge at poole on the wkd for her 1 st live meet her comments were 1 expensive 2 programme too expensive but as she said you need one to follow what's going on 3 why don't they rush things along a bit as my bums getting numb. 4 stadium looks tatty. She watches all the GPs at our house and will come to cardiff next year.

Programmes are too expensive, are basically a load of out-of-date editiorial and an effort by the promotion to get some back-pocket money through advertising revenue, and then ask you to stump up three quid for it, when this time tomorrow it'll be stored somewhere with the others. A programme is good for two things: to keep up with the scores on the evening and for later reference puproses, only the socrecard is worth keeping. But promoters want to charge you extra for a part of what the evening's entertainment should be all about, filling in a scorecard. Throw in a basic scorecard for those not fooled into buying a 16-page prog.

Programmes are too expensive, are basically a load of out-of-date editiorial and an effort by the promotion to get some back-pocket money through advertising revenue, and then ask you to stump up three quid for it, when this time tomorrow it'll be stored somewhere with the others. A programme is good for two things: to keep up with the scores on the evening and for later reference puproses, only the socrecard is worth keeping. But promoters want to charge you extra for a part of what the evening's entertainment should be all about, filling in a scorecard. Throw in a basic scorecard for those not fooled into buying a 16-page prog.

I don't buy a Programme any more. I just watch the Racing - far better than worrying where I have gone wrong. :blink::rolleyes: :rolleyes: B)

• Like 1

........moxey63....... Record it, fast forward the boring parts... and you cut out at least 90 minutes.

Must admit I used to do that but this season I've gone a bit further and cut out the whole lot as I'm not paying £25 a month just to watch E.L. racing. Can't say I have missed it.

• Like 1

16-pages is a bit poor. Poole's Matchday magazine is 48 pages, with fan features, quizzes, articles from Promoter, Team Manager, home and away rider profiles/news, SGP news and a 'look back' at something/someone relevant for the older fans - all in full colour! Its very different every week - and yes there is advertising in it - often one of the very few incomes that come to the promotion rather than the stadium owners!!

Lets face it sky don’t care about speedway. They haven’t done for a long time. When you phone up and ask about speedway they go er whats that. Im not with sky and I haven’t been for a little while now. Sky have missed out on lots of speedway they prefer to show football and have always done. For what I was paying to watch league meetings on sky it was a joke.

What sky should of done was to show more meetings and not just league meetings. I know they also showed the GPs but they never showed the GP qualifiers. Also they never showed the cup matches so when you look at it sky is a joke.

Now BT have come on the tv and its about time someone takes on Sky I think sky are really under pressure. I know BT don’t show speedway but you can’t say what’s going to happen in the future.

Sky have missed out on lots of opportunities to show other non-league speedway and also not just elite league over the years they have just decided not to.

When I had sky I never understood why they never showed lower league racing more on the TV. Some PL matches can be just as exciting as an Elite league and the crowds can be just as more

Are you living in some sort of parallel universe where the nation is clamouring for speedway to be on tv?