British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robinh88

Berwick 2014?

Unfortunately you are in the minority ,many have just deserted for the reasons being mentioned .how you can use a Rugby or Football Pitch as an example is beyond me I am afraid.

track prep is the major factor ad say crap track crap racing = no spectators get it right and we may attract more people to watch
  • Like 1

But my question would be why is this continuously happening?

They need to be a bit less comfortable in their position.

I've never been a fan of the laissez faire approach to managing sportsmen.

Averages and too many riders who get their cash from the Polish and Swedish leagues mean they are less hungry.

Just look at Ricky, Kozza, Complin, Matty, Bellego, and Starke.

They were never turning up just for pocket money, it could be debated that the others were.

• Like 1

It's because you are going to be team manager next year, Taffy.

Or so the word has been coming out of a local horologist's emporium.

From several sources now :)

But as I wrote in a post a few weeks ago. John said in a interview with GRT media (pre season I think) that he had assembled 7 riders who were not just turning up for pocket money. Reading between the lines obviously riders have done this... but it probably happens at all clubs, too some degree more than others.

I totally agreed with John on this, yet we carried two riders for most of the campaign Some will argue Aspegren maybe wasn't suited to Shielfield, looking at his Swedish scores and home track in Sweden, while maybe not as banked as Berwick was fast, big and in Hammarby's case very slick.

Yet another Swede smashing Bogdanovs, AJ and Lindback on the Thursday then coming to Berwick and managing 2,3,2,0 against the might of Doolan, Lanham and Morten Risager. It was interesting this paticular rider stated how he regretted leaving Berwick, maybe because we tolerated his inconsistancies or new no better. Either way he had the talent to be a much better rider.

Totally agree Scott Wethers has done a honourable job for the Bandits, Smith and Bellego definitely go the extra yard wider where other riders wouldn't. While I don't into buy all the Ricky was a No1 malarky. What I liked about Ricky was his professional approach, scoring the points week in week out, no missed meetings, no going Mike Tyson in the pits just coming in and doing a job.

Currently I don't think it is so simple for Berwick to just have a good team going on our past years. But I look forward to seeing what happens in the coming weeks.

They need to be a bit less comfortable in their position.

I've never been a fan of the laissez faire approach to managing sportsmen.

Averages and too many riders who get their cash from the Polish and Swedish leagues mean they are less hungry.

Just look at Ricky, Kozza, Complin, Matty, Bellego, and Starke.

They were never turning up just for pocket money, it could be debated that the others were.

Scott, a conversation with Adrian and a group of speedway riders over the weekend. To compete in speedway today you really have to ride in at least 3 countries to make it viable, either your own country plus Poland & Sweden, or U.K & Sweden. The other way is to do it as a hobby, supported by normal employment and local sponsors, just not financially viable to just ride in U.K PL. Another option for a few riders would be to double up to the EL with the PL and still do another country.

It's because you are going to be team manager next year, Taffy.

Or so the word has been coming out of a local horologist's emporium.

From several sources now :)

How much am I being paid according to these sources, I don't come cheap, being as brilliant as I am :wink:

Scott, a conversation with Adrian and a group of speedway riders over the weekend. To compete in speedway today you really have to ride in at least 3 countries to make it viable, either your own country plus Poland & Sweden, or U.K & Sweden. The other way is to do it as a hobby, supported by normal employment and local sponsors, just not financially viable to just ride in U.K PL. Another option for a few riders would be to double up to the EL with the PL and still do another country.

How much am I being paid according to these sources, I don't come cheap, being as brilliant as I am :wink:

I don't believe that a 7.5-8.5 pt rider riding in the PL doesn't make money out the sport. What is the average points money for a Heat Leader these days.Normal employment is the answer if it doesn't pay IMO

I don't believe that a 7.5-8.5 pt rider riding in the PL doesn't make money out the sport. What is the average points money for a Heat Leader these days.Normal employment is the answer if it doesn't pay IMO

It's not the wages they used to get, the real problem is the cost of equipment, a few years ago an engine was about £4500, with a re build aevery 12 meetings at a cost of about a £1000. Today a tuned GM about £7500, with a re build about £1500 every 5 meetings. This is why riders rely so much on sponsorship, it is why for years I do not sponsor clubs, only riders.

Heinz.

Heinz 57 sources

An interesting few posts.

The cost of the sport is clearly one of the major causes of the difficulties in the UK.

Love the prospect of Taffy as team manager! About six months before April 1st, too. However, in the main the last two or three pages have been both interesting and constructive. So much better than endless lists of other clubs' riders who posters mistakenly believe would immediately jump ship at the prospect of becoming a Bandit next year!

An interesting few posts.

The cost of the sport is clearly one of the major causes of the difficulties in the UK.

On top of that you need 2 reliable engines plus a couple of back ups, have a shunt a new rolling chassis probably close to £2000. You can re-build an engine, do one meeting blow the engine, no redress to the tuner, just another new engine. You will have heard the stories of the Poles turning up with 6 engines. Cost Cost and more Cost, you can now see how difficult it is for someone like Liam Carr. For him I would like a group to get together and support the local lad, a bit like TEAM RYMEL.

• Like 1

Taffy your source wood have nothing to do with your T in Garage heard it was a good night

, you can now see how difficult it is for someone like Liam Carr. For him I would like a group to get together and support the local lad, a bit like TEAM RYMEL.

Now there's a project for you to get into, sir! Your credibility would sky-rocket if you could pull such a support team together for Liam.
  • Like 1

Love the prospect of Taffy as team manager! About six months before April 1st, too. However, in the main the last two or three pages have been both interesting and constructive. So much better than endless lists of other clubs' riders who posters mistakenly believe would immediately jump ship at the prospect of becoming a Bandit next year!

It would be nice to keep it constructive, we all have different views, but a concensus can be found by getting lots of different views.

Taffy your source wood have nothing to do with your T in Garage heard it was a good night

Dunno, but we will have the other SAUCE in the Grove tonight.