British Speedway Forum

Tony was one of the real stalwarts of TV sport - when you think about it he's been around for ever (so though I too was surprised to see he was 74, makes sense actually..).

Part of the golden generation alongside other greats like David Coleman.

He will be massively missed.

Shocked and saddened, Remember him commentating on a Lynn vs Poole match in the play-off's a couple of years ago and he intrigued me with his enthusiasm and passion for the sport.

R.I.P

I bet the publishers of the speedway calendar will breath easy tonight, knowing that Tony wont be in contact complaining that his calendar only had 11 months on it, as someone had stolen a March!

We played Millard bingo many times when he was the much missed regular Grand Prix commentator, and there were prizes for those that got a full house of his cliches. It brightened many a dull meeting.

Having done race commentaries for re-run productions myself, it is not as easy as many think and it's testament to Tony that he was always able to make his commentaries memorable (even perhaps for all the wrong reasos sometimes;) )

So another speedway personality passses to the great race track in the sky and that'll be one helluva meeting to be at, whether riding, officiating, commentating or spectating!

May you rest in peace, Mr Millard sir!

• Like 2

I bet the publishers of the speedway calendar will breath easy tonight, knowing that Tony wont be in contact complaining that his calendar only had 11 months on it, as someone had stolen a March!

We played Millard bingo many times when he was the much missed regular Grand Prix commentator, and there were prizes for those that got a full house of his cliches. It brightened many a dull meeting.

Having done race commentaries for re-run productions myself, it is not as easy as many think and it's testament to Tony that he was always able to make his commentaries memorable (even perhaps for all the wrong reasos sometimes;) )

So another speedway personality passses to the great race track in the sky and that'll be one helluva meeting to be at, whether riding, officiating, commentating or spectating!

May you rest in peace, Mr Millard sir!

Well said Master Kevin....I always liked him and enjoyed many a beer at the Speedway Star Golf day...highly thought of at Sky TV...and in his earlier years was highly inovative with his Speedway Info lines..which made him more than a few shillings it must be said....will miss him

• Like 1

Well said Master Kevin....I always liked him and enjoyed many a beer at the Speedway Star Golf day...highly thought of at Sky TV...and in his earlier years was highly inovative with his Speedway Info lines..which made him more than a few shillings it must be said....will miss him

Have heard tributes today mentioned on bbc, 2 sky channels and talksport.

Have heard tributes today mentioned on bbc, 2 sky channels and talksport.

I liked him he went back a number of years at Eastie for me the claxon god that was loud. Kennett,Niemi,Kelly, Woodsy great times for that club i av Prob been to Arlington 20 times Tony loved speedway a good announcer god bless Tony.

only just heard this, life would have been much more boring without 'Millardisms'. RIP

R.I.P to the legend that was Tony Millard!! , the man who enhanced speedways tv coverage just like Dave Lanning did. Fond memories of Havvy and Rampala race at poole in World Cup and many more besides.

Disappointed with the throw away by Nigel Pearson commentating at this afternoon's meeting at Poole about the passing of Tony Millard. He was a Sky Sports colleague after all. Shame on you Pearson. RIP Tony. Great entertainment and will be sadly missed.

I thought that race of Tony commentating was awesome,so was Gollob. And that race showed how awesome a talent TG has been over a long period anyway going back to Tony he was pretty good on the footy as well.!

Edited by sidney

Disappointed with the throw away by Nigel Pearson commentating at this afternoon's meeting at Poole about the passing of Tony Millard. He was a Sky Sports colleague after all. Shame on you Pearson. RIP Tony. Great entertainment and will be sadly missed.

THINK you are criticising the wrong person ... out of Nigel's hands.

The play off's, this year, wont be the same without you Tony RIP :(