British Speedway Forum
manchesterpaul

Rider Size, How Much Does It Matter?

Arthur Browning was a big lad and he did alright :)

he was about 8 foot tall with legs that could extend an extra couple of foot when he went into the bends.

He used to cover the inside with his extendable legs so nobody could go under him.

So the answer to your question is yes. :rofl:

Thing is though how better would his results have been if he hadn't been 'handicapped' by his extra weight compared to the other horses ooops riders in a race. We've established a burly biker can race a speedway bike but at what weight does it strongly affect his ability to race on equal terms?

I saw plenty of fat guys in the 70s who could gate, pass, defend a line, team ride and do just about anything else a skinny guy could do half as better.

Perhaps nowadays the technology favours the thin and superfit but those fat, smoking, boozers used to entertain the hell out of the crowd when I was young.

Maybe if these guys had been thinner and fitter and had not drank as much or puffed on as many ciggies they would have been world champions but the chunky unfit speedway rider was an enetertainer as much as the fit skinny blokes. :rofl:

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 2

I regularly used to help 'Big Arthur' push his bike from the pits at Perry Barr in the early 70's - he once ran it over my foot - and I can confirm that he was a f**kin' giant! But I was only about 10.

• Like 1

Within certain parameters it makes little difference. A riders will set his bike up with this in mind. Possibly somewhere between 8.5 - 9 stone as a minimum and 11 - 11.5 stone as an upper limit. Outside those parameters then a rider may well be hampered.

We have of course seen successful riders from the other side of both those limits but not many.

• Like 1

From memory, he was about average height, but must have weighed getting on for 20 stone.

Yes. I too remember Tiny White and I think you're under estimating his size and weight, I would put another couple of inches and another couple of stone on that, I think he could have eaten Ronnie Russell for a snack. Don't remember him ever beating anybody though, last every time by at least a quarter of a lap. Give him credit for trying though, must have really loved the sport.

If you are looking for tall Riders - how about Pete Wigley?

Thing is though how better would his results have been if he hadn't been 'handicapped' by his extra weight compared to the other horses ooops riders in a race. We've established a burly biker can race a speedway bike but at what weight does it strongly affect his ability to race on equal terms?

I'd add another angle to the debate, and that's that a rider with "decent" body mass and inherent strength that goes with it, may well be able to withstand the bumps and bangs of racing a lot better than the "will'o'the whisp" riders. Compare Arthur Browning's (lack of an) injury record with that of someone like Adam Roynon.

I'd add another angle to the debate, and that's that a rider with "decent" body mass and inherent strength that goes with it, may well be able to withstand the bumps and bangs of racing a lot better than the "will'o'the whisp" riders. Compare Arthur Browning's (lack of an) injury record with that of someone like Adam Roynon.

Arthur Browning picked up one or two injuries during his career.

As when someone stabbed him at a party!

That was due to fighting with other riders & delivering Cadbury's Milk Tray to the Lady. :wink:

• Like 1

As when someone stabbed him at a party!

I didn't know that. :shock: :shock:

Bernard Julian was a bit on the portly side. Norman Strachan was both small in stature and a bit tubby. :drink:

Carl Glover was a good bit over six feet tall, especially with his 'Bowie' hair style. Didn't carry a lot of weight mind. Great rider and always popular when he came up to Barrow.

Bernard Julian was a bit on the portly side. Norman Strachan was both small in stature and a bit tubby. :drink:

Was that Chris Julian? what about Jim Tebby he was short and stumpy.!!