British Speedway Forum
boston five

Somerset Team Changes

Were a few rumblings for bringing Charlie back to Workington to replace Chris Mills, nowt happened as usual so only time will tell whether Charlie's new found confidence will translate into PL points, he has had enough chances so if he does do the business this could be a very shrewd move? ;)

Just wondering if the northern tour had anything to do with it,both reserves for the Waspels were really struggling at all three venues.

According to the Somerset website, very much so.

while Charles Wright is outstanding in NL, but he has had a number of chances in PL and fails to maintain his form for any length of time ,dropping Neilsen seems to be a bit harsh.We don't know what is going on behind the scenes though.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Wright has been almost unbeatable in the NL this season but he's had a lot of chances in the PL and has been dumped by a number of clubs. There's no doubt that this is a gamble that could really backfire.

Perhaps the timing of it is the worst thing, taking advantage of the fact that Lambert and Nielsen rode at home then dumping them for away matches on the close off day. While you could argue that it is simply good management to take every step to be successful, personally this crosses the line for me.

The number of speedway rules confuse me and cannot remember the cut off date rule, was Wednesday the last opportunity to change a team before the end of the season in October, or just for the next month?

I may be wrong but technically I don't think Stefan has put 2-90 on his average (3 to 4-90). Did he not come in on an assessed average of 3 points and did not get an average until completing the 4 home and 4 away matches, which was delayed due to an injury. My point is if you had another rider coming in on a 5 point assessed average, and his average was now 4-90 you could not say he had got worse, by his average dropping. Stefan did not get an official average until issue 31 2nd August on the BSPA list, which was 4-90. Stefan's Conference average is 8-32 and Charles Wright is 10-74 so in theory Wright should perform better than Stefan. Just another point, we are led to believe that there is a good team spirit at Somerset and moral is high, if the allegations that some riders influenced the decision, then that throws some doubt over the team spirit. If the allegations are not true, as I suspect, then how will these changes affect team moral. It seems strange to me that Somerset management would have said we must win the League at all costs, as they have shown loyalty in the past when willing to stick by Tom Perry much longer than many other clubs would have done, and in another example in previous seasons, they continued to re sign James Holder when most people thought he should be replaced.

Edited by oldtimer

Isn't the idea of a competition to win? Who cares if a few people get their knickers in the twist along the way, it's good to know Somerset are deadly serious about winning and getting success.

As I've said numerous times I'm sad to see Stefan go, and think the call to drop him is very harsh, all we can do as supporters of the club is back whoever is riding for us.... And the riders who are attempting to lift our first ever league title.

• Like 2

As I've said numerous times I'm sad to see Stefan go, and think the call to drop him is very harsh, all we can do as supporters of the club is back whoever is riding for us.... And the riders who are attempting to lift our first ever league title.

There is no question that we supporters will continue to back whoever is riding for us, and that we all want to see the Rebels being successful. The introduction of Charles Wright may even give us more scoring potential away from home in the short term, but it's a huge risk that may easily backfire in many ways, with little to be gained in my opinion. We have taken maximum points at home, bar one, and have yet to lose by more than eight away, so the current side is doing just fine - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Also, what damage could this ruthlessness have on our reputation? Which young prospect is going to want to ride for a team who dumps a 3-pointer averaging 4.7?

• Like 5

There is no question that we supporters will continue to back whoever is riding for us, and that we all want to see the Rebels being successful. The introduction of Charles Wright may even give us more scoring potential away from home in the short term, but it's a huge risk that may easily backfire in many ways, with little to be gained in my opinion. We have taken maximum points at home, bar one, and have yet to lose by more than eight away, so the current side is doing just fine - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Also, what damage could this ruthlessness have on our reputation? Which young prospect is going to want to ride for a team who dumps a 3-pointer averaging 4.7?

Agree with you fully Barney - we've heard many stories of Somerset being one of the few teams who completely look after their riders and treat them right. This tends to dent that reputation a bit.

Time will tell and I hope it works out as the promotion could have massive egg on their face come the end of the season.

Sheffield have announced that Simon Lambert has now joined us! Winning at all costs is what is ruining this sport, feel sorry for Stefan, another rider I wouldn't mind in my team. Cheque book speedway must be ruled out before it destroys this sport...

Is Charles Wright still allowed to double up with Buxton? Last year Lambert had to drop out of the Stoke team when he joined Rye House.

the late Ian Thomas stuck by his riders through thick and thin. when they signed for Workington they were almost guaranteed a full season of employment , therefore they were able to invest in new equipment and do the odd upgrades as they were needed. a certain Mr denham failed to give his workers that assurance , thankfully Laura Morgan is giving everyone a chance at Workington. it may not be to every ones liking...but . no rider is going to sigh for a club , spend money for the season on bikes/equipment and only get 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through it .. Charles has had lots of chances at a number of clubs, his down fall is his dirty equipment and prep in the pits BEFORE the meeting starts.. look forward to seeing how he gets on. hope he can do the biz in the prem.. (Charles is a Workington asset i do believe ) :t:

I feel sorry for Stephan who has done quite well, Lambert as had many goes in the PL. Come on BSPA lets have some rules set in concrete for british youngsters for 2014 One british rookie in every team for the full year? On a certain average, If every team had one it would be a fair playing field!

Edited by June
  • Like 2

Bold move by the Somerset Promotion, and will be interesting to see if they pull it off.

There is an old saying "If it ain't broken don't fix it.", and you do have to wonder with Somerset sitting at the top of the league are the Promotion at Somerset getting a little bit twitchy about the top 5, because for me the top 5 that Somerset has should or would carry the reserves.

But it certainly has added a twist to the Play off situation, and it will be interesting to see what the final outcome will be.

I feel sorry for Stephan who has done quite well, Lambert as had many goes in the PL. Come on BSPA lets have some rules set in concrete for british youngsters for 2014 One british rookie in every team for the full year? On a certain average, If every team had one it would be a fair playing field!

Talk about knee jerk reaction - For all of the riders that have improved Ie. Stefan, there have many that have tried and failed miserably.

Bold move by the Somerset Promotion, and will be interesting to see if they pull it off.

There is an old saying "If it ain't broken don't fix it.", and you do have to wonder with Somerset sitting at the top of the league are the Promotion at Somerset getting a little bit twitchy about the top 5, because for me the top 5 that Somerset has should or would carry the reserves.

But it certainly has added a twist to the Play off situation, and it will be interesting to see what the final outcome will be.

There's also another saying... "there's always room for improvement" ;)

Edited by Najjer

Plus Ashley Morris Najjer

Just seen your reply after I have made an edit, but Ashley Morris is another who seems to have scored pretty steadily all season which is good to see after a few seasons of trying to crack the PL.