British Speedway Forum

I understand that stadium bosses Spedeworth International are planing a further upgrade of facilities at Foxhall Heath. It seems that besides their own major two-day annual event in mid-season (as well as their usual car race programmes) they also hope to eventually promote the prestige Brisca Formula One World Championship - this usually takes place in early September.

Aside from that, I wonder if eventually Ipswich could be a place for major speedway championships on a regular basis each season? Is there any sound of that happening on the Foxhall Heath speedway jungle drums?

Or could Speedworth the leaseholders eventually squeeze Speedway out of Foxhall as they are only 55 meeting allowed a year by the local council. That is combined Speedway and Stock Car. It stands to reason that more stock car will be less Speedway . Ironically the Stadium is owned by Ipswich Speedway Limited.

Expect I am wrong but I thought that Speedworth purchased the stadium hence all the investment and improvement.

Correct.

Ipswich Speedway Ltd was the historical name of the previous owners, and not related to the speedway promotion that has been running since John Berry revived it in 1969.

As far as I know, the new owner has no desire to prevent the speedway from running. I've no idea of the timescale to get the Brisca Final (scheduled for Cov in 2014) - they currently have one meeting per season where the Brisca motors race (this year it's a 2014 World Champs Qualifier on 21st June). They use Cherolet V8 engines with minimal silencing, and are incredibly noisy - certainly anyone who hears their roar can't complain about the short tinny bursts of speedway.

Edited by Had Enough

Or could Speedworth the leaseholders eventually squeeze Speedway out of Foxhall as they are only 55 meeting allowed a year by the local council. That is combined Speedway and Stock Car. It stands to reason that more stock car will be less Speedway . Ironically the Stadium is owned by Ipswich Speedway Limited.

Would you really expect the Stocks would want to run twice a week? This is effectively what it would be (given the months run) if Speedway was pushed out.

I cant see that myself.

I also cant see that the Stocks would run midweek.

Part of the reason Stocks get good crowds IMO is that its weekends and not every week.

Id say the rent and refreshment takings from the Speedway is good business for them.

As far as I know, the new owner has no desire to prevent the speedway from running. I've no idea of the timescale to get the Brisca Final (scheduled for Cov in 2014) - they currently have one meeting per season where the Brisca motors race (this year it's a 2014 World Champs Qualifier on 21st June). They use Cherolet V8 engines with minimal silencing, and are incredibly noisy - certainly anyone who hears their roar can't complain about the short tinny bursts of speedway.

Coventry Stadium sold today it seems and the greyhounds already moving out as no new lease expected.

Unclear as to the impact on Speedway and Stocks (if any) at this time.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Would you really expect the Stocks would want to run twice a week? This is effectively what it would be (given the months run) if Speedway was pushed out.

I cant see that myself.

I also cant see that the Stocks would run midweek.

Part of the reason Stocks get good crowds IMO is that its weekends and not every week.

Id say the rent and refreshment takings from the Speedway is good business for them.

On the refreshment takings, I'd expect them to go up nicely now that there's more choice and IMO better food than previously.

I've not really been one to eat at Foxhall as quite frankly, and again IMO, it's been poor for years.

But the new fish and chips on the second bend were fabulous!

So Joe Jacobs has been sold to Coventry.

Only time will tell if this is shorted sighted or a wise move.

Good luck to Joe for 2014 and ahead.

• Like 1

So Joe Jacobs has been sold to Coventry.

Only time will tell if this is shorted sighted or a wise move.

Good luck to Joe for 2014 and ahead.

The two meetings on Good Friday will tell you everything you need to know about this transaction?

The two meetings on Good Friday will tell you everything you need to know about this transaction?

Why?

Just watch and you'll see why.........or why not as the case may be?

Jacobs is riding for Peterborough, good for him. He made a very brave decision to race for Glasgow last season and, from what I've seen of him, is a sensible, determined lad.

It will be interesting to see who the Witches have as a guest in place of Ellis on Good Friday, and how that rider matches up against the Panthers reserves.

Edited by Had Enough

Maybe that will help with his form dipping in the second half of the season, and as far challenging for number 1, I don't see it happening unless Ritchie has a less than good start to the season. Although rohan still hasn't been racing for very long really, he does need to make a pretty big step next season if he really is to become a top rider in a couple of years.

Just watch and you'll see why.........or why not as the case may be?

His improvement over the years hasn't been the quickest, but every season he has improved. Having said that, he did ask to be sold last season I think, so it was probably best for both parties.
  • Like 1