British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RedcarRacer

Sheffield For Sale

I hope so, but for the problem is this, is there anyone out there that really wants to spend money on buying a speedway team.

Don't forget an air fence as well

Don't forget an air fence as well

If or whoever plans to buy the club will be aware that the track neeeds an air fence for next season.

I do hope the tigers can find a buyer and can move on,there's a small bunch of loons at Scunny who love it when Sheffield fail...but the small minded pric ks don't realise the best situation for Scunny is a strong Sheffiled 1-7....fingers crossed the tigers come to the tapes in the Spring

• Like 4

I do hope the tigers can find a buyer and can move on,there's a small bunch of loons at Scunny who love it when Sheffield fail...but the small minded pric ks don't realise the best situation for Scunny is a strong Sheffiled 1-7....fingers crossed the tigers come to the tapes in the Spring

Local rivalry will always bring the worse out some people I am sure there are some Sheffield fans that are the same with Scunthorpe.

I can’t just let it go for nothing after all these years, I have put my heart and soul into Sheffield Speedway. I can’t be looking to build a team, I have told David Hoggart and Nigel Hinchliffe (team managers) not to do anything on that side of things because the club is on hold.”

He added: “I will do everything I can to ensure the sport continues at Sheffield..."

I like Neil but isn't there a bit of a contradiction there?

I'm sure the majority of scunny fans love it when Sheffield fail... like spinny says its rivalry, sure Sheffield fans feel the same about us.... I'm also pretty sure that no fan of either team is that small minded that they would want a rival team to close down.

• Like 1

I'm sure the majority of scunny fans love it when Sheffield fail... like spinny says its rivalry, sure Sheffield fans feel the same about us.... I'm also pretty sure that no fan of either team is that small minded that they would want a rival team to close down.

Agreed we all love a local derby :) I miss Hull Vikings a lot ! Always entertaining and Paul Thorp was great.

• Like 1

Agreed we all love a local derby :) I miss Hull Vikings a lot ! Always entertaining and Paul Thorp was great.

In my 'golden days of speedway spectating' clashes for New Cross against both West Ham and Wimbledon were top class and memorable local derbies. Sheer speedway magic for atmosphere.

I can’t just let it go for nothing after all these years, I have put my heart and soul into Sheffield Speedway. I can’t be looking to build a team, I have told David Hoggart and Nigel Hinchliffe (team managers) not to do anything on that side of things because the club is on hold.”

He added: “I will do everything I can to ensure the sport continues at Sheffield..."

I like Neil but isn't there a bit of a contradiction there?

I don't necessarily think so. The rights to run speedway at Sheffield have a value Neil deserves to maximise that value bearing in mind the work he has put in. It seems to me that he clearly doesn't want Sheffield to close but he has come to the end of the road. It sound to me like the guy is totally exhausted and needs a good rest.

What I'd like to know is as Neil Machin is determined not to continue as a promoter how can he decide whether or not speedway continues at Sheffield. What's to stop someone renting the track and starting again? Can't see how the BSPA could object to this providing it was "a fit and proper person"(!?!?!) and any objections from NM would surely be irrelevant as he's no longer promoting. As for riders, aren't they self employed? I used to manage a company in an industry where self-employment was the norm and there was no chance of telling anybody where they could or couldn't work. I think all that could apply to Peterborough as well. Been away from speedway for a long time and I can't believe the shambles it's become.

I don't necessarily think so. The rights to run speedway at Sheffield have a value Neil deserves to maximise that value bearing in mind the work he has put in. It seems to me that he clearly doesn't want Sheffield to close but he has come to the end of the road. It sound to me like the guy is totally exhausted and needs a good rest.

You are correct there. Over the last 2 years or so, a combination of poor weather, low crowds, inconsistent fixture lists, injuries and the attitudes of certain promoters and riders have all taken their toll. Then the air fence dictat from the SCB stirred things up even more. I think things have just got stale and he doesn't want the stress any more, and who can blame him?

What value could you attach to buying Sheffield? They rent their stadium rather than own it and like every other club their 'assets' aren't assets in the accounting sense but valueless bits of paper. I'm sure Sheffield will show a surplus income over expenditure most years and that would buck the trend for speedway.

However what price can be determined for the rights to what is essentially a one day a week, summer only, semi professional sport? Having a speedway team seems a bit like owning an old house, great to have but will be a money pit and any likely interest will come from an enthusiast rather than business person. Sheffield also need an air or foam fence installed, £20k minimum that a new owner has to invest, that's a tough one to start! Hope it all works out regardless.

Edited by MD

The uncertainty of Sheffield being able to start the season along with Peterbourgh not coming to the tapes leaves an interesting debate regarding the Prem Fours and the PLRC for next season.

As I thought, Machin asking very much for very little. He's only got a licence to sell. He has no rider assets and doesn't own the stadium.

Anyone offering big bucks would be a fool what with having to purchase a £20k air fence.

Machin clearly has no interest in running it so may as well take the price for his licence and disappear.

Machin has got some rider assets but cant be worth much.Hoggys commented in todays star weve got riders asking to ride for us !!!!!!! We heard that last year and look what we got.I think whoever takes over has got to take over a.s.a.p. get the riders sorted and a new manager with good experience.The longer it goes on we will finish up with the leftover riders nobody wants.I cant see steady,lawson and allen waiting around till we get sorted.Workington managed to get sorted last year and put a solid team together lets hope we can follow suit.