British Speedway Forum
Woz01

Coventry Bees 2014

And the house thats registered at was bought in 2011 for 345k. Most of us can only dream of that. Bomber should be dipping into his pocket for us!

And he probably has a large mortgage too. Just because you live in a relatively expensive house doesn't mean you own it.

• Like 6

And he probably has a large mortgage too. Just because you live in a relatively expensive house doesn't mean you own it.

Plus a speedway career is short so those figures are not exactly massive when you consider that. Buying a house is hardly wasted money like renting, he has a right to look after his and families future. As i said earlier if you want to put into his fund you can and if not dont, its quite simple!

• Like 1

Plus a speedway career is short so those figures are not exactly massive when you consider that. Buying a house is hardly wasted money like renting, he has a right to look after his and families future. As i said earlier if you want to put into his fund you can and if not dont, its quite simple!

surely a testimonial/farewell is more than sufficient to take care of his family

• Like 1

People obviously don't realise how much it costs to race in speedway like how much each bike costs, each engine, each service, fuel costs, flight costs, hotel costs, Mechanic wages, vans etc and the dates on the accounts you are inappropriately sharing is quite out of date.Don't see you slagging off other riders who do fan sponsorship / fund me pages. Think your post is childish and quite offensive, and sad to think that that's how you spend your time. Maybe you should have a 1:1 chat with bomber and let him show you all the outgoings of the business before you make your rude judgments based on no real facts!

• Like 2

large mortgages are not given out free of charge. You have a large mortgage, you have large payments. Banks allow you a large mortgage with large payments because you earn large amounts. The average person would not be given a mortgage to by a house that costs 345k.

surely a testimonial/farewell is more than sufficient to take care of his family

What do u reckon a rider gets from a testimonial - 10-15k?

Nice sure, but in itself hardly going to set you up for retirement at the age of say 35 is it?

Nice sure, but in itself hardly going to set you up for retirement at the age of say 35 is it?

How about getting a new job like millions of other people, even bankers don't retire at 35... :D

• Like 3

oh I see, you expect us to set him up for life?..and who chose that proffession?..that was a wind up surely????

oh I see, you expect us to set him up for life?..and who chose that proffession?..that was a wind up surely????

That was in response to you saying that surely a testimonial would allow him to support his family?

I imsgine most sportspeople, bar those who reach the very top in certain sports, will need to work after retiring from sport.

The issue many will have is thst having dedicated themselves to their chosen profession for twenty years, they may have very few skills that directly transfer to a new career.

Accordingly, I certainly dont begrudge those who mske good money in their relatively short sporting career, especially in a dangerous sport like speedway.

375k isnt a huge amount for someone nesr the top of their profession to spend on a house surely?

As a reference the average house price in auckland is around 300k (when converted to pounds), and I dont think salaries in nz are generslly higher than in the uk.

• Like 2

Not even close, say 5,000 fans attended at 15 quid its 'only' 75k plus take away running costs. A speedway riders will always need a regular job after retirement and id guess most wont have a profession or trade.

And the house thats registered at was bought in 2011 for 345k. Most of us can only dream of that. Bomber should be dipping into his pocket for us!

Really? Thought you'd be a big earner Shaun with your analytical brain??? You & Silver Bee could get four times joint income & a 25% help to buy interest free loan! :D

just wondered if anyone wants to contribute there finances on an open forum?

detail what benefits they get from the state?

no?

thought not

just wondered if anyone wants to contribute there finances on an open forum?

detail what benefits they get from the state?

no?

thought not

Someone touched a nerve?

The point being debated here is whether or not a top rate tax paying sportsman should be asking the general public for a few quid. My finances are not being debated because I haven't got my cap out asking others for money.

Many professional sportspeople retire having a job to go to because they have considered the fact they will retire one day. Several trades are open to people to train for at a distance/part-time and also sponsors can offer opportunities. They shoudl not, in my view, have the expectation that their sports earnings should keep them fed for the rest of their lives following retirement.

• Like 1

To be fair to Harris, lots of people on here moan about riders not being pro active in seeking sponsorship. Harris has asked the general public to "sponsor" part of the cost of gp engines. If you don't want to, and I imagine most wont, then just dont.

Tbh, harris has almost nil chance of a top 3 spot even with top mschinery, so I can understand a rider nearing the end of his career not wanting a large additional outlay on engines. But if his bikes are too slow I can imagine him copping a hard time on here for that as well.

Not even close, say 5,000 fans attended at 15 quid its 'only' 75k plus take away running costs. A speedway riders will always need a regular job after retirement and id guess most wont have a profession or trade.

And how many testimonials will attract 5000 people? Likely to be a couple of thousand less, which will include concessions and of course vat needs to be deducted from the ticket price as well.

Someone touched a nerve?

The point being debated here is whether or not a top rate tax paying sportsman should be asking the general public for a few quid. My finances are not being debated because I haven't got my cap out asking others for money.

Many professional sportspeople retire having a job to go to because they have considered the fact they will retire one day. Several trades are open to people to train for at a distance/part-time and also sponsors can offer opportunities. They shoudl not, in my view, have the expectation that their sports earnings should keep them fed for the rest of their lives following retirement.

i have no intention of contributing either, but i still don't see why this is fair game.

you appear to saying that as he is effectively asking for a handout then its all right to look deeper into his finances?

with that logic i assume its also ok to do the same for anyone attending a food bank then?

i have little sympathy for speedway riders, they choose the sport know the length of the career and know the risks, and to expect a 20 year job to support you for the rest of your life is unreasonable....

but still don't see what any of that has to do with his bank balance.