British Speedway Forum
uk_martin

Thank God That's Over - Thoughts Of The 2013 Season

Well my team haven't finished yet but will still post what I will remember about the 2013 season so far.

On the downside their have been far too many Mondays without meetings. Wolves have not had one rain off at Monmore Green so far but after Freddie's Testimonial on Sunday 10th March, Wolves waited till Tuesday 2nd April to start their campaign at home but there has been NINE free Mondays since then, TEN if you include the Wolves NL Select v Dudley fixture. If having a much weaker team with riders like Proctor, Skornicki and Wells are heat leaders then so be it if it means meetings every Monday against more teams and both home and away twice.

Injuries have played their part at Wolves once again with Freddie out for a while, Tai with his broken collarbone (twice now), Ty Proctor missing most of the season and Jacob Thorssell improving week in week out only to end the season with a broken arm. Add to that the big accidents to Chris Holder, Emil Sayfutdinov, Peter Karlsson, Ashley Birks etc and it's been a tough year for quite a few.

Wolves were the early pace setters in the league, partly due to the form of riders like Ty and Ludvig and also being in the right place at the right time but when Ty Proctor was injured, it took far too long to find a decent replacement and even more frustrating when riders like Michelsen, Lebedevs, Porsing and Robson join other teams and hit decent scores while Wolves wait till the last moment to sign Miskowiak who is struggling and sadly r/r was more effective. This may be the thing that costs Wolves the title.

On the plus side, Wolves have yet again started under the same promotion for over 25 years now and Monmore still provides great racing for both teams ..... shame it's not every week !! Being in contention through the season has been good and finally winning away from home for the first time since 2010.

Freddie's Testimonial was sadly hit by bad weather, but a good day still but the big big plus and memory this season has been the transformation of Tai Wffinden from a brash youngster to the ultimate professional. So many things have changed inTai and the difference is amazing. On and off track, Tai has been a pleasure to know and his Cancer Research bike ride actually bought a tear to my eye when he did his final lap at Cardiff.

That day was a great day for me in many ways as Cardiff is always special, but to go in the pits before the meeting, have a buffet laid on by Tai and meet Emil etc and seeing Tai spend so much time to speak to people, have photo's done as make sure everyone was looked after. His walk around the track at Monmore also stands out as it was during a meeting yet he signed everyone's certificate, took photo's and joked with the kids. When he ran back from the fourth bend to pick up a little lad that had got left behind was great to see and the look on those kids faces was a picture.

I will be going out to Torun in two weeks time for the final GP and had planned to do so at the start of the season, but now that it could be the day that Tai is crowned WORLD CHAMPION makes it a day I will remember in 2013 possibly more than any and to be fair, Wolves are now under dogs in the play offs and for me 2013 will be remembered mainly as the year Tai Woffinden went from being a cocky young lad to a perfect gentleman and the Pride of Britain along with being a nice guy to meet, talk to and spend time with kids, sponsors and friends.

2013 = TAI WOFFINDEN

• Like 5

The EL started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end on Sept 9th the better, but apart from that it was excellent ;)

As for 2014, they can't even do a neutral AGM or one with minor tinkering without messing it up so if it's major then thankfully it's a World Cup year for those of us interested in summer sport.

Speedway's in crisis: a large crisis. In fact, if you've got a moment, it's a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeted throughout; twenty-four hour porterage and an enormous sign on the roof saying 'This is a Large Crisis'.

Edited by Crump99

Noting wrong with Middlos comments on Twitter and I thought they were quite restrained considering the amount of abuse he was getting from total morons.

With Matt likely Chair or Vice Chair for next year, perhaps he can give some pointers to a few of the promoters who don't know what the word "promote" actually means. Certainly if he takes to role the BSPA will be in better hands.

Good post. Also what the hell some on here are complaining about Team GB is beyond me, what the hell is Neil suposed to do, if you put the kids out they will still get vastly outclassed, and the moaners will be moaning what did Neil do that for!! I think they moan for the sake of just moaning.. Im sure that Wizzer would agree with that.

Edited by Starman2006

Worst season since I started watching speedway as a young lad in 1968. Mainly down to a clueless promotion at Coventry, a lacklustre and clueless team selection, the Roynon injury debacles, the signing of Joe Screen, an almost complete lack of memorable racing (maybe five overtakes stick in the mind, and one or two outside overtakes), an embarrassingly dated clumsy presenter with no charisma, a lack of atmosphere despite healthy attendances, a succession of away drubbings in almost every meeting, the confrontational naming and shaming of bolshy fans who dared challenge the official 'company line' at April's crisis fans forum, the embarrasing tweets of the team manager, the embarrasing ousting of Blayne, the massively premature ending of the season in early September, the clumsy announcement of the extra Poole meeting (and then it's retraction)

Thank god it's over. What a nightmare of a season.

Best moments : my trips to Perry Barr, the few Storm meetings that I saw, good company on the terraces, Alan Boon's blogs..er, can't think of much else.

• Like 6

Noting wrong with Middlos comments on Twitter

Obviously you would say that thru your blue blinkers. However anyone else who expects professionalism from our riders it is also expected of its managers and promotions.

Riders have been chastised for same sort of inflammatory comments on social media.

But then we are talking of the same guy who thinks all kids grow up to drink, drive and flee from police. :neutral:

SSSSHHHH. The troll will report you to the Mods

:t:

For me best part of the season is sticking it right to the critics who said we had an awful line up at the start of the season.

TAI WOFFINDEN.

Freddie back to his best EL form.

Making the play offs.

Edited by stevebrum

Good post. Also what the hell some on here are complaining about Team GB is beyond me, what the hell is Neil suposed to do, if you put the kids out they will still get vastly outclassed, and the moaners will be moaning what did Neil do that for!! I think they moan for the sake of just moaning.. Im sure that Wizzer would agree with that.

Nobody on this thread is complaining about the performance of Team GB. Go back to sleep. ;)

• Like 1

Re: Team GB and "What is Neil supposed to do"?

Well, how about signing some Brits for the Poole Team, and developing their talents; thus truly earning the respect of the British Speedway Community?

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 1

Re: Team GB and "What is Neil supposed to do"?

Well, how about signing some Brits for the Poole Team, and developing their talents; thus truly earning the respect of the British Speedway Community?

I would have thought you would have known that Middlo is manager of the club, not the owner. Unlike football, a speedway manager does not sign riders.

So Shovlar, you're saying Middlo has absolutely NOTHING to do with team planning? I doubt that very much . . .

• Like 1

For fans of 6 of the 10 EL teams, the 2013 campaign is over. The fans of the other 4 teams will soon be joining you, don't worry.

So what are the memories that will mark the 2013 campaign out in your minds?

Team GB being embarrassed by Latvia?

Darcy "Do No Wrong" Ward's defence by Middleditch?

Rainy days with fixtures and sunny days without?

Belle Vue v Poole Round 1? (David Gordon and the Plumber from Hell)

Belle Vue v Poole Round 2? (David Gordon and the Ten Heat Blunder)

Poole v Lakeside's call-off?

Brummies and Swindon's (and everyone else's - if you scratch beneath the surface and look for the facts) financial plight?

Kings Lynn's electrical shenanigans (again)

Kings Lynn's illegal team

...Add to the list at your leisure and pleasure

OR

Did the sun shine brightly in your back garden? Did all your roses come out to bloom brightly? Was this the best and most exciting season that you can remember?

OK I admit it, this is very much a "cup half empty" post, but never before have I wanted a season to end as quickly and to look beyond the sport and onto other things (and dammit, my team is still in the play-off's with a chance of winning the damned thing)

If the Brummies fold in the closed-season, I can quite happily walk away from British speedway, do a few flights over to Poland and Sweden for my 500cc fix and leave it at that. If the Brummies don't fold, well, let's see how I feel in March, because how I feel at the moment,...well, as I say, let's wait until March.

So how's it been for you?

Well lets hope when you fly to Poland, the away team turn up for the match. Maybe avoid Torun or Rzeszow matches. Or Leszno, I believe their track prep is a bit hit and miss, and go early in the season as teams at the bottom might jettison ther high earners if they are looking good for relegation.

Plus side

Tai Woffinden

GP Series

European Chanpionship

Craig Cook

Matej Zagar

Minuses

Elite League guests, I am afraid there are too many matches which means too many missing star riders. The EL should be 12 teams racing each other once at home, once away.

Matches called off for stupid reasons

Rider injuries, so many this year

Chris Holder's twitter account

Team GB picks and performance

I would have thought you would have known that Middlo is manager of the club, not the owner. Unlike football, a speedway manager does not sign riders.

He shouldn't be picking the GB team either then. Kennett???????

So Shovlar, you're saying Middlo has absolutely NOTHING to do with team planning? I doubt that very much . . .

Matt Ford picks the team.

Worst season since I started watching speedway as a young lad in 1968. Mainly down to a clueless promotion at Coventry, a lacklustre and clueless team selection, the Roynon injury debacles, the signing of Joe Screen, an almost complete lack of memorable racing (maybe five overtakes stick in the mind, and one or two outside overtakes), an embarrassingly dated clumsy presenter with no charisma, a lack of atmosphere despite healthy attendances, a succession of away drubbings in almost every meeting, the confrontational naming and shaming of bolshy fans who dared challenge the official 'company line' at April's crisis fans forum, the embarrasing tweets of the team manager, the embarrasing ousting of Blayne, the massively premature ending of the season in early September, the clumsy announcement of the extra Poole meeting (and then it's retraction)

Thank god it's over. What a nightmare of a season.

Best moments : my trips to Perry Barr, the few Storm meetings that I saw, good company on the terraces, Alan Boon's blogs..er, can't think of much else.

Agreed. Crap Team, Crap Management, Even crappier promotion. A total debacle in every respect...!!! Unfortunately I have absolutely no higher hopes for next season with Horton and his cronies in charge. :cry:

• Like 1

The pro's:

The end of the season

Grzegorz Zengota

The no's:

Coventry Bees & their shambolic promotion.

There's nothing more to be said.

• Like 3

The pro's:

The end of the season

Grzegorz Zengota

The no's:

Coventry Bees & their shambolic promotion.

There's nothing more to be said.

As Bees supporter how do you feel about the Promotion not arranging any TEAM fixtures since September 6th ? I know there has been other meetings but the starvation of TEAM meetings involving the top riders is very strange . Will there be a Season Finale match on October 26th or that the season ended team wise ? I ask the question on behalf of a Coventry fan without access to the forum ...