British Speedway Forum

BT Sport hire in their own production facilities for the sport they cover... there are different strands of Eurosport but the UK version certainly wouldn't get involved with covering speedway on a weekly basis.

Terry Russell still handling the negotiations for British speedway.

God help us...

Suggest you watch tonight's live football between Brentford and Leyton Orient as the ground there will look empty as well . This is the same for nearly all league matches outside of the Football Premier league

I was actually there as it happens and 6.5k for a tier 3 football game is more than healthy thank you. I'm sure the atmosphere generated came over well on the box. Absolutely no comparison i'm afraid. nb play-offs for league 1 last year attracted 40k! your point is flawed. fact.

Edited by Mike.Butler
  • Like 1

SPOT on ... have heard that one suggestion being muted is that only the play-offs are shown on TV.

Yes, I've heard that very recently too!!

People still seem to be missing the point!! Its not the televising of meetings that's the issue, its the Money that WON'T be coming into the sport!!

Non-televised league meetings may actually have a beneficial effect on attendances, if the promoters get the admission charge structure right!!

Go-Speed could employ a sports production company to film some weekly speedway highlights and then try to sell a weekly/monthly programme to a TV company.

Yes, I've heard that very recently too!!

People still seem to be missing the point!! Its not the televising of meetings that's the issue, its the Money that WON'T be coming into the sport!!

Non-televised league meetings may actually have a beneficial effect on attendances, if the promoters get the admission charge structure right!!

Go-Speed could employ a sports production company to film some weekly speedway highlights and then try to sell a weekly/monthly programme to a TV company.

Or use existing video/DVD production companies who 'film' at the tracks already (using those with TV quality pictures only, of course), like GRT Media, Re-Run, Clean Cut, etc., etc.

Edited by The Abbott
  • Like 1

Philip Rising in my opinion is very good at giving information on this forum, & its always fair & balanced. The forum would be a much worse place without him.

THANKS

Philip Rising in my opinion is very good at giving information on this forum, & its always fair & balanced. The forum would be a much worse place without him.

Would still be nice to have his views on the Belle Vue v Poole farce though .

• Like 1

FARCE is about right. But I wasn't there. Had a chat with Kelvin Tatum about it and his view was that the meeting should never have started. Putting down sawdust and more material on an already saturated track only made matters worse in his opinion.

I have no concrete evidence there was any conspiracy but the fact that the meeting was conveniently called off when Poole were the requisite seven points ahead could only had fuel to the argument that there was.

Afraid that the governance of speedway in general (look at Poland last weekend) these days is pretty poor and undoubtedly one reason why TV companies aren't falling over themselves to cover a full season of domestic speedway in the UK.

what happened in Poland? is there a link or more details

Torun refused to race the 2nd leg of the play-off final as they were without the injured Gollob. A 17,000 crowd was sent home with no racing and the league title awarded to Zielena Gora (I think it was them).

FARCE is about right. But I wasn't there. Had a chat with Kelvin Tatum about it and his view was that the meeting should never have started. Putting down sawdust and more material on an already saturated track only made matters worse in his opinion.

I have no concrete evidence there was any conspiracy but the fact that the meeting was conveniently called off when Poole were the requisite seven points ahead could only had fuel to the argument that there was.

Afraid that the governance of speedway in general (look at Poland last weekend) these days is pretty poor and undoubtedly one reason why TV companies aren't falling over themselves to cover a full season of domestic speedway in the UK.

Phil, can you clarify why the covers were NOT used for this meeting? (Belle Vue v Poole) Thats if you know and I've missed the answer to this query in any other related post......

Cheers

Never to Old.

Edited by Never to old

Thanks for the response , Phil .

Regards

Phil, can you clarify why the covers were NOT used for this meeting? (Belle Vue v Poole) Thats if you know and I've missed the answer to this query in any other related post......

Cheers

Never to Old.

IT is the question no one (as yet) appears willing or able to answer...

Thanks for this Philip. It's a very troubled time for the sport. As one who paid for the Go-Speed streaming service I am very frustrated at the Polish situation where Torun's power and influence are similarly worrying. Miedzinski's riding in the play-offs was deplorable and the red card for Szombierski totally over the top. Both were huge factors in Torun's relative success.

I'll just throw one point into the debate on potential broadcasters of domestic British Speedway. Until recently I would have totally dismissed British Eurosport from the list of possibles - as you said earlier they have traditionally bought or been given programming rather than gone out to make it. This is a product of their origins as the sports arm of Eurovision, (yes, it's not just a song contest) carrying programming made by state broadcasters that couldn't be sold on the open market.

I've noticed a change recently. Taking on the GPs wasn't an enormous surprise since they fit the international nature of the channels. Lately though they've bought the UK rights to the Monday night NFL game which is a heck of a change in direction from international cycling, tennis and motorcycling. Now I've just read that Sky's coverage of the British Basketball League is switching to British Eurosport! I'm pretty sure this is the first time they've acquired a minority sport's domestic British league.

Now I'm pretty sure that there are many behind the scenes reasons why Eurosport aren't a contender since I can't see anyone wanting the coverage unless the rights were very cheap, having seen this season's farce. The editorial search for 'winners' does suggest a lack of faith in the overall product.

The BBL deal does show that things may be changing at British Eurosport. It was very noticeable how they improved their contribution to the GP coverage during the year, using Steve Day and Scott Nicholls instead of the original far from acceptable presenter who babbled his way through reviews of the heats during the gaps in the main BSI programme in the early programmes. Perhaps they realise that there is potential in the sport and it's worth investing in the coverage?

Personally I would love to see BT get involved since they currently have a major gap in midweek live sport and will need something to plug the gap next summer when the football and rugby finish. They have a very intelligent, polished approach. Oh well, it would be nice to think that speedway could fit that....

THE key thing though with Eurosport is that they don't have the OB facilities like SKY have. It is a big expense, staff, production trucks, satellite up-link and even catering.

I am sure if a third-party company provided the above, then I'm sure it'd be more appealing to Eurosport.

As I've said before, unless the BSPA sort out exactly what the product is, then SKY are likely to cut their ties; just like they did with the SGP.

PS - To the anti Phil Rising members out there; his input is always balanced and factual.

• Like 1