British Speedway Forum
stansolo

Unforgettable Speedway Names

Thirdman, I think it was Harwood(not Hereward) Pike

true sorry, bought a house off the company i worked for about 20 years ago,

Edited by The Third Man

No problemo third man-would assume Harwood went to great speedway track in sky long time ago-anyone know about Harwood and when he died-think he rode primarily for Leicester?Apologies if Harwood is still with us.

I know that Harwood Pike had a transport business after he packed in riding Speedway. One of his drivers was Reg Wilson of Sheffield fame. Harwood started his racing days at Sheffield I think then moved on to Birmingham and Norwich after the War. He then joined Wombwell Colliers where he formed the top order with little Len Tupling, Harwood then went to Leicester where he got suspended for throwing the A C U Steward in the bath, fully clothed, after the official had upset him over Pikeys gating techniques. According to the accounts told in those days Harwood did give the bloke reason to fine him in the first place anyhow but Harwood just did not accept his ideas of how his starts should be done

No mention for Ronnie Genz of Oxford fame.

Tallest Speedway Rider - Pete Wigley must be a candidate.

From the 1930's - Bluey Wilkinson, Charlie Spinks, Nobby Key, Stan Grearex, Roy Dook, Bronco Dixon, Tommy Crooms, 'Tiger' Stevenson

Tell him BOBBATH!!! :wink:

I've just trawled through this thread from 1 to 188 [what a saddo I am] and I'm surprised that nobody has listed Pee Wee Cullum of Belle Vue and Stoke and the infamous Angus Murdo McKenzie. Angus was the terror of the Hyde Road second half races many years ago. Having finally realised that he would never make the grade on the cinder tracks he opted for a totally different kind of track and made a name as country and western singer Karl Denver. Angus-Karl is now strumming in the theatres of heaven. I sincerely hope he's not tempted to make a comeback in the great speedway stadium up yonder!

Another useful rider at Hyde Road was Tink Maynard. He was doing quite well as a second string. Sadly, my ever smiling friend was killed in a track crash at Norwich in the 60s.

Someone referred in post 151, I think, to Ken Wrench. He's still very active in the sport as the announcer at Belle Vue.

This post would not be complete without record of that great Hyde Road rider and manager John Denton Oliver

Don't think I'll mention the totally unheralded and unwanted Scandinavian rider of Polish ancestry Bengt-Ove Bakwdsz

Edited by Ron Butler

No mention for Ronnie Genz of Oxford fame.

What about Graham Miles? :rolleyes:

From the 1930's - Bluey Wilkinson, Charlie Spinks, Nobby Key, Stan Grearex, Roy Dook, Bronco Dixon, Tommy Crooms, 'Tiger' Stevenson

Tommy CROOMBS. Years ago I knew Tommy and son Bobby (also a rider) very well indeed. Sadly, as in all things, lost contact as circumstances changed. I think they originated from New Malden in Surrey.

I've just trawled through this thread from 1 to 188 [what a saddo I am] and I'm surprised that nobody has listed Pee Wee Cullum of Belle Vue and Stoke and the infamous Angus Murdo McKenzie. Angus was the terror of the Hyde Road second half races many years ago. Having finally realised that he would never make the grade on the cinder tracks he opted for a totally different kind of track and made a name as country and western singer Karl Denver. Angus-Karl is now strumming in the theatres of heaven. I sincerely hope he's not tempted to make a comeback in the great speedway stadium up yonder!

Another useful rider at Hyde Road was Tink Maynard. He was doing quite well as a second string. Sadly, my ever smiling friend was killed in a track crash at Norwich in the 60s.

Someone referred in post 151, I think, to Ken Wrench. He's still very active in the sport as the announcer at Belle Vue.

This post would not be complete without record of that great Hyde Road rider and manager John Denton Oliver

Don't think I'll mention the totally unheralded and unwanted Scandinavian rider of Polish ancestry Bengt-Ove Bakwdsz

Cullum actually hated the Pee Wee nickname. He was given when he became part of Putt Mossman's motorcycle stunt team in the mid-1930s. As he was the smallest guy in the troupe and used to be the team's clown, Mossman decreed he should be known as Pee Wee. But the rider much preferred to be known as Charles Cullum - sadly though the nickname stuck with him. But he was a good rider, semi-legtrail as I remember.

Cullum actually hated the Pee Wee nickname. He was given when he became part of Putt Mossman's motorcycle stunt team in the mid-1930s. As he was the smallest guy in the troupe and used to be the team's clown, Mossman decreed he should be known as Pee Wee. But the rider much preferred to be known as Charles Cullum - sadly though the nickname stuck with him. But he was a good rider, semi-legtrail as I remember.

Thanks for the info, Speedy.

I didn't know how the nickname originated. I did know his real name was Charles though he was always billed in the Belle Vue progamme as Pee Wee. He did ride semi-legtrail and was certainly a very useful man at Hyde Road. He competed in his homeland [uSA} for some years after he left England and died some years ago.

Regards,

Ron.

Karl Denver was a Scotsman i believe.

Too tall Donny Odom.

Uppie Bos NL

Ivor Creek UK

Slant Payling ENG

Anne Elsinga NL Male.

Sooty Pigram Aus.