British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Sheffield 2014

Just for the record, Richard Hall's scores in the first 6 meetings of last season,against premier league opposition were 11+2,9,8,15,10+2 and 8+1.He then was injured in his first poor meeting at Berwick.He is brilliant to watch at Owlerton. I enjoy watching entertaining riders.

Much as I've been entertained greatly at Owlerton by Richard, his away form has never met expectations, he misses meetings to make excursions on the continent to race in long track meetings and his fallout with the promotion last year virtually guaranteed that his goose is cooked as far as Sheffield is concerned. Pity really, I rather liked him.

Just for the record, Richard Hall's scores in the first 6 meetings of last season,against premier league opposition were 11+2,9,8,15,10+2 and 8+1.He then was injured in his first poor meeting at Berwick.He is brilliant to watch at Owlerton. I enjoy watching entertaining riders.

Hally has had some fantastic races round Sheffield over the past decade,some of them awesome but we need a fresh start.His away performances can be woeful and as a heat leader he is expected to score well but on most occasions his scores are not that of an heatleader.Add that to missing meetings for longtrack and the mystery injury he sustained later on in the season to miss the rye house meeting away tells you why we should not include him.If he goes to peterboro good luck to him and he may score well on his return but he wont improve his away average.He has nothing to prove to Sheffield supporters who only see him ride at home.

Bloody hell, Richard Hall? Been there, done that. Its time to move on instead of resorting to the same old guff we had before. And surely after last season, the last thing we'd want to do is bring Hall back. Steady rider around Owlerton, but will never improve and won't give a toss once longtrack comes back around.

My reaction too.

The collective groan of disappointment from Sheffield when he signed last season could be heard in Halifax.

This is about rebuilding one of the PL's biggest clubs after two disastrous seasons and putting a side out that is attractive enough to pull back those who stop going in that time, and what the Tigers do not need are riders that have been around for years without going anywhere. They need those with potential and Hall has none.

Knight simply isn't good enough as was shown (and widely predicted) last season. A rider from the NL needs to be on at least a 7pt average from that league, not a 4pt one.

• Like 2

My reaction too.

The collective groan of disappointment from Sheffield when he signed last season could be heard in Halifax.

This is about rebuilding one of the PL's biggest clubs after two disastrous seasons and putting a side out that is attractive enough to pull back those who stop going in that time, and what the Tigers do not need are riders that have been around for years without going anywhere. They need those with potential and Hall has none.

Knight simply isn't good enough as was shown (and widely predicted) last season. A rider from the NL needs to be on at least a 7pt average from that league, not a 4pt one.

Jake's opening NL average was 5.93, rising to 7.62 by the end of the season.

yes he scored at home but big scores at home and ones and two away that's not much good for a so called heat leader but he was not the only one last year

Jake's opening NL average was 5.93, rising to 7.62 by the end of the season.

OK, but it was 1.74 in the PL. Simple truth was he was way out of his depth.

He'd come in on a 3.00 and there must be a question mark about whether he'd achieve that. Damien Koppe, on 3.20, would be in my view be a far better bet.

No doubt that Richard Hall has featured in some of the best races at Owlerton.

But for every great race at home he produce a poor one.

And frankly away he is just not good enough.

He promised so much, he was given the chance to prove himself, and unfortunately he never managed to deliver.

He has had his chance, over and over again and its now not only time for the club to move but Richard himself. .

Too be fair when put those teams together I was struggling to think of 3 point reserve to put into the team, and Jake Knight was a name that I could only think of at the time.

And to be fair it was only in the last couple of weeks before Sheffield made the changes that Jake would have been the one to stay in the team with Damien Koppe making way.

• Like 1

Jake Knight

In my opinion jake started the season very well, winning heat 2 on more than one occasion and passing Millsy on the last lap to keep Sheffield in the league cup. To see the supporters giving Jake a standing ovation made me very proud. Disaster then struck in the first league meeting away at Workington , jake lost his best engine in his first race and we also lost steady after a first race crash. Jake took his full quota of rides on his second bike and was clearly off the pace. We went about trying to get his other engines to work for him but unfortunately the engine gremlims struck, 2 x broken rocker arms and ignition system failures took there toll over the next few meetings . (Guess it wasn’t meant to be.) With the team now losing and Jake struggling with his engines the writing was on the wall, I could see the frustration in Jakes eyes when he came in after his rides, he was making gates and getting passed. The management had no option but to drop Jake and bring in Adam Roynon I cant blame them for that. Jake took his time to re group, he went out and got himself a job to pay for some new equipment and when the chance came to resume his career with Kings Lynn he jumped at it. The smile was back on his face,he was winning races again and upped his NL ave to 7.62 finishing the season on a high. He has not been able to commit to racing speedway in 2014 due to full time work commitments but will race weekends on the local MX scene.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who got behind Jake during his short time with Sheffield. Good Luck to Sheffield for 2014.

Richard

Top post Richard,

Like I say it was only the last couple weeks before we changed the team that Damien really started to pick up, before that Jake was out scoring him and his average was better.

The one thing never lack was the effort he put into his racing for Sheffield and fans will always appreciate a rider who does his best.

I wiish the lad all the best for the future.

Jake Knight

In my opinion jake started the season very well, winning heat 2 on more than one occasion and passing Millsy on the last lap to keep Sheffield in the league cup. To see the supporters giving Jake a standing ovation made me very proud. Disaster then struck in the first league meeting away at Workington , jake lost his best engine in his first race and we also lost steady after a first race crash. Jake took his full quota of rides on his second bike and was clearly off the pace. We went about trying to get his other engines to work for him but unfortunately the engine gremlims struck, 2 x broken rocker arms and ignition system failures took there toll over the next few meetings . (Guess it wasn’t meant to be.) With the team now losing and Jake struggling with his engines the writing was on the wall, I could see the frustration in Jakes eyes when he came in after his rides, he was making gates and getting passed. The management had no option but to drop Jake and bring in Adam Roynon I cant blame them for that. Jake took his time to re group, he went out and got himself a job to pay for some new equipment and when the chance came to resume his career with Kings Lynn he jumped at it. The smile was back on his face,he was winning races again and upped his NL ave to 7.62 finishing the season on a high. He has not been able to commit to racing speedway in 2014 due to full time work commitments but will race weekends on the local MX scene.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who got behind Jake during his short time with Sheffield. Good Luck to Sheffield for 2014.

Richard

thank you richard, for taking the time and trouble to put into perspective things that are not seen (or taken into consideration) from the terraces.

Jake Knight

Richard

I hope Jake does come back into the sport. There was definitely glimpses of a good rider and one over time would like to see back in a Sheffield race jacket, if he wasn't under as much pressure as he was and didn't suffer from as much mechanical problems, then we'd probably seen a much steadier rider around Owlerton.

Jake Knight

Richard

Great post Richard and I feel if you had posted jakes problems when they occurred he would have got a lot more sympathy than the flack he got.Its so hard for british youngsters to make the grade unless they get loads of cash thrown their way.Some supporters don't realise that the young lads bills are often met by parents when they haven't got many sponsors so they cant compete on a level playing field.What made it worse was the make up of our team.Jake really needed to at least make his average and more.Had he been in a stronger team he would have time to develop.I hope our new owners take a leaf out of your book and explain problems to the fans and not just fob us off with poor press releases from the last few years.They will get more respect and most supporters will accept it.Good look to jake in the future and let him improve at his own pace.

SHEFFIELD Speedway’s new management team are aware of an allegation made by Swindon Speedway regarding an alleged approach for Nick Morris.

Because of the serious nature of the allegation the consortium, through co-promoter David Hoggart, will deal direct with the British Speedway Promoters’ Association.

Said Hoggart: “We were made aware of a statement issued by Swindon Speedway and because of the serious nature of the allegation we will be dealing with the BSPA on the matter.

“There is nothing more to add at this stage.

What a team the 1st one would be, with Stead Roynon, Morris & North in the side we would be a powerhouse ! Just hope we pull out all the stops to get Nick Morris onboard - as he clearly wants to be a Sheffield rider ! Sign him up sign him up !!!!!

Although would replace Knight with another 3 pointer.

You really are deluded if you think Nick would want to sign for you if he had a choice of the Premier Lge clubs & not only because all the other teams are complete.

SHEFFIELD Speedway’s new management team are aware of an allegation made by Swindon Speedway regarding an alleged approach for Nick Morris.

Because of the serious nature of the allegation the consortium, through co-promoter David Hoggart, will deal direct with the British Speedway Promoters’ Association.

Said Hoggart: “We were made aware of a statement issued by Swindon Speedway and because of the serious nature of the allegation we will be dealing with the BSPA on the matter.

“There is nothing more to add at this stage.

Which in other words "We're as guilty as sin".